Four Swedish miners saved from burning mine

Four miners who were stuck 800 metres underground in a burning mine in central Sweden were hauled to safety on Sunday night.

Four Swedish miners saved from burning mine

A total of 30 miners were underground when the fire broke out at the Garpenberg Mines in Dalarna, central Sweden.

Twenty-six of the workers made a quick getaway, however the remaining four were working further along in the mine and headed to a rescue chamber instead to wait for help. Just before 11pm, and 90 minutes after the blaze broke out, the four miners were pulled to safety.

“Those who were left in the rescue chamber have come up now, everyone is in good health,” Lars Westerfors, emergency worker on the scene, told the Aftonbladet newspaper.

Experts are still unsure exactly what caused the fire, but suspicions point to a vehicle that may have gone up in flames.

Marcela Sylvander, the spokeswoman from the mining company, told the TT news agency that the emergency shelter had fresh air, water, and access to telephone and radio contact. She added that the mines had an electronic system to alert workers above ground how many miners were underground at all times.

TT/The Local/og

Follow The Local on Twitter

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.


Stockholm firefighters tackle bus depot blaze

Emergency services in Stockholm were continuing on Tuesday morning to tackle a fire that started in a bus depot almost 24 hours earlier.

Stockholm firefighters tackle bus depot blaze
File photo of a fire engine in Stockholm: Pontus Lundahl / TT

The fire, which began at around 10.30am on Monday, is likely to cause problems with traffic diversions and irregular public transport throughout Tuesday, according to SL, the company which runs the capital city's public transport.

“It's still burning and we don't know yet how long we will need to be there. Probably the whole day,” said Hans Eriksson from the Stockholm fire service. “Now we are concentrating on protecting the other surrounding buildings.”

The fire began in connection with work on the roof of the building, which contains a large bus depot and the connected offices.

Eriksson said: “It's an old building with a roof built in a complicated way and construction work, so we haven't wanted to sent people up to the roof and fight the fire from within. That's another reason it's taken longer.”

No buses are reported damaged as most of the fleet were on Stockholm's roads at the time of the fire.

Police have opened an investigation into carelessness endangering of the public.