The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
This discussion forum closed permanently on 25th February 2021.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Student visa VS Family tie?

Tomandjerry
post 3.Jan.2009, 05:21 PM
Post #1

Hey there!

I have been viewing loads of posts here for a while. and found the forum really helpful!
Anyway, here is my question which i need your help with. Thank you very much!

With my visa which is from August 2007--August 2008, I came to Sweden in August 2007 as a university student pursuing a bachelor degree in Malmö, where i found my love who i married to in June 2008. I still applied for my student visa before i got married and my new visa is from August 2008--August 2009.

My husband is a dane who has been living in Sweden for more than 20 years (still a dane..hehe). And we are thinking about changing my visa status to family tie this year before my student visa expires. But, we do not know when it might be the best time.

1): Should we apply now? or wait a bit?
2: Normally, the Migration Board gives a residence permit for two years for family tie. But, if i apply for my family tie visa in June 2009 (as of when we have been married for one year), am i supposed to get a visa for one year or two years? Then, accordingly, shall i get the PUT after one year or two years ?

Thank you again for your patience to read this post and i would appreciate it a lot if you could leave any information you have mastered or any comments you want.

Cheers~
Tomandjerry
Go to the top of the page
+
Tomandjerry
post 3.Jan.2009, 06:58 PM
Post #2

BTW...Am i supposed to get a fiver-year residence card?or a two year family tie visa?
Thank you again~
+
faithfulguy
post 3.Jan.2009, 07:45 PM
Post #3

If your danisg husband has a permanent residence in Sweden(which i believe he has) you will automatically get permanent residence if you apply. I am not sure if they may ask you to apply from your home country. Good luck
+
Tomandjerry
post 3.Jan.2009, 07:59 PM
Post #4

thank you ~faithfulguy...
well,neither of us is sure if he has a permanent residence permit in Sweden...Because, he doesnt have any PUT which is supposed to be stamped on his passport..
But, yeh, he has been living in sweden continuously for over 20 years...technically he should be treated as a permanent resident in sweden...I guess...

Thank you again for your faithfulguy, have a pleasant evening!
+
Tomandjerry
post 3.Jan.2009, 08:10 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (faithfulguy)
If your danisg husband has a permanent residence in Sweden(which i believe he has) you will automatically get permanent residence if you apply. I am not sure if they may ask you to apply from your home country. Good luck

or maybe he has an invisible PUT...Some of his Danish friends do never have PUT either though they have been in Sweden for ages
+
faithfulguy
post 3.Jan.2009, 11:20 PM
Post #6

Why don't you ask your hubby to apply for a PR, I bet it will take 1 month to get it. With his new status now, u can apply and get Permanent residence. Good luck once again.
+
kaze
post 3.Jan.2009, 11:28 PM
Post #7

I came to Sweden in August 2007 as a university student pursuing a bachelor degree in Malmö, where i found my love who i married to in June 2008.

Blimey.
Some people work fast don't they?
+
Localer
post 4.Jan.2009, 12:53 AM
Post #8

QUOTE (Tomandjerry)
Hey there!

1): Should we apply now? or wait a bit?
2: Normally, the Migration Board gives a residence permit for two years for family tie. But, if i apply for my family tie visa in June 2009 (as of when we have been married for one year), am i supposed to get a visa for one year or two years? Then, accordingly, shall i get the PUT after one year or two years ?

1. No, if you apply now, the migration board, still will wait till your visa expired before process with your new visa.

2. first they will grant you 2 years visa (married or not), and then you might extended another 2 years or straight to Permanent, depends on the officer decision.
+
Tomandjerry
post 4.Jan.2009, 05:36 AM
Post #9

QUOTE (kaze)
I came to Sweden in August 2007 as a university student pursuing a bachelor degree in Malmö, where i found my love who i married to in June 2008.

Blimey.

maybe~~~But, what are you gonna do when LOVE hits you?
cheers~have a nice weekend
+
Tomandjerry
post 4.Jan.2009, 05:39 AM
Post #10

QUOTE (kaze)

Blimey.

Hi again,faithfulguy...
The thing is that being a dane , he doesnt need any sticker or permit attached to his pass no matter how long he intends to live in Sweden...I guess it is the same to any citizen of any Nordic countries...They have a certain Nordic passport agreement..or, sth like that~
cheers
+
Tomandjerry
post 4.Jan.2009, 05:43 AM
Post #11

QUOTE (Localer)
1. No, if you apply now, the migration board, still will wait till your visa expired before process with your new visa.

2. first they will grant you 2 years visa (married or not), and then you might extended another 2 years or straight to Permanent, depends on the officer decision.

1: exactly the same as the migration board states..
2: i always believe that the case officer is the only rule...they can surpass all the existent immigration policies..well, just personal feeling

Thank you so much~Localer...ありがとうございます
+
Texrusso
post 4.Jan.2009, 12:17 PM
Post #12

Hi Tomandjerry, since your husband is Danish you will get a 5 years residence card to live in Sweden and you will automatically get the permanent residence after 5 years. Your husband doesn't have any permit in his passport because he is a scandinavian and EU citizen. But most important thing is just that he has a Swedish Personal number and address in Sweden.

If you are married to a Swedish citizen you will get a two years residence permit and after two years, you can then apply for a permanent residence permit in Sweden.

You can find more information in English following the link below:

http://www.migrationsverket.se/english.jsp

Take care and Happy New Year 2009!

Cheers!

Tex
+
Tomandjerry
post 4.Jan.2009, 01:02 PM
Post #13

HEY!TEX~~~
Thank you for your detailed explanation..Yeh, we both have personal number and live in sweden.

But, speaking of the residence card...It is rather tricky. I have a friend who get married to a Dane in Sweden but what he gets is a five-year residence card...However, another friend of mine got a two-year residence permit after she married to a Dane..The difference as i recall in the two cases are that the first dane has not lived in Sweden for long...one year tops...The latter dane has lived in sweden for more than 10 years...

So, i wonder if this is a problem when applying for the correct visa or residence card...since my hubby has lived here for more than 20 years..

Also, you mentioned that, the five-year residence card does NOT require that the relationship still exists when applying for PUT in five years?

Thank you for your wishes~And wish you a brilliant new year as well!

Cheers
+
Texrusso
post 4.Jan.2009, 03:28 PM
Post #14

Hi Tomandjerry, greets! Its always a residence card, but something tricky I think they require that your husband and or you have some means of income in Sweden. If your husband has a job in Sweden that can guarantee the welfare of both of you then am very sure sure you will get a 5 years Residence card.

The question is not about how long he has lived here as a Dane. Please also try to check what passport your other friends husband have. Some people might be Danes as national origin but may carry a Swedish passport. It could be a don't say, don't tell situation. People don't tell everyone their private matters.

In conclussion, I believe it more about INCOME and EARNINGS of you and your husband, most especially your husbands INCOME. I believe Sweden is one of the most Immigration friendly country in Scandinavia or even the rest of Europe. The staffs of Migrationverket are usually open minded and flexible. You should keep an open mind and visit their office and ask them direct questions that are very specific to your case and I am sure they are able to help you.

Like you said even though there are specific requirements, everycase might be different from another though the general rule applies.

Good Luck and all the best.

Cheers!

Tex
+
Tomandjerry
post 4.Jan.2009, 03:45 PM
Post #15

Hi Tex...Thank you for your quick reply again~Its so nice of you.

These Danes mention all keep their Danish Passports because we just traveled together..Speaking of the finance, i just have a part-time job but i have around half a million SEK under my name in the bank, i am not sure if this works. Anyway, going to school is my mission for now..

Anyway, correct me if i am wrong, if i get the five-year residence card, and i stay in sweden legally for five years, then, i would get the PUT automatically? Or do i have to show that the relationship does NOT cease yet?

I really appreciate all your replies, Tex...Cheers~
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: