The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
30 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 > »    Reply to this topic

help me to like Sweden

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

post 29.Apr.2016, 01:31 PM
Post #136

QUOTE (Lazarzero @ 29.Apr.2016, 08:30 AM) *
And other people didn't think the thread had run its course. So we kept replying.

people felt invited to commiserate. and as they say, misery loves company, so you're right, carry on smile.gif
Go to the top of the page
+
skogsbo
post 29.Apr.2016, 01:37 PM
Post #137

it would generally appear that those who are unhappy are love refugees who move here only to be with their partner. There is no other draw to Sweden, so it's not exactly a shock that they don't like the weather, the darkness, the neighbours, the clubs, the food, the language... the only thing they like is their partner, which isn't probably enough to offset the transition from having a very established life in London to moving to Stockholm and starting fresh in all respects.

Sweden isn't for everyone, neither is the London, the UK, the USA... Life is about being honest to yourself and identifying the things you want and finding a match to suit, not chasing other peoples dreams. Sweden's winters aren't that long (compared to much of say Canada) and exactly the same level of darkness of anywhere else this far north, people's thoughts on this are based purely on their own perception and mind set. Glass half full/empty.
+
littleviking
post 29.Apr.2016, 03:07 PM
Post #138

i moved here to study and staid for my partner and the buckets of friends that i made here. I could have very well took my partner to Germany if the country was all that great but since beside the weird job market i cant really complain.

Writing this my eating my first tomatoes of the year and oddly enough 2 fresh figs. My glass is full of hobbies and lots and lots of in the middle of nowhere Sweden. I worked for everything in my life i wanted, nothing good in life comes served to you with no effort from your part, even when you go to a restaurant you still have to act polite and pay for your food or drinks.
+
james21
post 29.Apr.2016, 04:16 PM
Post #139

I seldom check this site but would like to say that I wish people who are contemplating (or even considering) Sweden to move for any reason (except asylum) must read the comments from

@Lazarzero and
@Cheeseroller

on page 8 and 9.

I wish I had known about this forum before moving here. I had an offer from Expedia in another country before joining a company in Lund and got deceived by the positive experience I had when working in CPH a few years back.

My mistake. But leaving soon.. smile.gif
+
Apache001
post 29.Apr.2016, 04:22 PM
Post #140

Bsmith, nothing really to trip for as per the nudity.
Many of the pro-Sweden assume that we are not doing enough to integrate here in Sweden, but refused to acknowledge people who have moved to France, Germany, Hungary, CPH and other places in Europe who have managed to integrate in such a short time.
What exactly is integration and what exactly should be the first step towards integration. Integration as far as am concerned starts with the language which many of us here speak fluently, and if anyone speaks my mother tongue at the level I speak Swedish, find a job and pay tax, and try to be friendly to the local, they will win my heart automatically.
Even if you can just say "hello my name is so so so" in my mother tongue, I will never berate you, neither will I attack you that you speak it in a broken manner, which i see Swedes accuse many immigrants of far too often, that to me is a complete lack of empathy.
I also know that in Sweden the Kommun pays for what they call 'kamrats" friends, the state is responsible for food, clothes, housing and also paying for your friendship. Encouraging Swedes to be more open minded and friendly will have a long term positive effect and reduction in how much tax we pay for medical care on anti depressants and therapy sessions.
A simple fix of social spontaneity will go a long way. My prediction though is that very soon many people will have one foreign origin in Sweden and the society will become polarized with the so called new "Swedes" not giving a fuck about the ethnic Swedes whether they are open or not and will adopt the 007 submission of "who cares".
You don't find us complaining about midsummer, varborg, cray fish season, semla etc, that shows our posts are not to spite Sweden. Don't just give suggestions on how to integrate here, share your personal experiences and let's learn from a fellow migrant directly. Not the generic reply of try and join a cooking club, hiking club...be specific what clubs you joined, how you moved from a loner here to a doer...break that shit down baby.
When you blame immigrants for not integrating, I put link before about Swedes who moved abroad for 10yrs finding it difficult to integrate when they returned, you guys intentionally chose to ignore that.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 29.Apr.2016, 04:45 PM
Post #141

So, has this thread accomplished anything???...Except...polarization!!!
+
Stpauli
post 29.Apr.2016, 05:24 PM
Post #142

They got a little support from each others that their theory of moving is the only solution to their problem. But if you listen long and carefully you can hear the ambulances sing to each other.
+
Apache001
post 29.Apr.2016, 05:31 PM
Post #143

@ gamla. Mate if you gat nothing meaningful to write, then this thread is not for you.
Writing one sentence of derailment and no importance to the thread starter and many posters here is not the reason this discussion board was created.
Keep your mono syllable response to yourself. We need matured minds here please.
You avoid pertinent issues raised because of lack of defense or no idea of what the problems or solutions are.
You are not forced to be here remember
+
skogsbo
post 29.Apr.2016, 05:52 PM
Post #144

QUOTE (Apache001 @ 29.Apr.2016, 04:22 PM) *
, . Don't just give suggestions on how to integrate here, share your personal experiences and let's learn from a fellow migrant directly. Not the generic reply of try ... (show full quote)

I joined the local hall and committee, orienteering, running, skiing, swimming, hunting clubs... plus the kids go to a few more(swimming, horse etc..) and the lassie started a book club/circle. We or I didn't wait for any invites though, but we are interest in the outdoors and would never be at home in either Stockholm or London. 3days/2 nights in either is sufficient, once a year!
+
Lazarzero
post 29.Apr.2016, 06:13 PM
Post #145

QUOTE (skogsbo @ 29.Apr.2016, 06:52 PM) *
I joined the local hall and committee, orienteering, running, skiing, swimming, hunting clubs... plus the kids go to a few more(swimming, horse etc..) and the lassie started a ... (show full quote)

I believe Apache asked for a detailed response. Not some generic "I joined such and such club and such and such committee" response.

QUOTE (Stpauli @ 29.Apr.2016, 06:24 PM) *
They got a little support from each others that their theory of moving is the only solution to their problem. But if you listen long and carefully you can hear the ambulances sing to each other.

BREAKING NEWS!

The internet has invented two new things to help users online: one of them is called the "back button" while the other is the "x button".

For the longest time whenever a forum user wanted to exit a thread, he was forced to reply to the thread before he could leave. Now with the inventions of the "back button" and the "x button" the user can leave a thread he doesn't like without responding. So from now on if you ever catch a poster saying they dislike a thread but continues to read and respond to the thread, that means HE IS A COMPLETE AND TOTAL DUMBASS!

Attached Image

+
Hisingen
post 29.Apr.2016, 06:14 PM
Post #146

QUOTE (Apache001 @ 29.Apr.2016, 05:31 PM) *
- - - Writing one sentence of derailment and no importance to the thread starter and many posters here is not the reason this discussion board was created.Keep your mono syll ... (show full quote)

In which case the forum will be dominated by the likes of GH, Bs, Skogsbo and Mzungu to name but a few, if maturity and common sense is what you are after.
But clearly you are allied to the other bar stewards such as that pathetic ° et al. I think that your comments have rather backfired upon you. Get a life.
rolleyes.gif
+
Lazarzero
post 29.Apr.2016, 06:18 PM
Post #147

QUOTE (Hisingen @ 29.Apr.2016, 06:14 PM) *
In which case the forum will be dominated by the likes of GH, Bs, Skogsbo and Mzungu to name but a few, if maturity and common sense is what you are after. But clearly you are ... (show full quote)

"Get a life," said the 80 year old Englishman (who is most likely crustier looking than Mick Jagger), who, all his life, lived more comfortably than his fellow countrymen in the UK or the average Swede. Who for the 10 years and spent much of his life on an internet forum trashing those who have life more difficult than he does or recalling days when he had to evacuate London during the Blitz.
+
Stpauli
post 29.Apr.2016, 06:30 PM
Post #148

I'm starting to enjoy this thread smile.gif
+
Lamy
post 29.Apr.2016, 07:01 PM
Post #149

Everyone calm down or I call the police. They will come to get you and force you to watch Eurovision on a loop.
+
littleviking
post 29.Apr.2016, 07:14 PM
Post #150

QUOTE (Lazarzero @ 29.Apr.2016, 06:13 PM) *
I believe Apache asked for a detailed response. Not some generic "I joined such and such club and such and such committee" response.

Well since you obviously have some reading disability he said what he joined.
When one tell people what they did to integrate in socialize says what they did. Or do you expect people to say i went there and there 3 times and all of a sudden people where shit friendly.
It very simple you go to clubs that interest you or you would think they might be fun. You go and present yourelf to the people and do whatever you do in that activity after a while people are more opened.

I went as a joke to a knighting club, while i was odd being the the one under 40, after explaining that i have no freaking clue i got 2 really nice old ladies with a horribly rough skane accent to try and help me. After 5 weeks of going there 2 times a week we went for fika together anf after 3 months went i didnt suck that bad at knitting i was invited to try and make blankets bits to sew together for the 5 people in our city that will reach 100 years old.
Now i know how to do some stuff. Everybody got a scarf for christmas, including friends, poor poor people.

After half a year i has invited to a group that also did other stuff like making fabric the old way and coloring it.

Again this was just something to pass the time but just from one joke activity i got 10 man and women as friends and i befriended their kids as well, so i got 25 people just from one group. We met at each other house we got and do other stuff together. This is how i expanded my nature foraging group from 10 to 20.

After other stuff i join, like a riding club, a research group, cycling group, book club, gardening group, renovating group 1 with modern techniques and group 2 that we do stuff the old way, i had a music group, football group, skiing and skating groups, both with my age people and some really nice older people that have even went into the Vasa lopet, cooking group, bread making group,i tried a chess club*(after a year it became a bit hard to still go there weekly). i am part of a volunteering group that cleans road and forested and plant new trees. So basically after my 20 hours of work and 40 hours of study beside sleeping and eating i am rarely at home, even the eating sometimes done at someone else's house. Basically i have about 100 close friends and about 300 people that are in my groups and we are friends but we dont meet every week.

is this in enough detail for you or would you like names, times, there addresses and phone numbers, size shoes and pants they wear?
if you need a srink we have in our town 2 that will treat you for free and most likely the nice ladies in my knitting club can make you a straitjacket.
+

30 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 > » 
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: