The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >   Reply to this topic

Inappropriate behaviour in the office.

Employees horsing around

skogsbo
post 19.Mar.2012, 04:47 PM
Post #31

QUOTE (mångk @ 19.Mar.2012, 03:00 PM) *
He is not the boss, he is the guy that owns the business and pays his employees regardless of what they do or say.. That is the problem. . Sorry Dave! sad.gif

I think it is a shame, if I was him I would go and do some leadership or management training in the UK, Brathay lodge type thing. No one will know him, it's in his first language and everyone at work will think he has just had another holiday, only he comes back with a plan that he slowly implements.

He could also hire a mentor, who could just look like a client visiting the company, he tells them his dilemma, they give him feed back and advise to put into action.

Either way Dave can develop himself as being at the top of a business in a country that is not your home nation, doesn't give you many options for feedback, unbiased friends or anyone to use as a role model, hence Dave's need to come on here for advice, he has no where else to turn.
Go to the top of the page
+
skogsbo
post 19.Mar.2012, 04:49 PM
Post #32

QUOTE (byke @ 19.Mar.2012, 03:30 PM) *
I wonder if any of Daves employees read this forum ...

I just really hope he doesn't use his real name, otherwise they must have seen this site at some point.
+
mångk
post 19.Mar.2012, 04:59 PM
Post #33

QUOTE (skogsbo @ 19.Mar.2012, 04:47 PM) *
I think it is a shame, if I was him I would go and do some leadership or management training in the UK, Brathay lodge type thing. No one will know him, it's in his first l ... (show full quote)

I think so as well!

The mentor/consultant idea is excellent for the short term whilst he either looks at hiring management or getting some type of management training.

He has identified the core issues himself. Both business and personal. It really is a matter of taking them and planning a way forward.
+
Yorkshireman
post 19.Mar.2012, 06:28 PM
Post #34

QUOTE (byke @ 19.Mar.2012, 04:30 PM) *
I wonder if any of Daves employees read this forum ...

...They probably do, on iPads in the toilet! laugh.gif
+
dave.smith
post 20.Mar.2012, 09:49 AM
Post #35

Thanks for the advice, guys. We do have an office assistant but she doesn't really help in controlling the new guys.

Her actual job is supposed to be an interface between me and the other employees since I am away so often, but these new guys seem to intimidate her. Her background isn't technical, but she is good with people, she is a long-time friend of my sambo, and she didn't have a job at the time, so it seemed like a perfect fit. Before these two guys started she was briefly penned in to become the GM of the company, but her lack of confidence has forced me to put that on hold.
+
chazza
post 20.Mar.2012, 10:37 AM
Post #36

she is a long-time friend of my sambo, and she didn't have a job at the time, so it seemed like a perfect fit.

perfect fit for who ? rolleyes.gif OBVIOUSLY not for your business.

No doubt about it Dave you are exasperatingly clueless when it comes to management but until you realise that for yourself you are doomed to keep doing the same things and over and will keep wondering why your staff continue to treat you with no respect. rolleyes.gif
+
carterhayes
post 20.Mar.2012, 12:14 PM
Post #37

dave;

Sack one of them.
+
gplusa
post 20.Mar.2012, 12:43 PM
Post #38

Dave's regular posts tell us that he lives in a fantastic world where he's a hero to all, and unappreciated by everyone. A regular people's champion. I wish that I lived in a world like that as well.

Each tale gets better than the one before, although the "blue eye baby" crisis still tops them all.
+
Snoopy!
post 20.Mar.2012, 01:03 PM
Post #39

Which is making me think Dave is a very good Troll, by posting topics with some degree of believability, either that or he is a complete & utter numpty as as boss+
Sorry Dave , I´m a bit of a sceptic
+
chazza
post 20.Mar.2012, 01:53 PM
Post #40

You are right - troll or utter numpty
+
skogsbo
post 20.Mar.2012, 02:14 PM
Post #41

QUOTE (dave.smith @ 20.Mar.2012, 08:49 AM) *
We do have an office assistant but she doesn't really help in controlling the new guys.Her actual job is supposed to be an interface between me and the other employees sin ... (show full quote)

What you have there is a PA, a secretary, not a manager or middle person.

Plus you made the mistake of employing a friend into a position of responsibility because they were jobless, not because the post suited them. You run a business for profit, not charity?

Who ever you employ as the manager needs to come from outside, don't promote someone internally, they will already have enemies and allies within. If you can't start to be ruthless and sort these few trouble makers out, then you need to get somebody in. Sounds like these two are making life miserable for more than just one other employee, the responsibility for a happy work place rests with you.

I don't think Dave is troll, he is just not cut out for managing people. But, at least he is here is Sweden running a business, employing people and paying tax. All we normally get on here are people moaning about how they can't get a job, SFI is rubbish, Swedes hate them etc.. so full marks to Dave(despite his flaws) in some respects for making Sweden work for him. Sweden would be a better place if it have a 100 more Daves, than a 100 more moaners, it would keep a few car salesmen in jobs too! wink.gif
+
JulieLou40
post 20.Mar.2012, 03:35 PM
Post #42

QUOTE (dave.smith @ 20.Mar.2012, 09:49 AM) *
Thanks for the advice, guys. We do have an office assistant but she doesn't really help in controlling the new guys.Her actual job is supposed to be an interface between m ... (show full quote)

Dave, is your real second name "Brent"?

QUOTE (gplusa @ 20.Mar.2012, 12:43 PM) *
Dave's regular posts tell us that he lives in a fantastic world where he's a hero to all, and unappreciated by everyone. A regular people's champion. I wish that I ... (show full quote)

Link, please! biggrin.gif
+
Nemesis
post 20.Mar.2012, 10:11 PM
Post #43

QUOTE (Snoopy! @ 20.Mar.2012, 02:03 PM) *
Which is making me think Dave is a very good Troll, by posting topics with some degree of believability, either that or he is a complete & utter numpty as as boss+ Sorry D ... (show full quote)

He is either a troll or the next thread he starts will be his bankruptcy and dealings with Kronofogden.
+
John.Smith
post 21.Mar.2012, 06:08 PM
Post #44

Dave... you need to to start acting like their boss. Right now you do not command any respect (no offense).
Get an office manager who can set their targets and be there 5 days a week. This will sort out a lot of the issues you have. Management by absenteeism does not and will never work.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 21.Mar.2012, 06:31 PM
Post #45

Let the lads have their fun...you mustn't smother creativity! blink.gif
+

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: