Far-right extremist jailed in Sweden for home bomb factory

A far-right extremist in Sweden has been found guilty of serious weapons offences, after police found a bomb factory in the living room of his house in Skaraborg.

Far-right extremist jailed in Sweden for home bomb factory
A police handout of the man's living room at the time it was raided in November. Photo: Police

The district court in Skaraborg, in western Sweden found the 25-year-old man guilty of possessing illegal weapons but not of planning a bomb explosion. He was sentenced to three and a half years in prison. 

When the police searched the house in November last year, they found a revolver, material that could be used to make explosive devices, other weapons, and a 3D-printed weapon. They also found 3D-printed parts that, according to the prosecution, could be used to assemble more weapons.

“The court found that the man had the knowledge and possibility to produce explosive devices, but that there were no concrete plans to bring about an explosion with danger for other people’s life or health or damage of property,” the court said in a press release. 

The man was found guilty of “serious weapons offences”, “weapons offences”, “preparation to commit weapons offences”, transgressions under Sweden’s explosive substances control laws, and transgressions against Sweden’s regulations governing substances which can cause fire and explosions. 

The court also found that the man had previously been a member of a far-right organisation.

“It is clearly apparent that he has an extreme-right, violent motive, and a background in those circles,” the prosecutor Henrik Olin said when he laid down the charges. 

The sentence was pronounced on Friday, the 22nd of July, coincidentally exactly 11 years after the double attack in Oslo and the island of Utøya carried out by the far-right extremist Anders Breivik. Some 77 people died in Breivik’s attacks, and more than three hundred more were wounded. 

Olin had originally asked for a four-year prison sentence, but this was reduced after the man was freed from planning a bomb attack. “I will take a moment to reflect if I’m satisfied with this or if I will appeal that part,” the man told TT after the judgement. 

Before the trial, the 25-year-old underwent assessment by forensic psychiatrists who found that he had been affected by a psychiatric disorder at the time his house was raided, but was not suffering from the same disorder during the investigation.

As a result, he will serve his sentence in prison and not at a psychiatric institute.

Olin is also prosecuting Theodor Engström for fatally stabbing the leading psychiatrist Ing-Marie Wisselgren at the Almedalen political festival at the start of this month. 

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.


Attacker ‘severely disturbed’ during stabbing at Swedish political festival

Theodor Engström, the 33-year-old man who stabbed psychiatrist Ing-Marie Wieselgren to death at the Almedalen political festival in July, was seriously psychiatrically disturbed at the time of his attack, forensic psychiatrists have ruled.

Attacker 'severely disturbed' during stabbing at Swedish political festival

According to the Hela Gotland newspaper the Swedish National Board of Forensic Medicine has ruled that the man was so disturbed at the time of his attack he had lost the ability to understand the consequences of his actions, and has as a result recommended that he be given psychiatric treatment rather than a prison term.

The agency said that Engström had still been disturbed at the time he was given psychiatric assessment, and warned that there was a risk that Engström would commit further criminal acts. 

“This is a question which has relevance at a future stage,” said prosecutor Henrik Olin. “It means he cannot be sentenced to jail, but will instead receive psychiatric care. But it is not going to change how the investigation is carried out.” 

READ ALSO: What do we know about the Almedalen knife attack?

Engström stabbed Wieselgren, who worked as psychiatric coordinator for the Swedish Association of Local Authorities and Regions, as she was on the way to take part on a discussion at the Almedalen political festival. She died in hospital later that day. 

Engström has admitted to carrying out the attack, telling police that he intended to make a protest against the state of psychiatric healthcare in Sweden.