The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

A rant about snow plowing in Stockholm

Why plow if there isn't any snow?

byke
post 24.Jan.2010, 12:50 AM
Post #1

Well its 23.30 (24 jan 2010) right now, and they have decided to bring the snow plows onto Drottninggatan.
The problem is, there is no snow on Drottninggatan at present ?

So I have the stupid motherf*ckers driving up and down outside my window trying to scrape the only possible bit of ice / snow residue out of the concave part of the Gutter where the road meets the pavement. Obviously this isnt possible and there is even sparks coming from the front scoops of the snow truck as its just grinding against the grounds and not lifting anything (as there is nothing to lift).

I know , I know ... I shouldn't complain ... I should conceder myself lucky they even plow my street.
But if a job needs doing, shouldnt it be done properly ?

I expect that if there is snow on the ground, then it should get plowed.
I also expect that if there isnt snow on the ground that they have the brains not to waste resources and at the same time damage the road through negligence. It doesnt take a rocket scientist to know that if its not raining, you dont need to use your windscreen wipers ...shame the swedish plowers cant figure this out.

This is a blatant abuse of wasted resources and tax money.
Why on earth would they even bother trying to plow my street if their is nothing on it? (are they contract workers that operate for the local authority?)

In-between writing this, and checking on my son who is sleeping rough tonight they have been 4 more passes on my street to ensure they fill their scoops up with nothing.

I even took a picture as they made yet another pass (23.45).
Its ridiculous as all they do is damage the road, create a huge noise with the scoops grinding up the street along with a vibration which is very very noticeable.

I also wanted to add, that they had griters on the back of these huge JCB style monster trucks ... but they dont bother using them even when there is snow out?

I smell a con

F*kin twats.
Go to the top of the page
+
Essingen
post 24.Jan.2010, 08:03 AM
Post #2

This is pretty much what I was on about in another thread, except in this case it was a private contractor. Complete waste of taxpayers money.
+
Rick Methven
post 24.Jan.2010, 08:21 AM
Post #3

Hmmm

23:45 Saturday I smell triple hourly rate for the driver cool.gif
+
welshgal
post 24.Jan.2010, 08:57 AM
Post #4

at least you get snowploughs regularly (even if it is at stupid o'clock and with no snow). My bins get picked up on a monday morning in the uk, except they were still waiting to be picked up a week after i arrived to visit dad in sweden (according to my mum) because my council apparently has only got 3 snowploughs for the whole, large, mostly rural county.Which they couldn't use because it was 'too icy' and they had already run out of grit,so the bin men couldn't even get their lorries out of the depot. I believe Mr S. For Brains works as head of my county's highways department.!
+
welshgal
post 24.Jan.2010, 09:01 AM
Post #5

by the way byke, why was your son sleeping rough? assume it was for some sort of charity event? if so, well done him cos its minus 8 where i am in skåne right now and probably twice that in stocholm!
+
Nemesis
post 24.Jan.2010, 09:04 AM
Post #6

QUOTE (welshgal @ 24.Jan.2010, 08:57 AM) *
at least you get snowploughs regularly (even if it is at stupid o'clock and with no snow). My bins get picked up on a monday morning in the uk, except they were still wait ... (show full quote)

When it comes to infrastructure, both the UK and Eire could learn a lot from the Swedish. Actually they could learn how to build and run an infrastrure.

I know Sweden is not perfect, but it is significantly better for infrastructure than UK or Eire.

You don't hear announcements in Sweden about the wrong type of snow or other nonsense. They get to the job of getting infrastructure functional as fast as possible.
+
welshgal
post 24.Jan.2010, 09:13 AM
Post #7

I know what you mean, Nemesis, have to travel from west wales to stansted airport and even though i caught a through train to Paddington at 7.30 am i am so glad i did cause about an hour later it started snowing in wales and they cancelled all the trains behind us because of it. i have never had that happen in skåne just because its snowed.
+
Rick Methven
post 24.Jan.2010, 09:30 AM
Post #8

QUOTE (Nemesis @ 24.Jan.2010, 09:04 AM) *
You don't hear announcements in Sweden about the wrong type of snow or other nonsense. They get to the job of getting infrastructure functional as fast as possible.

Or leaves on the line laugh.gif
+
Nemesis
post 24.Jan.2010, 09:36 AM
Post #9

smile.gif

I still make jokes about that one.

I remember it on the news years ago. The presenter was reading it out and it was obvious he thought it must be a wind up rolleyes.gif

The tabloids had a field day over that one.

The real problem is lack of long term infrastructure investment in UK and Eire. Eire is even worse than the UK for infrastructure.
+
byke
post 24.Jan.2010, 09:47 AM
Post #10

To be quite honest ladies and gentlemen (and no offense meant to any of you), Since I purposely choose not to live in Wales or anywhere else in the world that has similar issues, I couldnt care less. I live here and when having (agreeing) to pay some of the highest in the world (for a high level of social standards). Then it is a travesty to see such resources blatantly wasted.

It drains the Tax payer of public services, It causes extra costs for repairs from their negligence, it disturbs myself and family (aswell as other families). I would much rather see this cash spent on something worthwhile (even if it was just to give local school kids a day free from "gritz" from school dinners for day by allocating 20 öre more to a childs daily food expenses)

Again, this is not a case of wrong snow. This is a case of NO snow.

I am not criticizing because I am anti Swedish, and using such disregards to drum up hatred in a way to voice my descent and try to bring down the civilization through civil unrest (because of a snow truck).

I am simply criticizing as a citizen who doesnt want to see a blatant waste of their local resources. And the thing I dont get is why if something is not right, should it not be spoken about ?? Or is it a matter of a 2 tier system?
+
Rick Methven
post 24.Jan.2010, 10:04 AM
Post #11

We have similar problems here.

Not had them ploughing when there was NO snow, but there is often not a plough in sight during the working day making it difficult to move about, and they suddenly appear after 6pm and at week-ends.

The ploughing in our neighbourhood is done by private contractors, I have been told by a farmer friend, That the contractor get a flat hourly fee which is increased for "unsocial working" ie anytime after 6pm.
What pisses me off is that the contractors are ripping off the Kommun making them cash strapped for road works. Last year the planned re-surfaceing of our street, that is full of pot holes was delayed because of lack of funds.

I suppose the hard winter will eat up so much of this years budget that it will be put off once again angry.gif
+
IND
post 24.Jan.2010, 10:09 AM
Post #12

byke: If you really want to make an impact as a responsible citizen, I suggest that you contact the authorities responsible for this and get an explanation and provide feedback. Contacting Media could be another option.

I am quite sure that none of them (Swedish authorities or news papers) are reading your post on local and going to take an action smile.gif
+
swozzie
post 24.Jan.2010, 01:53 PM
Post #13

But from what I can tell from his posts - all byke likes to do is whinge
+
Mzungu
post 24.Jan.2010, 02:35 PM
Post #14

^
Huh...That goes for 80% of immigrants and wannabes posting on TL...

*Boer maak 'n Plan* :wink::
+
jack sprat
post 24.Jan.2010, 02:38 PM
Post #15

QUOTE (swozzie @ 24.Jan.2010, 02:53 PM) *
But from what I can tell from his posts - all byke likes to do is whinge

In that case he should be a very happy man.

According to the results of a medical survey I heard a few weeks back,people who whinge,rant,share their burdens and generally get things of their chests are much happier,healthier and at less risk of heart attacks than those who try to keep it all bottled up and pretend everything in the garden is rosie.

Probably one in the eye for those on the depressing local thread...
It's all good fun really... biggrin.gif
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: