The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
8 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »    Reply to this topic

TV Fee in Sweden

Not sure what it is called

richardbw
post 9.Jun.2010, 07:38 AM
Post #46

The TV license pays for the government channels (SVT etc), at least in part. So if you don't pay for the TV license but watch SVT then you could be seen as 'stealing'. And unlike PBS in the USA, Swedish public TV is very high quality, often premiering films, foreign TV programmes, and showing all major sports events. I guess most people pay because they like the collectiveness (oh and scared of getting fined :-) )

Then again I don't know why I am defending the system, given that I avoided paying the UK TV license for much of my student years (eek I bet I'll get a letter from the BBC now!)
Go to the top of the page
+
cogito
post 9.Jun.2010, 08:43 AM
Post #47

QUOTE (richardbw @ 9.Jun.2010, 06:38 AM) *
Swedish public TV is very high quality, often premiering films, foreign TV programmes, and showing all major sports events.

Are you serious? Most of the day the Swedish State Propaganda TV shows nothing but their logo

When huge world events are being covered by BBC, CNN, Sky and Al Jazeera, SVT shows reruns of Hej Hej Sommar. Or that logo. Or a picture of a flower, with some easy Mozart.

Of course if you love Allsång på Skansen, it's fine. Otherwise there is almost nothing.

The only break from the tedium of Swedish TV is the occasional American series (Sopranos) or the rare French or Italian film.
+
Rick Methven
post 9.Jun.2010, 08:51 AM
Post #48

I hope that all those of you who say that SVT is rubbish and you never watch it and so do not pay your licence fee will carry on with your principles during the world cup and not watch the matches that are only shown on SVT and chanel 4. laugh.gif
+
EtoileBrilliant
post 9.Jun.2010, 08:55 AM
Post #49

What really bothers me is the digital switch. 5 years ago we got a wealth of free TV channels here in Sweden. When they switched to digital they gave the broadcasting rights to Boxer who try and strong arm you to pay SEK 300 per month for even their most basic package (including channels that were previously free and are filled to the gills with advertising).

In Sweden we get SVT1, SVT2, SVT Barn/24, Channel 6 (or 9 I can't remember), Axess TV and TV Finland (defintely the worst TV in Europe) on Free to Air. In the UK and Germany there are about 60 free to air channels. What irks me is, I thought I was paying my license fee to get these original channels. Now I have to pay Boxer and extra fee.

The EC took Sweden to task for not allowing competing services on terrestial DTV but any progress on this looks to be a long way off.

Lastly a questions: do we need a seperate license for our summer house?
+
Mirrorman
post 9.Jun.2010, 09:02 AM
Post #50

is it the same people that dont want their money spent on the royal family or public broadcasting that usually list their positives for living here as cheap child care/nursery and maybe education?. Funny how the taxpayer is expected to subsidise the takers and cheats in order that they can rear more self serving little brats. take take take. shameful selfish and unintelligent people.

A criminal is a criminal. those who avoid paying their dues are doing society no favors at all.
+
jack sprat
post 9.Jun.2010, 09:13 AM
Post #51

Why should ppl be forced to pay for something that in many cases they may not want or need?
It is basically taking away freedom of choice.

When you go into a showroom to buy a brand spanking new Volvo, would you be happy to be told,..."No problem sir, you can buy one right away, only first of all we have to insist that you buy and pay for a new Saab whether you want one or not."?

Possibly there was a case for a licence fee for state controlled TV/Radio many years ago when there were few if any practical alternatives, but in todays, what should be a free market situation,it should no longer be imposed on ppl against their free will.
+
Mirrorman
post 9.Jun.2010, 09:15 AM
Post #52

while i am here. A comment for furu the thread starter. Do you know anything ? i have noticed that you ask every little question on here and after checking your posts it is suprising that you are able to leave home without forgetting to put your clothes on or having a panic attack. which train?, which shop?, which phone?, which insurance? how do i work my keyboard? which flights? which polarmaskin? which bank? what tax? what age kids? how, how, how etc.
now i am newish here but i also note that you are quick to provide one liners of advice to people that ask questions and that is noble. the question i have is why do you think anyone would take your info as reliable? by giving responses you are placing doubt and misinformation onto the people that need a true answer.
+
Mirrorman
post 9.Jun.2010, 09:44 AM
Post #53

QUOTE (jack sprat @ 9.Jun.2010, 09:13 AM) *
Why should ppl be forced to pay for something that in many cases they may not want or need?. It is basically taking away freedom of choice.

freedom of choice? Hogwash. dont use big phrases you dont understand. On your theory libraries should be shut down, parks should be closed, roads should not be maintained, community centres shut, swimming pools shut, schools and colleges open only for those who can afford it etc and all because you personally dont use them. money appears to make people less tolerant and more selfish. if everyone had your attitude then we would live in a world of anarchy.
+
jack sprat
post 9.Jun.2010, 10:24 AM
Post #54

Absolute cobblers,thats no comparison at all.

We are talking about a marketable commodity of which increasing numbers and choice are becoming readily available.
It is not a question of shutting anything down at all, but on the contrary expanding the various options and freedom of choice, without ramming only one available service down every ones throats, regardless if they like it or not.
+
cogito
post 9.Jun.2010, 10:40 AM
Post #55

QUOTE (Mirrorman @ 9.Jun.2010, 08:44 AM) *
On your theory libraries should be shut down, parks should be closed, roads should not be maintained, community centres shut, swimming pools shut,

You are comparing things that do not hold up to comparison.

But let's pretend to follow your strange logic.
If the parks, schools libraries and swimming pools are closed most of the time and if, during the few hours a day they are open, they deliver the same poor quality as Swedish Television, then, yes, shut them down.
+
Mirrorman
post 9.Jun.2010, 11:31 AM
Post #56

In any normal society it is essential that the populous can obtain information such as news from a broadcaster that has integrity, honesty or neutrality and held accountable for doing so. It is one of,if not the most important requirements for a democracy. Without it society will break down.

if however you want to see an essential fabric of your country being run by the "competition" who operate only for profit or personal motive like egomaniacs rupert murdoch or silvio burlesconi then you will find the country you are living in is being corrupted for personal gain. But as long as you can watch baywatch then you are ok yeah.

life isnt about taking at every opportunity. it is about what you give that matters.
+
Rick Methven
post 9.Jun.2010, 11:48 AM
Post #57

You got it in a nutshell!

If there was no publicly funded broadcasting then the content would be dictacted by the advertisers, not just the programs that are aired but also slants on the news. You would end up with the truth according to Fox News rather than the neutral reporting that you now get from the likes of SVT/BBC.

It is only the existence of public funded broadcasting that keeps the likes of Murdoch honest. without it the cost would go up, you may save on the licence fee but you would find that Free to air channels would disappear and in the end the subscription costs to the likes of Boxer Canal+ etc would rise and you would end up paying more than the licence fee. You can watch all the world cup matches for free on SVT/TV4. If Sky had the exclusive I wonder how much it would cost?
+
cogito
post 9.Jun.2010, 12:04 PM
Post #58

QUOTE (Rick Methven @ 9.Jun.2010, 11:48 AM) *
If there was no publicly funded broadcasting then the content would be dictacted by the advertisers,You would end up with the truth according to Fox News rather than the neutr ... (show full quote)

And Swedish Television's content is dictated by the Social Democratic Party.

"Neutral reporting" by the likes of SVT/BBC?...

Oops! I just fell off my chair laughing...
+
jack sprat
post 9.Jun.2010, 12:07 PM
Post #59

QUOTE (Mirrorman @ 9.Jun.2010, 11:31 AM) *
In any normal society it is essential that the populous can obtain information such as news from a broadcaster that has integrity, honesty or neutrality and held accountable f ... (show full quote)

Even more absolute Tosh.
Reference to SVT in the same sentence as integrity,honesty and neutrality,...I don't think.
I would have thought that democracy was much more about the freedom to watch and listen to a wide spectrum of opinions from all sides before deciding for yourself who is telling the most porkies.
Possibly the main criteria on which the original "common market" was formed was to allow free trade and competition.
Probably more than any other country in the EU, Sweden has resisted these principles, with regard to hanging on to its state controlled monopolies,restrictive rules and regulations as long as it possibly could, whilst also continuing to try and keep its cake and eat it.
On the other hand if you prefer living in a society based on such as N.Korean democratic values then I'm sure thats a great way to have the "truth" rammed down your throat every day.
+
richardbw
post 9.Jun.2010, 12:09 PM
Post #60

@jacksprat

I agree with you on the lack of ability to choose, and it is one of my major annoyances about Sweden; lack of individual choice. However, you could see the TV license as comparable to Road Tax, paying for the infrastructure which in the case of TV includes some TV channels as well as transmitter masts, etc. But I still feel like I am trying to convince myself, so I give way to the honourable lord Jack of Sprat :-)
+

8 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: