The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

BREXIT Effect on job hunting

Constantly getting knocked back

neil-j
post 26.Jul.2018, 12:15 AM
Post #1

Hi there,

I've been applying for roles I'm perfectly qualified for and require English as a first language however I'm getting knocked back consistently. I was wondering if anyone else is having this issue and if they feel it could be due to the lack of any clarity around BREXIT...
Go to the top of the page
+
intrepidfox
post 26.Jul.2018, 11:07 AM
Post #2

QUOTE (neil-j @ 26.Jul.2018, 12:15 AM) *
Hi there, I've been applying for roles I'm perfectly qualified for and require English as a first language however I'm getting knocked back consistently. I was won ... (show full quote)

Nothing to do with Brexit. I can tell you this, before Sweden joined the EU it was much easier to come to this land and work concerning permits etc. There are roughly 500 people applying for each job. Don´t give up and good luck
+
SmokerT69
post 26.Jul.2018, 11:31 AM
Post #3

QUOTE (intrepidfox @ 26.Jul.2018, 12:07 PM) *
Nothing to do with Brexit. I can tell you this, before Sweden joined the EU it was much easier to come to this land and work concerning permits etc. There are roughly 500 peop ... (show full quote)

I would say Brexit has something to do with it... considering I was told by one skatteverket employee that I couldn't get a personummer because of Brexit. There's a lot of misinformation surrounding it
+
john.boy
post 26.Jul.2018, 12:34 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (SmokerT69 @ 26.Jul.2018, 12:31 PM) *
I would say Brexit has something to do with it... considering I was told by one skatteverket employee that I couldn't get a personummer because of Brexit. There's a lo ... (show full quote)

The Skatteverket employee is certainly on the ball.
This should apply for all UK citizens since march this year. The law is that you have to be in the country for 12+ months before being entered into the population register, or if you can provide sufficient evidence you will be here for 12+ months then it is at the discretion of the case officer to decide to enter you or not.

There is less than 12 months to Brexit deadline, no-one knows yet what the situation will be for UK nationals that are here under Right of Residence, hence you cannot prove at-all that you will even be allowed here for 12+ months, unless you have a valid national law issued residence permit.

Blame the EU for using UK Citizens as a bargaining chip angry.gif
+
SmokerT69
post 26.Jul.2018, 10:13 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (john.boy @ 26.Jul.2018, 01:34 PM) *
The Skatteverket employee is certainly on the ball.This should apply for all UK citizens since march this year. The law is that you have to be in the country for 12+ months be ... (show full quote)

Except I've already been here for over a year. This was when I applied last year July... after which I was sent to a refugee migrationsverket center in Gävle to apply. Let's not pretend that anyone at skatteverket has a bloody clue what they're doing. Lol.

Also, let's not pretend that Swedens laws regarding married couples isn't completely backwards. I've never traveled anywhere that it was so difficult for a married couple to live together. Let alone a couple with children.
+
Svedallas
post 28.Jul.2018, 09:25 AM
Post #6

QUOTE (neil-j @ 26.Jul.2018, 01:15 AM) *
Hi there, I've been applying for roles I'm perfectly qualified for and require English as a first language however I'm getting knocked back consistently. I was won ... (show full quote)

You are also competing with native Swedes who speak/write perfect English.

This has nothing to do about Brexit. Do not blame it on brexit!
Blame it on not also having Swedish language competency.
+
SmokerT69
post 28.Jul.2018, 02:18 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (Svedallas @ 28.Jul.2018, 10:25 AM) *
You are also competing with native Swedes who speak/write perfect English. . This has nothing to do about Brexit. Do not blame it on brexit!. Blame it on not also having Swedish language competency.

I haven't had any issues getting jobs though based on my proficiency in Swedish. My problem has been with trying to deal with Skattsverket and migrationsverket lol. There was one employer who did ask me to spend more time at SFI learning Swedish, then reapply. I'm blaming it on Brexit because I've had people at skatteverket tell me I can't get a personummer because of Brexit. One women there even told me to come back after Brexit and reapply. Lol... again, no one at skatteverket has a bloody clue what they are doing. I was at skatteverket in Gävle yesterday getting my coordination number and they actually asked me if I wanted to pay taxes. When I asked what the tax rate is for coordination numbers, as I had read online that it's 22%, another women told me I can pay as much as I want. Another employee said I don't have to pay taxes. If employees of the tax agency don't even know about taxes, I would personally think they don't have a bloody clue what they're doing.

It's no secret that you can talk to 5 different skatteverket employees, ask them all the same question and get a different answer from each of them.
+
Svedallas
post 31.Jul.2018, 08:46 AM
Post #8

QUOTE (SmokerT69 @ 28.Jul.2018, 03:18 PM) *
I haven't had any issues getting jobs though based on my proficiency in Swedish. My problem has been with trying to deal with Skattsverket and migrationsverket lol. There ... (show full quote)

But you are here because of having genuine Swedish family ties.
Not some random who decided to pack and "give Sweden a try", like some ignorant people do, without having a clear plan in mind.

Sure enough by the time you do finish SFI, you would be much more attractive in the eyes of employers, as just even if it is basic speaking and writing Swedish, it can take you a long way!
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: