SHARE
COPY LINK
KARLSKRONA CHILD MURDER

CRIME

School head suspended after 8-year-old’s death

The principal of a school in Karlskrona has been suspended after he failed to act on signs that an eight-year-old girl was suffering abuse at home. She was later found dead.

School head suspended after 8-year-old's death
Police seal off the scene in Karlskrona following the discovery of an eight-year-old girl who was pronounced dead in hospital. Photo: Anna Sunesson / TT
 
An eight-year-old girl, called Yara by the Swedish tabloids, was found in a critical condition at her southern Sweden home in early May. She died later that day in hospital. Her legal guardians, a man and a woman, were both arrested on the suspicion of murder.
 
On Tuesday, the principal at the child's school was suspended.
 
The Karlskrona municipality confirmed that the principal knew there were troubles at home, but had chosen against sending a formal notification to the social services. 
 
"He was aware that there was a case and that she had a guardian. But he was satisfied with the information and never expressed his official concern," Maria Persson, head of the children's and youth services in Karlskrona, told the Aftonbladet newspaper.
 
The paper revealed that other teachers at the school were also aware of the abuse, but that it was ultimately the principal's responsibility to act.
 
The deceased child's father, who lives in Gaza, said that hearing the news made him feel "even stupider".
 
"So many people seem to have known about Yara's situation without saying anything to us. How could they leave her in the lurch like that?" he told the paper.
 
The principal will now undergo a paid suspension until the investigation is over. 
 
The girl was found in a critical condition on May 1st. A neighbour had previously contacted police after suspecting the girl was being abused.
 

Police are yet to reveal any further details about the crime.

 

ALMEDALEN 2022

Attacker ‘severely disturbed’ during stabbing at Swedish political festival

Theodor Engström, the 33-year-old man who stabbed psychiatrist Ing-Marie Wieselgren to death at the Almedalen political festival in July, was seriously psychiatrically disturbed at the time of his attack, forensic psychiatrists have ruled.

Attacker 'severely disturbed' during stabbing at Swedish political festival

According to the Hela Gotland newspaper the Swedish National Board of Forensic Medicine has ruled that the man was so disturbed at the time of his attack he had lost the ability to understand the consequences of his actions, and has as a result recommended that he be given psychiatric treatment rather than a prison term.

The agency said that Engström had still been disturbed at the time he was given psychiatric assessment, and warned that there was a risk that Engström would commit further criminal acts. 

“This is a question which has relevance at a future stage,” said prosecutor Henrik Olin. “It means he cannot be sentenced to jail, but will instead receive psychiatric care. But it is not going to change how the investigation is carried out.” 

READ ALSO: What do we know about the Almedalen knife attack?

Engström stabbed Wieselgren, who worked as psychiatric coordinator for the Swedish Association of Local Authorities and Regions, as she was on the way to take part on a discussion at the Almedalen political festival. She died in hospital later that day. 

Engström has admitted to carrying out the attack, telling police that he intended to make a protest against the state of psychiatric healthcare in Sweden. 

SHOW COMMENTS