Isis jihadist seeks asylum in Sweden
TT/The Local · 16 Jun 2016, 17:09
Published: 16 Jun 2016 17:09 GMT+02:00
- Swedish court clears first 'terror travel' suspect (14 Jun 16)
- Police seize weapons 'en route to Swedish militants' (13 May 16)
- Swedish city ‘receiving more tips about extremists’ (05 May 16)
Police superintendent Leif Fransson was furious at having to keep the 46-year-old Bosnian in the country after his case was handed over to the Migration Agency.
“Sweden has got a reputation as a safe gateway for terrorists. As soon as these people play their trump card and shout ‘asylum’ the pearly gates are opened,” he told newspaper Sydsvenskan.
The 46-year-old arrived with his four children on a direct flight from Tuzla in Bosnia on Monday, the newspaper said.
Border police took him into custody on discovering he was barred from entering Sweden. His wife was already in Malmö visiting a friend and came to pick up the children at the airport.
France had previously ensured the man was placed on a Schengen area watchlist in order to block him from entering countries inside the European border zone.
Security services in Europe regard the man as a veteran jihadist who is considered highly dangerous. But the right to apply for asylum supersedes other concerns, lawyer Hans Bredberg, an expert on asylum law, told the TT news agency.
“Everybody has the right to seek asylum - it’s in the Geneva Convention.”
Bredberg said he expected the man to be deported after his application was examined.
The Migration Agency promised to process the application quickly, and said it would take into account the views of the Swedish security police, Säpo.
Bosnia is not considered dangerous by the agency, a fact that will further damage the man’s chances of getting asylum.
Interior Minister Anders Ygeman said the man would remain locked up while his application was being examined.