The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
35 Pages V  « < 17 18 19 20 21 > »    Reply to this topic

My experience "trying" to move to Sweden

Please god, just end me now

Svedallas
post 26.Jul.2018, 02:19 PM
Post #271

QUOTE (Cheeseroller @ 25.Jul.2018, 09:46 AM) *
Actually he has a good point. When I moved to Sweden in 1998, we bought a 2-bed apartment 40 minutes from Stockholm with a sea view for 180,000:-. The previous owner had bough ... (show full quote)

But during the early 2000's, the property developers lobbied the government to restrict access to land, to increase property prices and profits.
+1

This is now a profit making business. People are legally now allowed to charge more than the %, which was not the case way back when.

Seeing apartments being rented for 20k up is a fine joke. And, someone is ready to pay that.
Go to the top of the page
+
Saywhatwhat
post 26.Jul.2018, 05:50 PM
Post #272

QUOTE (Svedallas @ 26.Jul.2018, 03:19 PM) *
But during the early 2000's, the property developers lobbied the government to restrict access to land, to increase property prices and profits. +1This is now a profit mak ... (show full quote)

Where have you seen 20k and up and for how many bedrooms? Is that the first or second hand contract.

In some places of the world I can see why people would bite the bullet for that price, for culture and weather, perhaps... And also because they would maybe make more money... But in Sweden, anywhere, even in Stockholm, 20k is pure nuts. Unless it's a nice 4 bedroom townhouse in central Stockholm that's been renovated to the T. And even then I might need convincing
+
SmokerT69
post 26.Jul.2018, 10:04 PM
Post #273

QUOTE (bonviveur @ 26.Jul.2018, 12:33 PM) *
If I was you would try to convince wife to move in to your place, parents always can fly and visit if they want, no need to sacrify anything to fit other peoples wishes, it is ... (show full quote)

Again, we're only here because my wife wants our kids to grow up around her family. My family does regularly visit, at least once or twice a year. But my family is spread all over the entire world, from Canada to New Zealand to the Caribbean. My wife's entire family is within 100km.

It's funny hearing about apartments being rented for 20k in Stockholm. That's insane, my family house in Bermuda, 3 bedrooms with 2 baths and a nanny's quarter is rented for $10k USD in a gated community with its own pond, pink sand beach and many other benifits. Thats insane that someone would pay that much money for a place in a Stockholm.
+
Saywhatwhat
post 27.Jul.2018, 12:17 AM
Post #274

QUOTE (SmokerT69 @ 26.Jul.2018, 11:04 PM) *
Again, we're only here because my wife wants our kids to grow up around her family. My family does regularly visit, at least once or twice a year. But my family is spread ... (show full quote)

Probably 20k sek, genius. C'Mon, Mon.

Still quite a lot... But depends what they refer to.
+
Svedallas
post 27.Jul.2018, 10:46 AM
Post #275

QUOTE (Saywhatwhat @ 26.Jul.2018, 06:50 PM) *
Where have you seen 20k and up and for how many bedrooms? Is that the first or second hand contract. In some places of the world I can see why people would bite the bullet for ... (show full quote)

There is plenty 20k apartments, central stockholm.

If you are looking for a nice 2 bedroom balcony, that is the price...on average.
+
SmokerT69
post 27.Jul.2018, 11:44 AM
Post #276

Eh, so the lady at skatteverket in Gävle said I can't get a coordination number because the job is for too little time. It's only 1 month to start and then he'll have work for me off and on again. Apparently that's not good enough lol. She also said I don't have to pay taxes? Then she asked me if I want to pay taxes? I have no idea what's going on lol. I just asked for another person who speaks English better. Waiting now for them.
+
pepitoAndalucia
post 27.Jul.2018, 11:56 AM
Post #277

QUOTE (SmokerT69 @ 27.Jul.2018, 12:44 PM) *
Eh, so the lady at skatteverket in Gävle said I can't get a coordination number because the job is for too little time. It's only 1 month to start and then he'll ... (show full quote)

Just say, you don't want to pay taxes biggrin.gif

Have you managed to find work without swedish?.
+
SmokerT69
post 27.Jul.2018, 12:06 PM
Post #278

QUOTE (pepitoAndalucia @ 27.Jul.2018, 12:56 PM) *
Just say, you don't want to pay taxes biggrin.gif. Have you managed to find work without swedish?.

Yes, I've got a few jobs now but got turned down because of no personummer. I just got offered a job for August, but it's only for a month and then he'll call me up as he needs me. Setting up stages for concerts and taking them down. So I'll be moving all around Sweden. I was advised to get a coordination number because apparently it's easier. But they don't seem to want to give me one. I'm heading home to get more paperwork and then I'll go back and speak to a manager or someone in charge. The women at the front desks don't seem to a having fucking clue what's going on.
+
SmokerT69
post 27.Jul.2018, 01:21 PM
Post #279

Ok, so I got a young lady this time. She was much more helpful lol. Paperwork is all submitted and she said I can start working now but the boss will have to hold some of my pay for taxes until my number comes.
+
Bsmith
post 27.Jul.2018, 02:55 PM
Post #280

Congrats on the job.
+
pepitoAndalucia
post 27.Jul.2018, 03:30 PM
Post #281

QUOTE (SmokerT69 @ 27.Jul.2018, 01:06 PM) *
Yes, I've got a few jobs now but got turned down because of no personummer. I just got offered a job for August, but it's only for a month and then he'll call me u ... (show full quote)

I lot of people are having similar issues as you with the personnummer. I don't think it has anything to do with being an non EU member because I have met Spaniards who had similar issues too.

I check FB pages and every week you see people who are in similar situation...
+
SmokerT69
post 28.Jul.2018, 02:26 PM
Post #282

QUOTE (pepitoAndalucia @ 27.Jul.2018, 04:30 PM) *
I lot of people are having similar issues as you with the personnummer. I don't think it has anything to do with being an non EU member because I have met Spaniards who ha ... (show full quote)

I am a EU member lol. Doesn't seem to make much difference in Sweden. I'm curious though, she said it can take up to 4 weeks to process my application. By then I'll be finished working. What happens if it gets denied? It's not like I can go back in time and not work...
+
bonviveur
post 28.Jul.2018, 03:08 PM
Post #283

bureaucrats at their best.
my wife applied for EHIC card, filled 4 pages in dept application plus required employment contract copy, was told processing time 3 month rolleyes.gif ,
everyone who got it in another EU country will understand...
+
pepitoAndalucia
post 29.Jul.2018, 01:26 AM
Post #284

QUOTE (SmokerT69 @ 28.Jul.2018, 03:26 PM) *
I am a EU member lol. Doesn't seem to make much difference in Sweden. I'm curious though, she said it can take up to 4 weeks to process my application. By then I'l ... (show full quote)

I am really sorry for your situation.

This is a very strange country. They say there is no bureaucracy but I constantly see a lot of barriers to do all kind of things. It's a very restrictive system.
+
Saywhatwhat
post 29.Jul.2018, 07:13 AM
Post #285

QUOTE (SmokerT69 @ 28.Jul.2018, 03:26 PM) *
I am a EU member lol. Doesn't seem to make much difference in Sweden. I'm curious though, she said it can take up to 4 weeks to process my application. By then I'l ... (show full quote)

Why don't you talk to your possible employer, skatteverket, or your wife. Are you completely neglected as a partner or something? When you ask your wife to help you in your situation does she just say I don't know and walk away. Has she ever called any places on your behalf and demanded an answer to what is going on?

I never get, especially EU citizens, people with swedish partners who act so baffled and helpless, at least on this forum, when they have someone, a Swede, to ask about Sweden.

It's been said before here, but why not ask your Swedish partner for help in figuring out and navigating the swedish system??

QUOTE (pepitoAndalucia @ 29.Jul.2018, 02:26 AM) *
I am really sorry for your situation.This is a very strange country. They say there is no bureaucracy but I constantly see a lot of barriers to do all kind of things. It's ... (show full quote)

Ok, maybe you are completely nuts... Who said there is no bureaucracy in Sweden?

I have a theory that you are paid by thelocal to troll and a few new articles on the apartment/ housing problem will be coming along shortly.
+

35 Pages V  « < 17 18 19 20 21 > » 
Reply to this topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: