This crispy baked asparagus makes a wonderful and easy starter, tapas or addition to a buffet. It can be eaten with a knife and fork or as finger food for dipping in some lovely lemony mayonnaise.
Preparation: 10 min
Cooking: 10 min
450 g (1 lb) green asparagus spears (untrimmed weight)
50 g (¾ cup) good quality breadcrumbs
25 g (¼ cup) Västerbottenost (Västerbotten cheese), freshly grated
freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 tbsp flour
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 lemons, halved
120 g (½ cup) good quality mayonnaise, plain or lemony
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F, gas 6, fan 180°C).
2. Break the woody ends off the asparagus and discard (or keep for making soup). They should snap easily at the end of the woody part.
3. Mix the breadcrumbs, cheese and some freshly ground black pepper on a large plate.
4. Dredge the asparagus spears in the flour, then toss them in the beaten egg andfinally in the breadcrumb mixture.
5 Spread them out in a single layer on a wire rack on a baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes until golden brown.
6. Serve with half a lemon per person and a generous portion of good quality mayonnaise. Absolutely delicious!
This recipe was originally published on food writer John Duxbury's Swedish Food website.