The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Job in hospitality/tourism

Is it possible with no Swedish?

tnj4884
post 30.Mar.2010, 04:48 PM
Post #1

I'd be lying if i said i don't wish my boyfriend was from almost ANY other country than sweden. Not that its not a great country, but getting work and the language thing is a big bummer (if only no one hear spoke english, i would have something to offer)

So anyway. Moving to kalmar soon (whenever my sambo residency goes through), but may be relocating to stockholm or g'berg. what are the odds of finding hospitality/tourism work when i don't speak swedish. I speak english and spanish, but i know most swedes (especially in hospitality) speak perfect english and there is a pretty much non-existant spanish tourist base. Any hints on where to look. Also i have a degree in journalism, any ideas where to look for jobs in this field?

I will work in whatever, of course, b/c i know the realities of finding work in sweden (as a swede let alone a foreigner with minimal swedish), but if i could get anything in my fields, that would be great!
Go to the top of the page
+
tnj4884
post 30.Mar.2010, 04:50 PM
Post #2

wow, meant to say no one "here". Don't let my bad spelling, horrible grammar and scrambled punctuation fool you, I do actually hold a degree in journalism smile.gif
+
The Nine
post 30.Mar.2010, 07:24 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (tnj4884 @ 30.Mar.2010, 04:48 PM) *
I'd be lying if i said i don't wish my boyfriend was from almost ANY other country than sweden. Not that its not a great country, but getting work and the language thi ... (show full quote)

In hospitality you have a chance but don't set your sights too high to start with. You could try Stockholm Hard Rock Cafe. It's a really big one. Could be an option for you. The boss is called Eric Swanson, he's American but ran the hardrock in Barcelona for years and is married to a Spanish woman {the co-manager} and Spanish is the language they speak at home. Hardrock staff tend to all converse and work with English rather than Swedish but if you have English and Spanish {and little Swedish} you might find yourself ahead of the game by approaching HRC.
Just google it and go to 'Employment' His email is there. eric@hardrock.se
+
beam_me_up
post 31.Mar.2010, 08:26 AM
Post #4

Another option for work is a home language teacher (hemspråk lärare) for kids who use English in the home. With a degree in journalism, you'd qualify for that job. Kids are entitled to that from first grade through gymnasium (high school) when they speak another language with at least 1 parent. It gives then instruction in their other language in grammar, reading, writing. They get graded on that right along with other grades at school.
+
tnj4884
post 31.Mar.2010, 09:18 AM
Post #5

GREAT! i will check into both of those. thank guys (or gals)
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: