The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Getting permanent residency after studying?

Do the 2 years count while applying for PR?

post 3.Jan.2018, 11:39 AM
Post #1
Joined: 3.Jan.2018

What is the process of getting permanent residency after studying 2 year in Sweden?
I have heard that it takes 5 years of stay in Sweden for PR?
My doubt is that, will the 2 years of study(Master's) count in those 5 years?
Please give me the detailed process of PR if I come to Sweden for studies and work after graduation.
PS: I am from a Non-EU country.
Go to the top of the page
post 3.Jan.2018, 07:00 PM
Post #2
Joined: 12.Feb.2014

no it does not count. has all answers
Go to the top of the page
post 3.Jan.2018, 07:18 PM
Post #3
Location: Västra Götaland
Joined: 8.Mar.2010

Sweden views students as transient residents of the country; that is to say, students are allowed in to study, not to settle. Once your studies are over, you are expected to return home, unless you start a relationship or find an employer, who invites you to stay longer and conceivably settle in. A study permit is not considered a permit for settlement, thus years of study are not counted toward PUT or habitual residency requirements for citizenship later on.

I believe the one exception is if you studied in Sweden as a Ph.D candidate. I believe doctorate students are allowed to count their years toward PUT (or, at least I should say, I know they are counted toward habitual residency for citizenship).

I know you're only asking about PUT, but here is an excerpt from the citizenship page of MV's website in case it helps to explain their viewpoint.

Different types of residence permit
If you have had a temporary residence permit in Sweden, for example a residence permit for visits, for studies as a visiting student or for a stay as an au pair, this time is not counted as a period of habitual residence. This can also be the case if you work at the embassy or consulate of another country in Sweden.

However, if you are studying or have studied at doctoral student level, you can, in certain cases, be allowed to count the period with a residence permit for studies as habitual residence. You are allowed to count this period if it is evident that you intended to stay in Sweden after completing your studies.
Go to the top of the page
post 16.Jan.2018, 01:24 PM
Post #4
Joined: 16.Jul.2007

No, Master degree or time spent in Master degree is not counted for PR nor it helps to get PR. The only studies which help to get PR is Ph.D/Doctoral studies, because the doctoral student is employed and he/she pays taxes. Those Doctoral students who come to sweden under the collaboration and have their salaries from their own countries and do not pay any tax have also been rejected.

QUOTE (gurleensethi @ 3.Jan.2018, 11:39 AM) *
What is the process of getting permanent residency after studying 2 year in Sweden?I have heard that it takes 5 years of stay in Sweden for PR?My doubt is that, will the 2 yea ... (show full quote)
Go to the top of the page

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: