The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Tourist visa extension possible?

*vidaboa73*
post 9.Mar.2007, 05:58 PM
Post #1

Hey all, I recently arrived in Sweden to be with my girlfriend. Problem is I only have a tourist visa at present which lasts 90 days, after which I am bound to leave for 90 days before I am eligible to return (at least according to www.migrationsverket.se).
(Background: I am a 33 year old male from New Zealand, self-employed and work via the internet.)

Upon calling Swedish immigration and explaining that I would like to get an extension, I was told it shouldn't be a problem and that all I needed to do was contact the Migration Board nearest me and pay SEK 1,000. That seems all too simple...perhaps I got my wires crossed somewhere. Does anyone know if this is the case? And if so, how long is the extension for and what will the new status of my visa be (tourist, resident?).

I realize I will be able to get the answers to these questions once I get through to the Migration Board (hours are limited and seemingly always engaged), but I just thought that if anyone has had a similar experience wanting to extend a toursit visa, it'd be great to get some first-hand information.

Also, if extending my tourist visa fails, I will look into other possible visas allowing me to stay longer. Can anyone recommend (student, cultural)?

Any advice hugely appreciated!
Thanks in advance,
Damon
Go to the top of the page
+
Nautilus
post 9.Mar.2007, 09:34 PM
Post #2

I would be suprised if you could extend the visa as the rules state that you can only stay for 3 months in any 6 month period. We recently extended my mother in laws tourist visa by 1 month as she initially had a 2 month visa. It cost 100sek to extend it. We also had to have the return flight booked before making the application. In your case it could be a risk as you would need the tickets without knowing for sure if you will get the extension.
Hope this helps but you will get more concrete information from migrationsverket hopefully. Good luck!
+
Leonard
post 9.Mar.2007, 09:38 PM
Post #3

[quote="vidaboa73"]
Upon calling Swedish immigration and explaining that I would like to get an extension, I was told it shouldn't be a problem and that all I needed to do was contact the Migration Board nearest me and pay SEK 1,000.

OK - I call your bluff - noone just calls Swedish immigration - I have been trying for weeks to talk to someone there. Never happens. :roll:
+
*vidaboa73*
post 10.Mar.2007, 12:15 AM
Post #4

Call my bluff if you so choose, or you can just take my word for it. The number I called was 0771194400, and although I was initially 40th in line, I patiently waited until my turn, got cut off once, and went through the whole process again until I got to talk to someone. Let me know if I've called the wrong place, please.
+
Michele
post 10.Mar.2007, 03:22 PM
Post #5

When I went to the site for the Migration Board, what I found was the following statement:

Can I extend my visa while I am in Sweden?

It is not possible to extend a visa. However, you can apply for a residence permit for a visit at one of the Migration Board permit units if you wish to stay longer than the time covered by a visa. However, this carries an extra cost of SEK 1,000 per adult and SEK 500 for children under the age of 18 years.

If you know in advance that you want to remain in Sweden for more than three months you should apply at the mission abroad for a residence permit for a visit or, if you have particular reasons, a visa that is valid for a longer period of time (see above). By doing so, you avoid paying fees twice. The mission abroad sends applications for a residence permit for the purpose of a visit to the Migration Board, which then makes a decision.

This was found by clicking on the "Entry Visa" link locate in the column on the left hand side of the page and then scrolling down a ways on the page that link brings you to. Maybe what she was referring to was you getting an residence permit? Not sure there, but just a guess as that is the thing that matches your cost quote. smile.gif

Hope that helps. smile.gif
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: