The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >   Reply to this topic

Australian Moving to Sweden?

Finding employment?

wallace1837
post 4.Dec.2017, 05:30 PM
Post #31

QUOTE (Gamla Hälsingebock @ 4.Dec.2017, 05:01 PM) *
Whose reality???. Reality is in the eyes of the beholder.... What you see is what you get.... If you keep looking for the monster under the bed, in a while it will become your reality...

Check the OECD data! It is not "whose reality". It is measurable discrimination observed by a third party. This is as good as its get in therm of reality.
Go to the top of the page
+
Svedallas
post 4.Dec.2017, 05:35 PM
Post #32

QUOTE (Gamla Hälsingebock @ 4.Dec.2017, 05:01 PM) *
Whose reality???. Reality is in the eyes of the beholder.... What you see is what you get.... If you keep looking for the monster under the bed, in a while it will become your reality...

+1 Yup!

And people take their "own reality" wherever they go...
Doesn't matter which country they live. They take their problems with them.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 4.Dec.2017, 05:45 PM
Post #33

Amen!

Just wondering about former complainers here, that have moved out of Sweden...

Are they happy in their new surroundings???
+
Mistress_Of_Doom
post 5.Dec.2017, 06:48 AM
Post #34

I think a lot of people don't like or fear change. They feel more safe and comfortable doing mundane things like they've always done, in their own country they know and grew up in. See the same people, watch the same tv, life on autopilot like a zombie. That's the only reason I can think of, why some people would absolutely hate this country so much.
+
Cheeseroller
post 5.Dec.2017, 10:44 AM
Post #35

People who fear change don't emigrate. But when you have lived longer than 2 years in Sweden, are fluent in the language, really understand the culture, and have experienced the glass ceilings that exist, perhaps you will understand why for some people moving to another country or returning home would be a better choice. For many, I suspect they don't have the financial resources or are trapped because they have children, and just have to suck it up - this applied to 90% of foreigners we met.

As one example, look around and try to find successful foreign owned companies, beyond those offering cleaning services, taxi's, take away food. In the UK and Germany, Canada or the USA, you will find a lot. Also, when Expressen or Aftondagbladet prints a list of the highest tax payers in Sweden for 2017, try to find one foreign name.
+
Bsmith
post 5.Dec.2017, 11:25 AM
Post #36

If you are looking for a quiet, peaceful life with little stress and lots of solitude, Sweden may be for you. If you are looking for wild, crazy excitement...probably not.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 5.Dec.2017, 02:37 PM
Post #37

There is a mystique about Sweden, it gets a lot of worldwide attention and has a great reputation...It is a prime example of the "grass is greener" legend.

People move there because they expect to find a utopia and are devastated to find that it is not, they are not happy and feel cheated...So they come here to vent, some do it properly and others do it unfairly...

Had they properly researched Sweden before they moved, this forum would be almost empty...
+
Cheeseroller
post 6.Dec.2017, 12:42 AM
Post #38

...probably because they are love migrants and believe the BS told by their Swedish partner, who if course has never faced discrimination.

If you look at the forum in Germany, apart from the odd gripe, expats seem pretty content with their lot and the forum is more engaged, with meet up groups and interesting discussions. But probably most moved for work, did their research, learned the language and if anything the Germans are petrified of being considered racist and do give foreigners a real chance, if they are competent and pay their taxes. Plus many small foreign owned businesses there.
+
Mistress_Of_Doom
post 6.Dec.2017, 03:18 PM
Post #39

I guess I am a "love migrant" but I don't feel stuck or very out of place here. I happily left NZ because I felt like I was stuck doing the same boring stuff and getting nowhere, in small city Hamilton, not learning or progressing much because everyone are happily being sheep. Yes I did move here for a lovely Swedish man, but my reasons go way beyond something so simple. Here in Sweden I get a fresh start, and not knowing anyone gives me a great sense of freedom. I love how time seems to run more slowly here. It used to frustrate me how much road rage there is in NZ, everyone are impatient and toot their horn freely. Another issue is all the smelly homeless people in NZ that are just unavoidable. Here I've seen beggars, sure, but not yet a single homeless person. As for racism, I'm 100% Asian and have not yet felt any discrimination here based on my ethnicity. Let's face it, no country is perfect, there are good and bad things about every country, but I think it's unfair to make Sweden out to be this hellhole that people should avoid.
+
Gjeebes
post 7.Dec.2017, 07:12 AM
Post #40

A common theme for the people who have this faux loyalty to Sweden, as foreigners, is that they came here, to run away from something at home, and are happy to become invisible (and from what I gather, they tend to be somewhat anti-social).

I'd say that is quite telling about the foreigners who are so blindly pro Sweden. They get their dark closet to hide in, and then feel they owe Sweden some debt of gratitude, and get upset, when others don't tow the party line? Did I get that right?

Is that why you so conveniently look past all the shit in Sweden?

Others of us don't come to Sweden to become Swedish, to become invisible, or to run from anything. We come here for work, grow our careers, live our lives and expect to have the same chances as any of the locals, especially when one has the same or higher qualifications.

Finding the glass ceiling is irritating as hell and does come as a surprise in country that seems to be (emphasis on the "seems" part) all about fairness, openness, and equality. And Sweden as a multi-culti...fuck sakes, don't make me laugh. And then to be told that their is no glass ceiling, by the locals, as you are held back, and watch the Svens, who can barely tie their shoelaces, be promoted to positions with huge amounts of responsibility, yet whom are fully incapable! Gimme a break!

I have lived in places that don't pay to fake their image, don't claim to be the world's "goodest" country, or any of the other bullshit Sweden pretends it is the King of, that have a much fairer system, all things considered, and much more opportunities.

Also interesting is how people are offended when someone doesn't buy into the same shite as they do. People here, who get upset at other people, who have had a terribly shit deal in Sweden, don't "get it", because they say to themselves, "well, everything is fine for me, what's that guy on about?". So small minded! Just like the ones that can't appreciate the shit deal of a homeless person, because they are "stinky" (what are we all stuck in high-school now)?

And for the record, there are loads of homeless in Sweden. There are loads of drug addicts in Sweden. There are loads of prostitutes in Sweden. There is loads of fraud in Sweden, there is loads of inequality in Sweden, and there is a SHIT LOAD of suicide and general misery in "envy of the world" Sweden, by Swedes, etc etc etc. They have just been photo-shopped out of the glossy pamphlet that is the PR bullshit Swedish "brand".

The same people here, who "don't get it", are the same people who will have arguments about "their" sports team, that is much much better than "your" sports team. The same people that say "Chrysler is shit, Ford is best" or also, and equally pointless, "Ford is shit, Chevy is best"...whatever.

This is the mentality of the defenders of Sweden! The words "artificial" and "shallow" come to mind.

And then we have here the most lowly, most pathetic of all, the Gamla "arm-chair-expert" types, who've never even lived here, yet have an opinion on everything about the place. Even offering advice for people asking about "should I live in this hood or that hood", as if he would actually know anything about what he is talking about!

Yes, one of the most sensitive "Swedo-warriors" on this forum, is presumably a man, who has NEVER lived here, yet spends time on a daily basis, making shit posts, about nothing!

So far, I have yet to find a compelling argument that Sweden really is such a great place, over and above everywhere else. After living here, and also having lived there, I just can't find it. Saying it is "no hell-hole" because one can no longer see or smell the homeless, just doesn't cut it. And then we have the whole other game of those who've got nothing more to say than, "well if its so bad, why did you come here (as if to imply one had a premonition prior to arriving showing what it is really like)", or "why don't you leave then".

I mean really, is that all your little peanut brains can muster?
+
Mistress_Of_Doom
post 7.Dec.2017, 10:10 AM
Post #41

First of all, I did come to Sweden for career advancement and I have found a respectable job. Even before I met my man I had already decided and saved up enough money to give it a try. Secondly, my examples were just my way of explaining that even NZ, usually advertised as this paradise, isn't perfect at all, hence why I said no country is perfect. Of course I can only speak from personal experience, but I'm not purposefully overlooking the shitty side of Sweden to be delusional. Fact of the matter is I'm doing just fine so far and there are others doing just fine. I'm not angry at those who hasn't had a good time here, quite frankly I don't care, but to tell everyone else that Sweden is just DANGER GET OUT WHILE YOU CAN is just as immature as you're making me out to be. I also didn't know there are people here with strong opinions but have never been to Sweden. That is a little strange.
+
Mistress_Of_Doom
post 7.Dec.2017, 10:15 AM
Post #42

Also I have no shame in admitting that I'm antisocial. I don't hide who I am, not even behind a computer screen.
+
wallace1837
post 7.Dec.2017, 10:18 AM
Post #43

QUOTE (Gjeebes @ 7.Dec.2017, 07:12 AM) *
A common theme for the people who have this faux loyalty to Sweden, as foreigners, is that they came here, to run away from something at home, and are happy to become invisibl ... (show full quote)

+1
+
Mistress_Of_Doom
post 7.Dec.2017, 11:35 AM
Post #44

At the end of the day, I don't consider Sweden to be the best country in the world, nor had I always dreamed of moving here because I thought it was some kind of Utopia. I only came here knowing that Sweden has some of the best restaurants in the world, and I'm an aspiring pastry chef. Everyone goes to France but I didn't want to be like everyone else. It could just as easily have been Denmark, or I could have been just as happy living in Canada. I would love to travel to Japan but the fastpaced lifestyle and crowded spaces just isn't for me. Me loving my life has nothing to do with Sweden, but who are you to tell someone not to try something just because you didn't like it.
+
Bsmith
post 7.Dec.2017, 02:23 PM
Post #45

Glad it's working out for you.
+

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: