The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Exchanging Driving Licence

UK to Swedish

Garry Jones
post 24.Mar.2012, 03:32 PM
Post #1

This is not about me, I only have a UK provisional driving licence.

A friend of mine moved here from the UK in 2003. As a national of an EES country there was not (and is not) any requirement to exchange his UK driving licence for a Swedish one.

His UK driving licence expired last week. He then found out he can not renew it with the DVLA in the UK as he is no longer a UK resident. On the Swedish road association website it says it is possible to exchange a UK licence for a Swedish licence. However it says that the UK licence must be valid. There is a charge of 600 SEK to apply for the exchange. However if it is refused the 600 SEK is not refunded.

Does anyone know if the Swedish site is correct? As his licence is not longer valid I would not be surprised if Swedish bureaucracy renders him "licence-less". Thus, worse case scenario: Swedish website is correct and he has to sit and take a full Swedish driving licence test. (Or hopefully, Swedish website is wrong and you are allowed to exhange a non-valid licence if it has just expired).

There is no point in him applying and paying 600 SEK if he is going to be turned down.
Go to the top of the page
+
Furu
post 24.Mar.2012, 06:49 PM
Post #2

You can contact http://www.transportstyrelsen.se/ and get an accurate answer.
+
cbgbg
post 24.Mar.2012, 08:22 PM
Post #3

I recommend that your friend renews his licence in the UK if he is a British citizen as Swedish law states that to exchange a UK driving licence to a Swedish licence you must have a valid licence and live here permanately. He will have to go back to the UK or retake his driving test here. Sorry for the bad news
+
Garry Jones
post 24.Mar.2012, 09:47 PM
Post #4

Thanks for the replies. I think there is a way to do it anyway...

I clicked around and found this..

"
You apply by completing and submitting the “Application for exchange of foreign driver‟s licence” (Ansökan om utbyte av utländskt körkort), which you can order from the Swedish Transport Agency‟s website, under the header „Blanketter‟. This page has not been translated.
"
Source: http://www.korkortsportalen.se/upload/doku...al/engelska.pdf

I went to the not translated site and found this..

Ansökan om utbyte av utländskt körkort - är en blankett för att ansöka om att byta/förnya ett utländskt körkort mot ett motsvarande svenskt körkort. En avgift tas ut för att din ansökan ska prövas, inbetalningskort skickas till dig när du beställer blanketten.

http://www.korkortsportalen.se/e-tjanster/...-om-blanketter/

"är en blankett för att ansöka om att byta/förnya ett utländskt körkort mot ett motsvarande svenskt körkort"

I would translate this as "is a form to apply for exchange/renewal of a foreign driver's licence for a Swedish equivalent".

Surely that means you can renew a foreign licence as a Swedish licence after it has expired? By definition you only renew things that have expired, otherwise it would be an "exchange" and the word "förnya" would be superfluous in their text.
+
Garry Jones
post 24.Mar.2012, 09:55 PM
Post #5

Ok. I know more now, this could be useful for others..

I didn’t know this – does it say it on the card?
It’s thought that many motorists are being caught out because the small print about licence renewal is exactly that – very small print. It’s tucked away on the back of the photocard under the section named ‘4b’. To find out what section ‘4b’ pertains to, the driver has to check the even smaller print on the reverse of the card, and when they do, they’ll see that it refers to a photocard ‘valid to’ date, which will be 10 years from the date of issue. The DVLA have sent out reminders to everyone who needs to get their photocard licences renewed but it seems that people aren't reading them or don't understand what is being asked of them. This could be because confusingly, next to the 'valid to' date, is another date which is the day before the driver turns 70 years old, and this is the date when the actual driving licence expires – not the photocard.

http://www.yourdrivinglicence.co.uk/renewi...y-10-years.html

For UK driving licences this means that whilst it is illegal to drive with a licence without a valid photo (ten years from date of issue - the driving licence itself is valid until the day before the driver turns 70.

So it is illegal for him to use the licence now, but it is still valid. Therefore the Swedish authorities will be told it IS a valid licence. Their check has more to do with him not being banned from driving than anything else.

Not so straightforward. Hope this post helps others...
+
Westport
post 24.Mar.2012, 10:29 PM
Post #6

Pick me, pick me - I actually know an answer for a change.
I did exactly this with an expired UK DL and magically turned it into a current Swedish DL.
Fill in the forms, pay the money, send in your UK DL and Bob's your uncle.

The "valid" thing confused me as well. But they mean that your UK licence hasn't been cancelled by DVLA for any reason. And it takes quite a while as they do in fact contact the UK DVLA to make sure you are still in their system and there are no convictions, etc. which would mean you're not allowed to drive in the UK.

Hope this answers your question.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: