The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
This discussion forum closed permanently on 25th February 2021.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

How's life in Sweden?

A couple of questions regarding how Sweden is like

*Guest*
post 30.Jul.2015, 08:13 AM
Post #1

Before asking I guess I should put some background information that might help?:

So I will be graduating High School soon and am constantly looking for Universities for my Bachelor Degree. Though recently I'm interested in studying in Scandinavia (Though Norway is a bit expensive for me). I tried researching life on Sweden but came across some mixed opinions.

I have a couple of questions and if anyone could answer them that'd be great! Thanks in advance biggrin.gif

1. Are Swedes racist? I hear that it's not exactly easy for minorities to earn a job, feel "accepted", etc. (If it's of any importance: I'm Asian so uh yeah not exactly a westerner)

2. Are the universities free and internationally recognized? Some people say that it's free but those may have been outdated or maybe wrong and I've heard that Sweden's Degree is not as good as those from other developed countries?

Once again thanks in advance biggrin.gif
Go to the top of the page
+
littleviking
post 30.Jul.2015, 11:16 AM
Post #2

The majority of bachelor programs are in Swedish so unless you speak fully fluent swedish i doubt it matters how life in Sweden is.
1. yes and no. there are also very little jobs so a lot of ppl fight over jobs its not easy as a foreigner but if you cone with an opened mind it can be better. Fitting in is up to each person.
3. Universities are free only for swedes and eu citizens , not sure how internationally recognized.
tuition is around 200,000 kr the average price around 400,000 kr and i think the most expensive was around over a million crows. SInce 2010 they have brought back the fees.
The recognition in Eu doesn't really matter so much EU studies in the EU are more or less the same, some eastern countries are not seen so well.
The majority of the bachelors that are in english are in the same fields so very little to choose.

The majority of bachelors in general all over the world are in their native langauge and usually the programs full of fluff might be made in english to make some money or get some funds
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 30.Jul.2015, 03:34 PM
Post #3

+
Bsmith
post 30.Jul.2015, 06:38 PM
Post #4

Your first question is a difficult one to answer. If I were to flip the question and ask if you think the US is racist, what would your answer be? Obviously it would only be your opinion.

As for if the universities are internationally recognized, I think that would be easily researched on the internet.
+
Hisingen
post 30.Jul.2015, 07:23 PM
Post #5

To be honest, it annoys me considerably when I see that oft recurring question
+
Mzungu
post 30.Jul.2015, 07:40 PM
Post #6

1) In many cases,Yes!... However will rarely admit so...

2) No,pay for your own education,alternatively ask the same question in your country...

*we are full*
+
Emerentia
post 30.Jul.2015, 09:40 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (Mystickal @ 30.Jul.2015, 08:13 AM) *
Are Swedes racist? I hear that it's not exactly easy for minorities to earn a job, feel "accepted", etc. (If it's of any importance: I'm Asian so uh yeah not exactly a westerner)

Define what you mean by racist. Is it racist if an employer who have customers or clients who speaks Swedish and English hire a person who speaks Swedish and English over a person who speaks, for instance Urdu and English with an Indian accent that is a hard for the customer and clients to understand? Compare to your own country, how easy would it be for a Swede who didn't speak the language of that country to get a job. How racist are people from your country on a scale from 1-10? How many immigrants/capita does your country have per year? Does those immigrant get jobs, well paid jobs, on arrival?

And what do you mean by "feel accepted"? Some immigrants seem to think that Swedes are racists if they are not handed everything they want on a platter. That Swedes somehow are here to serve them. "What?! Why didn't I get a Swedish girlfriend on arrival?! How very racist of them!" "What?! Didn't I get a bunch of friends, a house, a job, an free education?! That's so racist!".

What do you want from Swedes or Sweden to "feel accepted"? In most cases immigrants are treated like ju everybody else, but immigrants wants strangers to smile and talk to them on the bus (and if the strangers are women, preferably also give them their phone number and go out for a drink with them... otherwise we're stonehearted ice queens...Oh, I forgot racist stonehearted ice queens...). That people don't talk to you, smile at you, or offer you things doesn't mean that we're racist, we treat everybody like that, we're just minding our own business and expect you to do the same. But some immigrants seem to think that it's all about them, and that Swedes should change to suit their needs and wants.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 30.Jul.2015, 09:49 PM
Post #8

Yeah!!!

Damn Swedes!!!

I'll fix'um, I won't go to their country!!!

Then they'll be sorry!!! rolleyes.gif
+
Hisingen
post 30.Jul.2015, 11:04 PM
Post #9

Have you had anyone complaining that you have not moved here yet GH?

No?

That is because they must be racist, would you not agree??

laugh.gif
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 30.Jul.2015, 11:12 PM
Post #10

They are so racist that my surviving(I used to have 16). Kusins will not accept me...

I'm just another damned "furriner" laugh.gif

Except when spending "tourist" dollars...They may be racist but they are not stupid!!!

laugh.gif X10
+
Mzungu
post 31.Jul.2015, 10:42 AM
Post #11

@Emerentia,exemplary post,basically clarified mine...*wink*

*oh well*
+
Rick Methven
post 31.Jul.2015, 11:25 AM
Post #12

QUOTE (Emerentia @ 30.Jul.2015, 10:40 PM) *
Define what you mean by racist. Is it racist if an employer who have customers or clients who speaks Swedish and English hire a person who speaks Swedish and English over a pe ... (show full quote)

Exactly, but expect to be called a racist for saying it.
+
DuneSunny2
post 31.Jul.2015, 11:33 AM
Post #13

As to recognition of the universities, that will depend upon the subject you are studying. There are many rankings on the internet eg http://www.4icu.org/se/ or http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings.
There have also been articles on this on The Local (se) this year. So look there as well.
+
*Guest*
post 31.Jul.2015, 11:36 AM
Post #14

No, the universities are no longer free, they are in fact quite expensive now compared to the rest of Europe. The schools are still free in Germany though.

Are Swedes racist? Yes and no. Some are very racist, some are a little bit racist and some are feminist/PC, its a decent mix of each. The really racist ones tend to focus more on middle easterners/islamics though, Asians are considered western by most so its not really anything to worry about. The Asian population in Sweden tends to be well regarded as hard working, family orientated and business owners who tend to keep to themselves and not cause trouble. Best of luck!
+
DuneSunny2
post 31.Jul.2015, 11:45 AM
Post #15

QUOTE (Hisingen @ 30.Jul.2015, 06:23 PM) *
or of the sex life of the Lesser spotted antediluvian fly-swallowing toad, subjects that will get them their degree, but are about as useful as a chocolate teapot.

I agree with Hisingen. I lecture part time at KTH and some of the topics that are allowed through for Masters Theses beggar belief. I recently had "The benefits of the North Link". What is the point of researching the benefits of a newly opened by-pass tunnel that took 20 years to plan and build, and you can find all of the feasibility studies on the internet! Or, "The benefits of building more housing in Stockholm County". Hardly ground brreaking. Some of the topics really are pathetic and cut and paste from existing studies easily found on the internet.
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: