SHARE
COPY LINK

MISSING PEOPLE

Trollhättan murder suspect turns himself in

A man has handed himself in to the Swedish embassy in Warsaw and is expected to travel to Sweden for questioning in connection with the suspected murder of a 23-year-old mother of two who is still missing in western Sweden.

Trollhättan murder suspect turns himself in

The 36-year-old man has told his Swedish defence lawyer, Tommy Nilsson, that he is innocent and has no idea where the woman could be.

“The police has not found anything new that is substantial,” Nilsson told the TT news agency, adding that his client had voluntarily handed himself in.

“He had a ticket to come home (to Sweden), but chose instead to go to the embassy to avoid any commotion,” said Nilsson, who was on the phone with his client when the 36-year-old walked in to the embassy.

IN PICTURES: Police and the Missing People volunteers join the search

Nilsson said any suspicion against his client was circumstantial. The 36-year-old has been arrested once before, on suspicion of kidnapping the woman (människorov), but was released.

He is now set to be questioned in connection with murder, although the missing woman has yet to be found. She has been missing from her apartment in Trollhättan since June 30th. There were substantial amounts of blood in the apartment.

The suspect has said earlier that he was set to turn himself in to clear his name.

TT/The Local/at

Follow The Local on Twitter

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

TROLLHÄTTAN

Trollhättan remembers school attack victims

Hundreds of people on Saturday turned out for a torchlight procession in the small town of Trollhättan in southwestern Sweden to honour the victims of last year’s deadly school attack there.

Trollhättan remembers school attack victims
'It was an attack on all of Sweden,' Education Minister Gustav Fridolin said. Photo: Thomas Johansson/ TT

Three people were killed in an attack that shocked Sweden as a masked, sword-wielding assailant entered the school, stabbing students and teachers who appeared to be of foreign origin. Several people were also injured. The attacker, 21-year-old Anton Lundin Pettersson, was then shot dead by police.

“It was an attack on all of Sweden,” Education Minister Gustav Fridolin said as the procession ended outside the school.

In the week running up to the one-year anniversary, students of the school had made thousands of postcards in memory of the teacher, pupil and teacher aide who were killed in the assault.

A police investigation has showed that Lundin had planned the attack, which lasted around 10 minutes, after being inspired by racist websites.

A teenage student told The Local at the time that many people at the school at first thought it was some kind of a prank.

“I was in a classroom with my class when one of my classmates’ sisters called her to warn her that there was a murderer at the school. So we locked the door to the classroom, but our teacher was still outside in the corridor.”

“We wanted to warn him, so a few of us went outside and then I saw the murderer, he was wearing a mask and had a sword. Our teacher got stabbed.”

“The murderer started chasing me, I ran into another classroom. If I had not run, I would have been murdered. I’m feeling really scared. Everyone’s scared here.”

Trollhättan is an industrial town with around 50,000 residents.