The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >   Reply to this topic

Moving to Sweden with a disability

From within the EU

Bsmith
post 12.May.2019, 10:51 PM
Post #31

Sweden has plenty of beautiful landscapes. You want bland, move to Nebraska.
Go to the top of the page
+
Saywhatwhat
post 13.May.2019, 05:46 AM
Post #32

QUOTE (Bsmith @ 12.May.2019, 11:51 PM) *
Sweden has plenty of beautiful landscapes. You want bland, move to Nebraska.

Farmland, forest, hills, and some mountains... sounds like Nebraska or Sweden.

And if you talk about coastline... there are plenty of countries with a more varied and breathtaking coastline.

Why do you think swedes push this idea of Lagom... it is how they have to deal with how mediocre their country and people are.
+
skogsbo
post 13.May.2019, 09:00 AM
Post #33

QUOTE (Saywhatwhat @ 13.May.2019, 04:46 AM) *
Why do you think swedes push this idea of Lagom... it is how they have to deal with how mediocre their country and people are.

Actually the cold water coral and glaciated granite of koster or the high coast (isostatic rebound) are relatively unique for most of Europe.

The fact that sweden still experiences distinct seasons makes much of the habit both varied and unique. I swim in the same lakes in summer, that I ski or skate across in winter.

But we are all different and appreciate different things.
+
Saywhatwhat
post 13.May.2019, 09:23 AM
Post #34

QUOTE (skogsbo @ 13.May.2019, 10:00 AM) *
Actually the cold water coral and glaciated granite of koster or the high coast (isostatic rebound) are relatively unique for most of Europe.The fact that sweden still experi ... (show full quote)

Lol!!! It’s not relatively unique to Northern Europe. Or any other place that has or had glacial movement.

Fact is, there is nothing special about Sweden’s landscape and it is promoted as breathtaking by the Swedish propaganda machine. Another myth.

And you think it’s special that you can skate on the same lake in winter that you swim in in the summer???

Wow. Sweden... the land of simpletons... the land where you give up under the guise of lagom.
+
skogsbo
post 13.May.2019, 01:28 PM
Post #35

QUOTE (Saywhatwhat @ 13.May.2019, 08:23 AM) *
Lol!!! It’s not relatively unique to Northern Europe. Or any other place that has or had glacial movement. Fact is, there is nothing special about Sweden’s la ... (show full quote)

The reality is we like different things... the more people who are like you the quieter the places I enjoy will be, so your loss is my gain.

http://worldheritagesweden.se/en/world-her...den/high-coast/

And actually cold water coral because of very shallow sea depth (1-3m) around Koster isn't common in the northern hemisphere at all.

Glaciers of course are common, but what I was talking about was isostatic rebound on certain types of coast. The devil is in the detail. Especially at a time when most places have the opposite sea level problem.

In all honesty, how many of Sweden's national parks or World heritage sites have you visited?
+
Saywhatwhat
post 13.May.2019, 02:45 PM
Post #36

QUOTE (skogsbo @ 13.May.2019, 02:28 PM) *
The reality is we like different things... the more people who are like you the quieter the places I enjoy will be, so your loss is my gain. http://worldheritagesweden.se/en ... (show full quote)

Different people like different things???? No way.

Oh you mean the coral that has died off in a significant amount and has been replenished by Norwegian coral? So impressive.

Have you been to the Baltic coast where the glacial rebound occurs? It is more a scientific interest rather than visual. Nothing special with how it looks. Nor is glacial rebound unique to that area. Finland has the better looking coastline in that area.

I’ve seen enough whs and national parks in Sweden AND undesignated areas that look the exact same... except the land can still potentially be bought and sold. Some of them aren’t much to look at at all. Some of them you wouldn’t know are world heritage sites. Just another small town. And there are plenty of those is Sweden. I think a better question is how much of the WORLD have you seen?

In all honesty, if you were to take a nature trip at the same latitude that Sweden is, would Sweden be the top of your list? Would you think Sweden has as much a breathtaking landscape as Norway, Iceland, Greenland, Canada, Alaska, Russia?

Have you seen the painted desert? The variety of America’s west coast? Yellowstone or Yosemite? Have you seen the beauty of the fog rolling over the aptly named Smokey mountains? Have you snorkeled in the Caribbean? Have you been anywhere in mexico, India, China? Cruising the countryside in, well, a lot of places is far better than in Sweden.

Just face it. Sweden is a large underpopulated underdeveloped country that is struggling to catch up with reality. They use the emptiness as a selling point. Are you too much a rube to understand that? Because objectively speaking, as I have before, the landscape in Sweden is nothing particularly breathtaking... there is far greater natural beauty in the world.

And to the op... are you even allowed to just move to another eu country and live off disability paid by your home country? Don’t think that’s how the EU works. And as others have said, you will have a more satisfying life elsewhere than Sweden. Why not the French countryside? They are your neighbor... one of them.
+
skogsbo
post 13.May.2019, 03:08 PM
Post #37

QUOTE (Saywhatwhat @ 13.May.2019, 01:45 PM) *
question is how much of the WORLD have you seen?In all honesty, if you were to take a nature trip at the same latitude that Sweden is, would Sweden be the top of your list? W ... (show full quote)

Yes. All of those(if you count Georgia as russia) and many more. I don't know how many countries, maybe 60 or 70. Perhaps more. Most visiting but around 20 in some form of work capacity, so often stayed longer than just week or two etc.. places like nz, Kenya, Peru, Bolivia, South Georgia Chile, various in the middle east, Tanzania, Zimbabwe, probably every country in Europe.
My skill set rests in the natural and environmental sciences, combined with mountaineering etc.. so I've been to some amazing places. However 99.9% of them don't have any medical care or a school for our kids. So I settle for boring sweden where i have climbing, swimming, biking, skiing on the door step and easy access to much more.
+
Saywhatwhat
post 13.May.2019, 03:38 PM
Post #38

QUOTE (skogsbo @ 13.May.2019, 04:08 PM) *
Yes. All of those(if you count Georgia as russia) and many more. I don't know how many countries, maybe 60 or 70. Perhaps more. Most visiting but around 20 in some form of ... (show full quote)

Lol!!! You are so full of it... you say 99.9% of places you have worked in don’t have medical care or schools for your kids... yet you say you have worked in almost every country in Europe? I don’t care that you get off on mediocrity, I understand why Sweden is good for you, but your statement of places not having healthcare or schools is ridiculous.

But I get you. Climbing, swimming, biking, hiking, skiing, skating... it’s totally unique to Sweden and you don’t have all that together in one country. Especially not another EU country. Ha!
+
skogsbo
post 13.May.2019, 04:21 PM
Post #39

QUOTE (Saywhatwhat @ 13.May.2019, 02:38 PM) *
Lol!!! You are so full of it... you say 99.9% of places you have worked in don’t have medical care or schools for your kids... yet you say you have worked in alm ... (show full quote)

I was lucky, I had a paid hobby. I could be on an avalanche course in the Swiss alps one month, then training park rangers on mount Kenya the next. But it's tough on the body and not compatible as a parent. Sweden is a good balance for me at moment.

Maybe I don't want to live in those other countries in Europe and of the countries that I would consider to have the absolute best landscape they aren't in Europe, the alps are nice but way too crowded. Plus life as about balancing things, employment, health, education etc.. I'm only 48, so not fully retired yet, otherwise that might broaden my sphere. We did consider, nz, Canada, Norway.. before moving here. I'm sure all look perfect on the outside but will no doubt just like sweden have their quirks.
+
Saywhatwhat
post 13.May.2019, 04:27 PM
Post #40

QUOTE (skogsbo @ 13.May.2019, 04:08 PM) *
Yes. All of those(if you count Georgia as russia) and many more. I don't know how many countries, maybe 60 or 70. Perhaps more. Most visiting but around 20 in some form of ... (show full quote)

Ps...

What is the “yes” in response to? That you think sweden has a more beautiful landscape than the other countries, or pieces of countries, at the same latitude?

And no, Georgia is not part of Russia nor would I ever consider that. It is it’s own independent country free from soviet rule.

Having also been there, you should know as well as I do that they wouldn’t appreciate being called Russian.
+
Saywhatwhat
post 13.May.2019, 04:40 PM
Post #41

QUOTE (skogsbo @ 13.May.2019, 05:21 PM) *
I was lucky, I had a paid hobby. I could be on an avalanche course in the Swiss alps one month, then training park rangers on mount Kenya the next. But it's tough on the b ... (show full quote)

Not as many quirks as Swedes have. Almost all countries are more upfront.

But I understand your decisions for the family reasons. Did you have kids once settled in Sweden? Or do you travel as much for work? Or are you just working at a university now. Otherwise... for someone who loves nature and admittedly, finally, can say that there is much MORE beauty outside of Sweden, don’t you get a bit stir crazy?

Still, you settled. Lagom. Why go for something great?
+
skogsbo
post 13.May.2019, 04:44 PM
Post #42

QUOTE (Saywhatwhat @ 13.May.2019, 03:27 PM) *
Ps...What is the “yes” in response to? That you think sweden has a more beautiful landscape than the other countries, or pieces of countries, at the same latitude? And no, ... (show full quote)

Yes. I have been to those countries you listed.

And yes I would agree with you it's not Russia. Putin might say otherwise. I could claim a Russia visit on a technicality but I'm not sure just going up elbrus, qualifies as really seeing a nation!!
+
skogsbo
post 13.May.2019, 05:02 PM
Post #43

QUOTE (Saywhatwhat @ 13.May.2019, 03:40 PM) *
Not as many quirks as Swedes have. Almost all countries are more upfront.But I understand your decisions for the family reasons. Did you have kids once settled in Sweden? Or d ... (show full quote)

The kids were 2 and 4 when we came. If we'd stayed in the UK they would have to start school there, a postcode lottery, uniforms and too much religion for my liking. I was scaling down my travel a little, as when you miss your first child's first birthday because you are thousands of miles away it's not great and it wasn't the kind of upbringing
I wanted them to have. Sweden has a pretty good work to life balance.

University.. no chance, that would send me crazy. More of a lateral shift. Now an owner of a small farm and forest, which has a lot of protected land, so correlates a little with my academic side. The physical side is solved by being self employed and apart from a few critical jobs if I feel like just going off biking, cycling, kayaking for a day it's never a problem.

The one thing you must admit that most of sweden wins at when visiting places is the lack of litter. The UK is just an embarrassment on this front, not that I would want to use the UK as a benchmark for anything.
+
Saywhatwhat
post 13.May.2019, 05:35 PM
Post #44

QUOTE (skogsbo @ 13.May.2019, 06:02 PM) *
The kids were 2 and 4 when we came. If we'd stayed in the UK they would have to start school there, a postcode lottery, uniforms and too much religion for my liking. I was ... (show full quote)

I’d maybe use the UK as a benchmark for colonialism and tea sales. Their shortbread biscuits are also delicious. The UK landscape is also beautiful... Ireland Scotland and Wales. English country side is nice as well.

“The one thing you must admit that most of sweden wins at when visiting places is the lack of litter.“ I don’t know what you mean so I can’t admit anything.

Is your wife Swedish? How were you able to move here as a self employed person without any proven income... it was a career/ life change moving here. Maybe you moved a while ago when things weren’t so ridiculous.

Either way, sounds like a good choice for you. It would be awful having to be away from kids like you mentioned... with not much control of when you need to travel.

Back to the op, and because you’re a farmer skogs... doesn’t it seem odd that someone with a severe enough disability to have them on disability checks for the rest of their life and as their main income would want to be a farmer? If it’s a physical disability... well, farming is physical work. If it’s a mental disability... isolating themselves wouldn’t be a good idea either.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 13.May.2019, 05:35 PM
Post #45

A+ on the litter scene as I am in the Big Apple as a comparison...
+

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: