SHARE
COPY LINK

FOOTBALL

Zlatan banned for three games after admitting violent conduct

Swedish striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic will have to sit out Manchester United's FA Cup quarter-final at Chelsea after accepting a charge of violent conduct, England's Football Association has said.

Zlatan banned for three games after admitting violent conduct
Tyrone Mings and Zlatan Ibrahimovic. Photo: Martin Rickett/PA via AP

As well as Monday's FA Cup clash, the 35-year-old Ibrahimovic – United's leading scorer this season with 26 goals – will also miss the Premier League matches against Middlesbrough and West Bromwich Albion.

Both Ibrahimovic and Bournemouth defender Tyrone Mings were charged on Monday following two incidents in Saturday's bad-tempered 1-1 Premier League draw.

Mings appeared to deliberately stamp on Ibrahimovic's head as he jumped over him late in the first half at Old Trafford and the Swede seemed to retaliate moments later by elbowing the defender in the head.

Ibrahimovic has now accepted the charge of violent conduct and an immediate three-match ban.

Both players would ordinarily have been facing three-game bans but the FA took the unusual step of saying on Monday that in the case of Mings the standard punishment was “clearly insufficient”.

Bournemouth had until 6pm GMT Tuesday to decide whether to contest the charge against Mings.

On Saturday match referee Kevin Friend spoke to Ibrahimovic, who had already been booked, following his elbow on Mings, but neither player was cautioned.

As a result, the incident was referred to a panel of three former elite referees, who unanimously concluded that both offences merited red cards.

Ibrahimovic denied elbowing Mings on purpose, saying after the game: “I jump up and jump high and he jumps into my elbow. It is not my intention to hurt someone.”

Mings, whose conduct was widely criticized by a number of former players turned football pundits, said he had not intentionally stamped on Ibrahimovic's head.

“I would never do that. That's not in my game,” he said. “Hard and fair is how I like to tackle, but off-the-ball stuff like that isn't part of my game.”

At the very least, Mings now stands to miss league matches against West Ham, Swansea and Southampton.

FOOTBALL

Croatian player tests positive ahead of Sweden match

Croatian midfielder Marcelo Brozovic tested positive for Covid-19 on Friday, a day ahead of the country's Nations League match with Sweden, the Croatian football federation (HNS) said.

Croatian player tests positive ahead of Sweden match
Croatian midfielder Marcelo Brozovic (left) tested positive for coronavirus on Friday. Photo: Miguel Medina / AFP
“Brozovic's Inter Milan and Swedish epidemiologists were informed about the positive test,” an HNS statement said.
   
The player's positive result came two days after defender Domagoj Vida was informed of a positive Covid-19 test after playing the first half of a friendly with Turkey in Istanbul.
   
Apart from Brozovic, 27, one staff member also tested positive.
   
They were both isolated from other members of the national team.
   
After Sweden, Croatia play another Nations League game against Portugal on Tuesday.
   
Croatia, runners-up at the 2018 World Cup, are third in their Nations League group which also includes France, the team that beat them to the World Cup, Cristiano Ronaldo's Portugal and Sweden.
SHOW COMMENTS