The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Jobs in Luleå for non-Swedish speakers

Advice on what work is available

swedenlulea
post 15.Jun.2009, 01:37 PM
Post #1

Is there a possibility to find a job in Luleå for someone from Asia, who doesnt speak Swedish at all but has a masters in Business administration?I beleive chances are really really slim, next to impossible.But is it possible to find a anywhere in Sweden for someone who does not speak Swedish?
Go to the top of the page
+
Likvid
post 4.Aug.2009, 01:28 PM
Post #2

Hard getting job in northern parts of Sweden as the unemployment level is very high compared to the rest of the country and most of the jobs never get out but shared with friends and family instead, they help each others up in the north, it's quite different from southern Sweden.
+
7/1
post 4.Aug.2009, 01:34 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (swedenlulea @ 15.Jun.2009, 02:37 PM) *
Is there a possibility to find a job in Luleå for someone from Asia, who doesnt speak Swedish at all but has a masters in Business administration?I beleive chances are really ... (show full quote)

To work in Sweden without language you will need , luck or contact.Good luck.
+
kaze
post 4.Aug.2009, 03:59 PM
Post #4

Your best bet is to buy a gun and fend for yourself.
+
Puffin
post 4.Aug.2009, 04:03 PM
Post #5

LOL - but true
+
The Lix-a
post 4.Aug.2009, 04:17 PM
Post #6

Ive been trying to find wrk up here boden, for 4 and a half yrs. Ive only worked for 6 months during that. During my first year i was turned away from cleaning jobs because i knew no swedish, even though i have experience as a cleaner.
Now there just are no jobs, well maybe a few more in lulea, i have been offered jobs cleaning burger restaurants in lulea but wouldnt make sense because i would have to take the bus there and pay for that.
There are cleaning companies in lulea but its competitive for the few jobs that might come up.
Theres picking berries though, we get hundreds of thai coming up every year and doing it. I was asked by a thai friend if i wanted to join them last year, but my girlfriend tells me it would kill me. Maybe i should just give it a go though i need the money.
Oh there is a demand for care work up here, but you will have to learn swedish.
My girlfriend works as a carer, they always need to fill shifts but my swedish isnt good enough.
But you have a masters in business, something i dont have. Even with that, it will probably be even harder, i have an english friend in lulea with business degrees, lots of experience as a manager and he can speak swedish very well. Still he cant get a job, no mater how many interviews he attends, and how suited he is for the position he said the amount of applies was just huge.
+
Likvid
post 4.Aug.2009, 06:18 PM
Post #7

You should be glad you live in Norrbotten because it's one of the best parts of Sweden if you can stand the cold during winter, lovely nature and no weirdos like in Stockholm, only problem is getting a job up there but if you start your own business and find some income on that it will be great.
+
koded
post 4.Aug.2009, 06:33 PM
Post #8

Presently, in Luleå you can pick berries and make money if you are already in sweden. But I must tell you it is one of the hardest job you can ever do. if you are hardworking you can make some money this period by picking berries. Good luck!
+
The Lix-a
post 4.Aug.2009, 07:43 PM
Post #9

Im glad i live in norrbotten, didnt say i wasnt. I ffing love the winter, the colder the better. One reasons moved here to get away from nutters etec etc you get in the city. Mind would be nice to see some proper beaches, coastline some trees other than pine and silver birch.
Im kind of lucky im an artist, its what i graduated in, and all ever wanted to be, so i can always make money from that, question is when tho.
If im still here next year i might be picking berries.
+
pacfactor
post 4.Aug.2009, 09:55 PM
Post #10

Hi,
I am a Heavy Diesel fitter from Australia and moved here to Lulea a yr ago and luckly got a job at SSAB (Swedish steel), through word of mouth and also just before the Financial Crisis. There were swedes inline for the same position and few positions were available but now there is a stop on employment and even reductions. SSAB is the biggest employer here in Lulea and a good indicator of how bad things are because before this crisis i have been told they had never had to sack anyone for financial reasons. I find out if i still have a job next week!
I go to Night classes at SFI and speak Swinglish at work but found going to SFI fulltime really is better for learning the language. You might want to consider that as a start. Thats what i'll do if i get sacked next wk cause not sure i could get another job the way things are even if i wanted to. Not doing this work for money as the pay is not the best here in sweden. Another thing to think about!
Had a girlfriend that i went to SFI with that had your type of qualifications and she ended up working in Kiruna as a sled dog handler for the winter before having to move back to Romania.!
I hate to sound negative because my experiance has been nothing but positive and think that if you want to give it a shot you should because you will never never know, if you never never go!
Good luck and drop me a line if you up this way cause sometimes feel like i am the only Local Rep here in Lulea???
Anyone??
P.S Also heard it has been the Worst season ever for picking berries and a lot of pepole came a long way and worked hard for peanuts!! Not berries!
+
gplusa
post 4.Sep.2009, 08:11 AM
Post #11

Yup, it's a shocker for berry picking. So I wouldn't bother trying that line of work. Not this year. Having a qualification in Business Administration means that you probably deal with people a fair bit of your time. And that's where you are likely to come unstuck without a good sound grasp of Swedish. I'm not trying to sound negative, but it's a reality. It's great offering the services of being fluent in English, but most Swedes think that they are already fluent in English. Whether they actually are, is debateable. As another poster wrote, take the time to get some formal Swedish language study behind you. For as long as you can afford it. You really can't get by in the north without conversational Swedish. And you'll get a lot of potential job doors closed in your face without it. I was lucky that I had a Swedish speaking wife to help me with interviews. If I had my time over again I would have studied Swedish full time, just to try and level up the playing field a little. It pays for itself very quickly.
+
rubtheweb
post 7.Sep.2009, 09:16 AM
Post #12

I think you can find more jobs at tiptopjob.com/search/jobs_by_location/t/14493_lule or us.plusjobs.com/europe/sweden/luleaa.shtml.

Thank You.
Jobs in Cochin
+
jobshere
post 15.Oct.2009, 04:45 PM
Post #13

This link will give you more information , ies.luth.se/home/users/timfos/Resume/page.html

Thanks
Nursing Jobs in Australia
+
Mib
post 15.Oct.2009, 05:48 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (The Lix-a @ 4.Aug.2009, 05:17 PM) *
Ive been trying to find wrk up here boden, for 4 and a half yrs. Ive only worked for 6 months during that. During my first year i was turned away from cleaning jobs because i ... (show full quote)

Unless you can offer some unique skills, I think you're banging your head against a brick wall, especially if you don't speak Swedish. Add the recession and working up North, you're not in a great place. So, you have to ask yourself if after 4.5 years, whether you should stay or move to Southern Sweden or another country. If you stay you have to learn Swedish. After 4.5 years you have no excuse. Unfortunately for you, Swedish employers will normally employ a Swedish person unless you can ofer a skill that they cannopt find. You could always start you're own business ie. cleaning company.
+
Puffin
post 15.Oct.2009, 06:18 PM
Post #15

Who is this "jobshere" who keeps bouncing up old threads?
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: