Swedish police beef up security after attacks
TT/The Local · 16 Feb 2015, 07:46
Published: 16 Feb 2015 07:46 GMT+01:00
- As it happened: Denmark mourns terror victims (16 Feb 15)
- Swedish Jews 'in fear' after Denmark attacks (15 Feb 15)
- Police kill Copenhagen shooting suspect (15 Feb 15)
Sweden's Home Secretary Anders Ygeman told news wire TT that a discussion is being carried out between the Swedish government and religious groups to strengthen security.
“In the short term the police will increase their presence, but over a longer period of time we need to work together with the religious groups to help all Jews living in Sweden feel safe and secure,” he said.
The opposition leader of the centre-right Alliance's Moderates party Anna Kinberg Batra also emphasized the severity of the attacks.
She told TT: “We have these past weeks seen several examples of terrorism and violent extremism, also directed at Jewish targets, and it is very serious. Everybody has to be able to observe their faith without fearing violence.”
“We need strong cooperation on a European level between governments and agencies to have sharp action on terrorism ready and to be able to better prevent radicalization.”
Meanwhile, Copenhagen Police confirmed on Sunday that the alleged gunman in the dual shooting attacks was previously known to officers due to his involvement in gangs.
“He is a young man aged 22, born in Denmark, and he is known by police for several crimes,” said the statement.
The man, who was himself killed by police early on Sunday, had a history of assault and of violation of Danish regulations on the possession of weapons, according to the statement, which did not give further details.
Although police did not name the subject, Danish and Swedish media reported it as Omar Abdel Hamid El-Hussein. Subsequent media reports said that the 22-year-old was released from jail only two weeks ago after serving a term for aggravated assault.
The police statement added that the investigation was focusing on the man's movements before, during and after the shootings.
It said investigators were also trying to ascertain if the suspect had received assistance from others.
Police are currently working under the assumption that the man was acting alone when he carried out the twin shootings.
A 55-year-old man, named in media reports as Finn Norgaard, was killed when the attacker opened fire on a cultural centre hosting a debate on freedom of speech on Saturday afternoon. In the second attack, the gunman killed a 37-year-old Jewish man, named as Dan Uzan, outside Copenhagen's main synagogue.
Five police officers were also wounded in the two attacks.