The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Work permit extension less than 2 years

Can I still apply for a 3rd work permit extension?

tats257
post 10.Oct.2019, 05:07 PM
Post #1

Hi all,

I am a non-EU citizen and have recently completed 2 years (Aug 2017 - August 2019) in Sweden on a work permit and applied for an extension.

My extension was approved but they gave me 1 year & 9 months only, it expires on June 2021 (i had thought Migrationsverket usually give 2-year extensions)

I have read that generally a work permit is limited to only 4 years, then you apply for permanent residence.

That means that when my extension expires (June 2021) we will have only stayed in Sweden for 3 years and 9 months.

That means I can't apply for a permanent residence (requires 4 years).

My question is:

Can I reapply for an extension (3rd time) just to be allowed to stay for 3 months until I reach 4 years, so I can then apply for permanent residence?

Your thoughts are very much appreciated,

Regards

Tats
Go to the top of the page
+
browngirl
post 11.Oct.2019, 08:59 AM
Post #2

Following this as I have the same case.
+
dse
post 11.Oct.2019, 11:18 AM
Post #3

I know that it usually happens if your passport expires soon. Then they give you residence permit up to expiration date of your passport.

And yes, in most cases you apply third time, and you might get 3rd permit for only a few month, or you might get permanent one, it all depends if you had 4 years passed on a day of decision.
+
champaignepapi
post 11.Oct.2019, 11:59 AM
Post #4

It's okay. It's probably because your passport is about to expire in 1 year and 9 months. I had the same "issue" and I have been granted permanent residency recently, so don't worry about it.
+

Reply to this topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: