The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Finnish/Arabic in Timrå/Sundsvall!

Studying Swedish and I have minor questions!

Frii
post 30.Aug.2013, 03:33 PM
Post #1

Hello all! <3 I'm new to this forum so I'll keep this short.

I moved to Timrå recently due to my boyfriend living here, and having problems in Finland. I am currently studying Swedish on the SFI programs. Do any of you know how hard/easy it is to get a job up here for a person, who speaks Swedish (soon!), English, Arabic and Finnish? I don't have much job experience in Finland, but I live to think that my multi-lingual head would give me a head-start! Anybody else up here that moved in recently and is also having a bad casing of feeling alone? :C I did leave a life in Finland with friends! It can get very lonely! How did you guys beat the phase of being alone and got to know people, when you moved to Sweden?
Go to the top of the page
+
sv1000
post 1.Sep.2013, 10:57 AM
Post #2

The question is why you left Finland with this big love for Finland.

Why can anyone leave country without getting its citizenship if this country was good !

If you left Finland without pass or at least driving license so its difficult to start in another EU from approx. zero.
+
sv1000
post 1.Sep.2013, 11:24 AM
Post #3

Anyway wishing for you a good luck , smile.gif
+
Frii
post 17.Sep.2013, 10:16 PM
Post #4

I have a Finnish passport and Finnish citizenship! I was born there. I'm not exactly a immigrant wink.gif

I love my friends but I like Finland. I left Finland for a man whom I fell in love with. biggrin.gif
+
chloeeff2
post 17.Sep.2013, 11:13 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (Frii @ 17.Sep.2013, 09:16 PM) *
I have a Finnish passport and Finnish citizenship! I was born there. I'm not exactly a immigrant wink.gif

2nd generation immigrant? wink.gif
+
Frii
post 19.Sep.2013, 06:27 PM
Post #6

I guess so? biggrin.gif My parents moved to Finland, but I was born there. That is why when I came to Sweden I only had to put a piece of paper in at skattverket! Didn't even have to visit the immigration office.

I've seen no Finnish people around! Or heard! I thought I heard two Finnish elderly man talk once at the store, but they disappeared so fast!
+
guest2013
post 19.Sep.2013, 06:57 PM
Post #7

So if you were born in Finland, grew up in Finland I guess you went to school there? Then you should have studied Swedish and wouldn't need SFI. And there are plenty of Finnish people in Sweden.
+
Frii
post 19.Sep.2013, 07:19 PM
Post #8

I studied it but I neglected the lessons, barely passing them. Truthfully, I hated the language, like the rest of the Finland (Minus Fennoswedes whose first language IS Swedish). Well, I fell in love with a man, and a bit with the language and I moved. I know basic Swedish, but I still need to study it way more to become good in it!
+
sv1000
post 19.Sep.2013, 08:21 PM
Post #9

Wow , so you are finnish in your second home country (Sweden),

I heard of many immigrants who marry finnish girls ,but leave and live in Sweden !
+
guest2013
post 19.Sep.2013, 08:28 PM
Post #10

Then I guess you didn't go to university? Because if you did your Swedish skills should be far above SFI and shouldn't qualify for study. I guess you didn't pay attention in Social Studies either because there are so many Finnish people here it's a minority language
+
Frii
post 19.Sep.2013, 08:49 PM
Post #11

I dropped out of High School (Lukio/Gymnasiet), or... it might be college? I'm not sure what it is outside the Nordic countries! I'm only 19 so I didn't have time to even enter university. I am highly aware that there is alot of Finns in here, but I imagined that most of them would be down south!
+
chloeeff2
post 19.Sep.2013, 11:26 PM
Post #12

I think it's quite hard to get a job Frii ... at least I know more than a handful of competent Swedes that are having trouble looking anyways ... that's all I can say
+
chloeeff2
post 19.Sep.2013, 11:31 PM
Post #13

However if I were you, I'd try Sundsvall ... it's bigger and only a short drive!
+
Frii
post 20.Sep.2013, 01:10 PM
Post #14

That was indeed the plan! In Helsinki, or Helsingförs, I tried to look for a job for about month there. Send out 25 job-applications but nothing. It's insanely hard to get a job near the capital! So I hope that I can use my improving language up here to give me a good chance to get a job! I hope the fact that I know fluent Finnish would turn out to be a helper! wink.gif
+
JulieLou40
post 20.Sep.2013, 01:40 PM
Post #15

My suggestion would be to contact the local kommun and ask to speak to the head of the children's language services. All immigrant kids in Sweden are entitled to an hour of education in their home language every week, so it may well be that from time to time, the kommun are in need of Finnish mother tongue teachers. Here in Luleå, we provide Arabic, Finnish, English, Russian, Kurdish, Spanish, and lots of others. I myself, am an English mother tongue teacher, which of course is easy for me, because I'm English.

Could be a way to get a foot in the door?
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: