The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
6 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 >   Reply to this topic

United States politics

Discuss what you want

Bsmith
post 4.Feb.2019, 12:09 AM
Post #46

QUOTE (Saywhatwhat @ 3.Feb.2019, 10:27 PM) *
I appreciate him recently saying the the us going into Iraq was the biggest mistake we ever made.

Second biggest. Afghanistan is number 1.
Go to the top of the page
+
Gjeebes
post 4.Feb.2019, 04:43 AM
Post #47

Third biggest. Vietnam is number 1.

At least Iraq had oil, and Saddam wriggled off his American leash...Afghanistan, the back-door to China...but Vietnam...stayed commie despite your best efforts.

But probably the biggest mistake in the USA is the utter lack of common, basic education.

I can remember a similar video (see link below) asking Amarycuhns if they supported the war in Iraq (which they did), and when asked to point out Iraq on the world map, no one knew where it was, and one dude even pointed to Australia!

I reckon he'd have been front-line infantry!

Couldn't find that video, but seems like things haven't changed much since the time of DubYah: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ugJZhL-cbc

Love how cute they are when they point to N.A.

"I think it's up top...I don't know...I can't remember" Bahaha! Noice!

Say-what-in-the-face, yes, I have lived in 6 countries, and travelled to more than 40 others. You would be amazed what's out there. I would encourage you to leave mommy's basement and go check it out.

You might just learn something.
+
Saywhatwhat
post 4.Feb.2019, 09:21 AM
Post #48

QUOTE (Gjeebes @ 4.Feb.2019, 04:43 AM) *
Third biggest. Vietnam is number 1.At least Iraq had oil, and Saddam wriggled off his American leash...Afghanistan, the back-door to China...but Vietnam...stayed commie despit ... (show full quote)

Ha, shows what you know... there aren’t even 40 countries in the world.

I remember the where is Iraq video, maybe done by jimmy Kimmel as well, or another late night host. I vaguely remember it.

“The scariest thing about North Korea is it can be anywhere” hahaha.

It’d be fun to see the same test done to Europeans. And then I’d like to see Europeans point out different states in America. That’d be equally comical.

Vietnam was horrible and we should have just let the French get run out without intervening ourselves. Ken Burns has a great, epic, documentary on Vietnam war... it COULD have been prevented if Truman received ho chi minhs letter asking for support to get the French colonizers to leave and allow them to be free.

In a way the vietnam war set a precedent of disgraceful unnecessary us military intervention. It could be number one mistake in that sense.

I still think Iraq war, gulf war, is biggest mistake because it created a stateless enemy that has spread and spread and we idiotically keep chasing it.

True there are stakes in the middle ease so one could argue there is a purpose. 9/11 is also a good reason for invasion... what a tragedy.
Vietnam’s was a pointless, and unsuccessful attempt to keep communism at bay?

Regardless, it’s respectful of trump to denounce our Iraqi occupation. But let’s see if he invades Venezuela now.
+
Bsmith
post 4.Feb.2019, 12:14 PM
Post #49

QUOTE (Gjeebes @ 4.Feb.2019, 03:43 AM) *
Third biggest. Vietnam is number 1.At least Iraq had oil, and Saddam wriggled off his American leash...Afghanistan, the back-door to China...but Vietnam...stayed commie despit ... (show full quote)

Yes, how could I forget VietNam? What a waste.

And I also agree that the education system has been dumbed down to the point of nearly being useless. Sooo much time is spent on social issues and discipline problems that very little actual teaching takes place.
+
Gjeebes
post 4.Feb.2019, 04:18 PM
Post #50

Ya, I think parenting took a hit with extreme-lefty nutter ideologies, and that has crept into society en masse in the past 20 years or so. Snowflakes anyone?

Being brought up in the world where everyone wins gold, regardless of how they run the race, is a disaster beyond words. It just leads to people who are incapable of accomplishing pretty much anything, yet whom feel entitled, to have everything.

And then it all falls apart in adulthood.

It seems to me that there is a massive failure in preparing certain generations for their lives as "adults", in the name of rainbows and unicorns.

And once everything goes milk and cookies, there's no going back. A slippery slope.

Sweden is probably a world leader in such futility.
+
Saywhatwhat
post 4.Feb.2019, 05:57 PM
Post #51

Snowflakes and helicopter parenting is not a phenomenon isolated to liberals or due to liberals.

There are many reasons... general heightened state of fear in the past 20 years... terror threat color codes, for one example. The speed and access to information... parents are bombarded with “the right way to parent” rather than just figuring it out as it goes along. I would even say as briefly mentioned in this article...

https://www.theamericanconservative.com/art...as-disappeared/

That with costs of childcare being upwards to 1k per month per child, it will get parents involved in a helicopter way... imagine buying an expensive tv, one would be much more sensitive to its potential damage than if it were cheap.

This theory doesn’t hold up when applying it to Sweden. I will give you that liberal ideologies has created many problems with and plain created entitled children in Sweden... but as stated above, I don’t believe snowflakes and helicopter parenting in America has been caused by liberal ideology. I would personally blame conservatives, george w especially, for creating an environment of ominous threats and fear.

A lot about snowflakes is their sensitivity to open dialogue... I find this to be a characteristic of many conservatards as well. Yes, that Uber left sucks, the anarcho communists, but I think other liberals see them the same way.

Bsmith... if you are a teacher, don’t you have a state mandated curriculum to follow, to a point? Is half the year blocked out for talking about feelings? Aren’t there school guidance counselors anymore? Aren’t there detentions, suspensions, expulsions? I don’t know what level you teach/ taught. Can you describe how you think the American school system has run astray... not talking about university level. What have you done as a teacher to correct what you see wrong? There is still the encouragement to never settle for mediocrity, right? I do personally know that probably the biggest problem with elementary schools and jr high is parental interference/ meddling... what are your thoughts.
+
Bsmith
post 4.Feb.2019, 06:33 PM
Post #52

I was a middle school and occasionally high school wood shop teacher (slöjd lärare) so, as such, I did not have any state guidelines to follow. I was free to create my own curriculum, design and implement my own projects, maintain my shop as I saw fit, etc. Although much more work, this suited me fine. Also, being the shop teacher, I had a bit of a more free hand with discipline as it directly impacted the students' safety. That being said, I worked in a university town where many of the parents were liberal, democratic, whacko snowflake parents who never taught their children the meaning of the word "no". I also had my share of single moms who basically let their sons dictate to them. Nevertheless, I was very rigid in the areas I felt most important, i.e. safe work habits, pride in workmanship, maintaining a clean work area, etc.

My colleagues were not so lucky and had to teach a set curriculum where they had little input. This is actually a nationwide trend. It has severely degraded the teaching profession in my opinion.

In my 35 year career I found that my better students (behavior wise and academically) almost always came from a set of parents who either ran a farm or a business and taught their children a work ethic or they transferred over from one of the two religious schools in town. Some of my worst students, it pains me to say, came from parents (usually single moms) who were teachers.
+
Saywhatwhat
post 4.Feb.2019, 07:16 PM
Post #53

QUOTE (Bsmith @ 4.Feb.2019, 06:33 PM) *
I was a middle school and occasionally high school wood shop teacher (slöjd lärare) so, as such, I did not have any state guidelines to follow. I was free to create my own ... (show full quote)

Thanks for sharing.

It seems to be much more a matter of work ethic being taught, rather than political ideology of a family. I don’t get how liberal whackos don’t teach their kid “no”... a whacko in general, but not necessarily liberal... maybe you can explain your thinking. I understand single mothers and having a difficult time disciplining or cultivating respectful young adults... without a doubt a disadvantage for parent and kid.

I still fail to see how this is a liberal manifestation... snowflakes and helicopter parents.

And maybe not intended but how this is your observation of middle school/ high school students... I wonder what it is with gen x that created these kids...

Snowflakes, to me, are too sensitive to participate in a conversation with someone who holds different political beliefs. They demand their rights, real or not, be upheld before all others. They try to shut down rather than challenge views...

I see this on both sides of the political spectrum.
+
Bsmith
post 4.Feb.2019, 08:16 PM
Post #54

That just happened to be the demographics of the school district that I taught in. I have friends who teach in inner city, urban schools and they have an entirely different set of problems. I also have a friend who taught for the DOD at a military facility. She that there were very few discipline problems during her tenure there.
+
Gjeebes
post 4.Feb.2019, 08:27 PM
Post #55

"It seems to be much more a matter of work ethic being taught, rather than political ideology of a family"

Are you daft? What do you think is behind the work ethic being taught?

