SHARE
COPY LINK

SVT

Trump an ’embarrassment’ Springsteen tells Sweden

Rock legend Bruce Springsteen has described Donald Trump as an embarrassment to the United States, saying the Republican presidential candidate is a demagogue with simple solutions.

Trump an 'embarrassment' Springsteen tells Sweden
Bruce Springsteen tells SVT talk show host that Trump is an 'embarrassment' to the US. Photo: SVT/Youtube
Springsteen, who has dramatized the plight of working-class Americans in his music, said he understands how Trump could seem “compelling” to people who are economically insecure.
   
“The absurdity is beyond cartoon-like. But he's gotten close enough (to the White House) so it can make you nervous,” he told “Skavlan,” a talk show in Norway and Sweden, during an interview released Friday.
   
“I don't think he's going to win, but even him running is a great embarrassment if you're an American,” he said.
 
Trump knows how to tell voters “some of the things they want to hear,” he added, including to people “uncomfortable with the browning of America.”
   
“We have certain problems in the United States — tremendous inequality of wealth distribution — that makes for ripe ground for demagoguery,” Springsteen said. “He has a very simple answer to all these very, very complex problems.”
   
Springsteen recorded the interview ahead of next week's release of his memoir “Born to Run,” which describes his childhood in New Jersey and rise to fame.
   
The “Born in the USA” singer, famous for his onstage stamina, has drawn a diverse field of devoted fans for decades, including New Jersey Governor Chris Christie, one of Trump's most public backers.
   
Springsteen insisted for years that he would let his music speak for him but has been more openly political since the election in 2004, when he campaigned for John Kerry in his unsuccessful bid to win the White House from George W. Bush.
 

NORWEGIAN

Norwegian to slash staff by half in wake of Trump travel ban

Norwegian Air Shuttle said on Thursday it would temporarily lay off up to half its staff, following the US travel ban and the novel coronavirus outbreak.

Norwegian to slash staff by half in wake of Trump travel ban
A Boeing 737 33-S operated by Norwegian landing at Oslo's Gardermoen Airport. Photo: Erlend Aas/ NTB Scanpix/AFP
“The new restrictions imposed further pressure on an already difficult situation,” Jacob Schram, CEO of Norwegian, said in a statement, referring to the 30-day travel ban from Europe to the US introduced by US president Donald Trump.
   
“Due to the extraordinary market situation as a result of the coronavirus… we must look at all possible measures to reduce costs,” the company said in a statement.
   
“This unfortunately also includes temporary lay-offs of up to 50 percent of our employees and the number may increase,” it added, confirming the staff would be let go.
 
READ ALSO: 
 
The low-cost carrier also said it was cancelling more than 4,000 flights, including 3,000 already announced on Tuesday.
   
“We do not rule out that others may follow,” airline spokesman Lasse Sandaker-Nielsen told AFP. “The situation is changing from minute to minute,” he told AFP.
   
According to the airline, about 40 percent of its long-haul fleet would be grounded as it was cancelling the majority of flights from European airports to the US.
   
The company said it would continue to operate flights between London — which is excluded from the travel ban — and the US, and hoped to re-route as many of its passengers as possible.
   
Norwegian, which has been in deficit for three years and is heavily indebted due to an ambitious expansion policy, especially in long-haul flights, has been plummeting on the Oslo Stock Exchange.
   
On Thursday, after the announcement by the US president, the share fell by 22 percent. The stock has fallen by over 80 percent in the last month.
SHOW COMMENTS