Fend off the bad weather with a Swedish beetroot salad
The Local · 27 May 2016, 06:59
Published: 27 May 2016 06:59 GMT+02:00
- Four fantastic foodie events across Sweden this weekend (26 May 16)
- This is the best Swedish meatballs recipe in the world (13 May 16)
- The Swedish strawberry drink that's perfect for summer (06 May 16)
Makes: Two portions as a side salad
Time: 10 minutes (including five minutes cooking)
Level: Very easy
125g (5 oz) peeled raw beetroot (3 or 4 small roots)
1 tsp butter
1 tbsp virgin olive oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp sesame seeds
1 unwaxed lemon, zest and juice
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
100 g (4 oz) feta cheese, crumbled into chunks
1 tbsp freshly chopped herbs, such as mint, parsley or dill
1. Peel the beetroots and finely grate in a food processor. (If you are grating them by hand take care as the juice can splash and stain clothing.)
2. Heat the butter and olive oil in a saucepan until the butter froths. Add the cumin and sesame seeds and cook gently for two minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add the grated beetroot and turn the heat to low. Continue heating for 2 or 3 minutes stirring thoroughly.
4. Now turn off the heat and add the lemon zest and juice and then season with salt and black pepper.
5. Stir in half of the feta cheese.
6. Transfer to a serving dish or place on top of some toast.
7. Top with the remaining cheese and sprinkle with the herbs. (This salad is best when still warm, but it doesn’t need to be hot.)
This recipe was originally published on food writer John Duxbury’s Swedish Food website.