Sweden's news in English

Editions:  Austria · Denmark · France · Germany · Italy · Norway · Spain · Sweden · Switzerland

Ikea issues lamp warning after toddler death

Share this article

Ikea issues lamp warning after toddler death
Photo: TT
09:03 CET+01:00
Swedish furniture retailer Ikea on Friday issued a safety warning regarding one of its lamps, involved in the death of a toddler in the UK who was strangled with its cord.

"Ikea has received a report of an incident where a 16-month-old child in a crib died after becoming entangled in the cord of a Smila wall lamp," the company said in a statement for US consumers.

On its Swiss website, Ikea specified that the incident, which according to media reports dates back to October last year, took place in Britain.

The company also mentions another European case in which "a 15-month-old child was involved in a near-strangulation incident when it became entangled in a lamp's cord".

The US Consumer Product Safety Commission said that "consumers should stop using this product unless otherwise instructed".

"It is illegal to resell or attempt to resell a recalled consumer product," it added.

The company recommended the consumers check immediately that the lamp and cord are out of reach of children and securely fastened to the wall, and offers a free repair kit which contains safety instructions and self-adhesive fasteners.

 
Get notified about breaking news on The Local

Share this article

The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
Become a Member or sign-in to leave a comment.

From our sponsors

How to work 9-5 and travel the rest of the time

A full-time job shouldn't stop you from satisfying your wanderlust. The Local spoke to Travel After 5 blogger Alline Waldhelm to find out her tips and tricks for travellers who only have 25 days of annual leave.

Discussion forum