Seven hurt in crash as car runs red light

Seven people were take to hospital after a two cars collided at an intersection in Örebro in central Sweden on Friday.

One woman was seriously injured and underwent surgery during the night. Her condition is not considered life-threatening, according to Örebro police.

In the car with the woman were her 13-year-old daughter and a further four people in their twenties. The other car was carrying only the driver.

“As I understand it it is the car with many people which has crashed into the one with the single person,” Henrik Dahlström at Örebro police told the Expressen daily.

Emergency services arrived at the scene shortly after and spent 35-40 minutes there ensuring that all the injured had been taken care of.

The collision occurred at around 2am on highway 50 in Lillån in the northern part of Örebro. One of the drivers is suspected of running a red light at road junction.

There were significant amounts of debris left at the scene and a lamp post is reported to have been knocked over in the crash.

“It was pretty chaotic at the scene at first,” according to an Örebro police officer.

Police had not opened any investigation into a suspected offence on Saturday morning, focusing instead on seeing to it that the injured received care.

TT/The Local/pvs

Follow The Local on Twitter

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.


Grounded Finland ferry refloated and heading back to port

UPDATE: A ferry that ran aground next to islands between Finland and Sweden with nearly 430 crew and passengers on board, was refloated and heading for port, its owners said Sunday.

Grounded Finland ferry refloated and heading back to port
The Viking Line ship Grace hit rocks in in the Aland archipelago. Photo AFP

The Viking Line's “Grace” hit rocks on Saturday afternoon while sailing between the Finnish port of Turku and the Swedish capital Stockholm, shortly before a stopover in Mariehamn, in the Aland archipelago, Finland's coast guard said.

The passengers had to spend the night on board, though there was no immediate danger as it was not taking on water. No one was hurt in the incident.

A tug boat helped refloat the ferry in the small hours of Sunday morning, the coast guard said on Twitter.

After disembarking around 260 passengers at Mariehamn, it went on to its home port of Turku in Finland, a Viking Line spokeswoman told AFP Sunday. It would undergo repairs in the coming days, she added.

Although the cause of the accident has yet to be established, the coast guard said there were strong winds in the area at the time.

The company cancelled its Saturday ferry service, which was to have been taken by a smaller vessel, because of a storm warning.

In September, another Viking Line ferry, the Amorella, ran aground on the same Aaland Island and the passengers had to be evacuated.