Why do you continue babbling on about concepts you clearly cannot grasp?

Actual work ethic is a "hate-crime". You want to get ahead, by working harder than someone else? Can't have that. Equality of outcome, right? Or should I say, left?

Everyone wins gold (lefty-nutter ideology).

It's not about merits, it's about "equality". If you have merits I don't have, it's inequality, right? And especially if you are "white" and "male"; inequality manifest (you know, so say the gsurya types).

Why have a work ethic when you are being trained to think that working towards something is just feeding the tyrannical patriarchy?

and skipping ahead...[sayblahblah] I know you are, but what am I...blah blah blah, shit pants...

And now the adults talk again...

You will no doubt have a mental breakdown trying to understand what I am talking about, so go look up "equality of opportunity" and "equality of outcome".

It is pretty much the root cause of many of today's nonsensical "progressiveness" (courtesy of leftist ideology).
+
Saywhatwhat
post 4.Feb.2019, 08:30 PM
Post #56

QUOTE (Bsmith @ 4.Feb.2019, 08:16 PM) *
That just happened to be the demographics of the school district that I taught in. I have friends who teach in inner city, urban schools and they have an entirely different s ... (show full quote)

In your experience would you say that over your 35 years more expectations/ requirements/ pressure has been put on parents, by the schools, to be involved with the kids education?

Of course they should be involved... but to what extent?

My point being that I think more pressure has been put on parents to over manage their kids, over supervise. “Don’t talk to strangers” isn’t a good enough lesson to let kids explore the world freely anymore... within a reasonable age.
+
Saywhatwhat
post 4.Feb.2019, 08:34 PM
Post #57

QUOTE (Gjeebes @ 4.Feb.2019, 08:27 PM) *
"It seems to be much more a matter of work ethic being taught, rather than political ideology of a family"Are you daft? What do you think is behind the work ethic b ... (show full quote)

Lol. A true snowflake.

Hjeebes looks up Jordan Peterson once and the above quote ensues.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 4.Feb.2019, 08:53 PM
Post #58

"the demographics of the school district"

Here in the "Big Apple" I have had conversations with a few teachers, aside from large class sizes there is a language problem, one teacher said she had classes were there were six languages other than English that were spoken as a main language...

Naturally the class slows down to accommodate them at the detriment of those born here and are fluent in English, also a student cannot be left back for poor performance unless the "failure quota" allows, otherwise they just push the kid along to a higher class...

Unofficially there were rumours of test rigging to lower the failure rate and I will deny saying that...

When I was a kid you had to pass all your subjects to be promoted..."No ifs ands or buts"!!! Some were even expelled!!!
+
Saywhatwhat
post 4.Feb.2019, 09:22 PM
Post #59

QUOTE (Gamla Hälsingebock @ 4.Feb.2019, 08:53 PM) *
"the demographics of the school district"Here in the "Big Apple" I have had conversations with a few teachers, aside from large class sizes there is a lang ... (show full quote)

Is there no such thing as kids repeating a grade anymore?

Is there still the “ps” and “ms” classification of schools in nyc? Point being... those who do achieve more, or test higher than others are placed in better schools... or have the opportunity to. Aren’t there many public schools in nyc where enrollment is based on merit... high school and below? Other point being... regardless of language, those who strive to be at the top and work hard will get recognized for that.

And no doubt it is ridiculous to have any class go at the pace of the slowest. Weakest link breaks the chain. Do high schools not offer honor or ap/ college credit courses anymore?
+
Saywhatwhat
post 4.Feb.2019, 09:25 PM
Post #60

QUOTE (Gamla Hälsingebock @ 4.Feb.2019, 08:53 PM) *
"the demographics of the school district"Here in the "Big Apple" I have had conversations with a few teachers, aside from large class sizes there is a lang ... (show full quote)

I never heard of schools operating with a failure quota and, AHA, I did look it up Gamla... all I could find were two stories from 2015 in New York... maybe it was an isolated proposal...

Do you have any other information on that?
+

6 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: