The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Registering as self employed in Sweden

While not being Swedish

Swedudette
post 27.Sep.2017, 04:18 PM
Post #1

In short, I'd like to register as self employed in Sweden. I live here but I'm not insured by my home country (also in European Union).

I wouldn't make much, I would mainly do it for fun, so I could make as little as say 1000 sek a year. It would be selling homemade stuff online.

What taxes would I have to pay? I assume I'd have to pay for my own insurance to the government and a percentage of my earnings by the end of the year? How much would that be, assuming I'd earn 1000 sek (for the same of the argument).
Go to the top of the page
+
BhuBhuKaZoo
post 27.Sep.2017, 04:20 PM
Post #2

Hello,

Well firstly, good luck in your venture! Secondly, there maybe someone that is able to help with your query but I would personally explore skatteverket's site and contact them directly as they would be more likely to help you in more detail than anyone here.

Thanks! Good luck!
+
yet another brit
post 27.Sep.2017, 06:36 PM
Post #3

Have a look at verksamt.se - there is plenty of info there.

You're asking a very mixed-up question.

If you were to register a sole-trader business in Sweden (as a Swedish resident), then you would pay your VAT in/out as a trader, account and deduct available expenses, and at the end of the year you would make a profit/loss. If you make a profit, the government will add the profit to your personal tax bill, and add a charge equivalent to employers tax. If you make a loss, it can be (for the first few years) deducted from your personal tax calculation. This to encourage startups.

So to answer your specific question, from 1000 kr profit, you would be charged employers tax (32% upwards direction, cant be bothered to do the maths downward), and then the remainder is added into your personal tax calculation as income, and taxed anywhere between 0% (ha!) and 55% depending on your other income, ie taxed at your marginal rate.

If you aren't resident in Sweden, then you need a more formal corporate vehicle. Lots of threads to look up. Close to the same overall calculation though.
+
john.boy
post 27.Sep.2017, 06:42 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (Swedudette @ 27.Sep.2017, 04:18 PM) *
In short, I'd like to register as self employed in Sweden. I live here but I'm not insured by my home country (also in European Union).

Do you have a relationship permit or meet the EU Right of Residence requirements?
+
Swedudette
post 27.Sep.2017, 09:31 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (BhuBhuKaZoo @ 27.Sep.2017, 05:20 PM) *
Hello,Well firstly, good luck in your venture! Secondly, there maybe someone that is able to help with your query but I would personally explore skatteverket's site an ... (show full quote)

I might try that, but to be honest, I'd prefer hearing out the people here first ah I know what I'm even asking.

Thank you though!

QUOTE (yet another brit @ 27.Sep.2017, 07:36 PM) *
Have a look at verksamt.se - there is plenty of info there.You're asking a very mixed-up question. If you were to register a sole-trader business in Sweden (as a Swedish r ... (show full quote)

I'll try doing more research, although so far I didn't come up with anything, hence why I posted this.

I am not registered as a resident in Sweden, however in a eu citizen, hence I can stay in any eu country without limitations as far as I know

And thank you for a descriptive post... As I understand then, I would have to pay plenty of tax on my income, but only that - not the insurance (I am not insured) or permit or something else like that.

QUOTE (john.boy @ 27.Sep.2017, 07:42 PM) *
Do you have a relationship permit or meet the EU Right of Residence requirements?

Yes, I am a eu citizen so I can stay in any euro country without limitations.
+
sandon
post 24.Oct.2017, 05:58 PM
Post #6

Unless you are residing in Sweden then it isn't possible to start a sole trader.
+
john.boy
post 24.Oct.2017, 06:17 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (Swedudette @ 27.Sep.2017, 10:31 PM) *
Yes, I am a eu citizen so I can stay in any euro country without limitations.

No you cannot. Freedom of movement allows for 3 months without meeting certain requirements. After 3 months you must meet the requirements for Right of Residence.
+
Cheeseroller
post 25.Oct.2017, 07:23 AM
Post #8

Why bother to make any business if all you sell is 1000:- per year. The webshop hosting fees will cost more than this!
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: