The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
This discussion forum closed permanently on 25th February 2021.
8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »    Reply to this topic

Moving to Sweden in 2022

Trying to get a toe in with forestry/haulage

skogsbo
post 20.May.2020, 04:38 PM
Post #31

Go to the top of the page
+
JonathanR
post 20.May.2020, 04:45 PM
Post #32

The negativity from some in this thread is a little disappointing.

We've got our eyes wide open and know that like anywhere, Sweden has it's downsides.

Climate (as long as you stay away from the West Coast) is much better. I like the cold and I like summer, albeit one that isn't too long. The rainfall for Central Sweden going east is equivalent to East Anglia. It also peaks in summer, which I'm fine with as winter rain is what knickers work for me. Summers are a touch warmer than here, and winters are much colder. Perfect.

I was only making a joke at the accident of my appearance as regards to the social conformity that some have alluded to in this thread. My appearance is irrelevant to moving to Sweden.

We want to live rurally, work rurally, and fully integrate into society. I speak English and fluent German, which gives me a good headstart (I am told), and we have family there and my mum is fluent in Swedish and happy to come stay for extended periods to bring us up to speed.

My work is about the best suited that there is to living in Sweden given the profusion of forest, so I'm optimistic biggrin.gif

+
skogsbo
post 20.May.2020, 04:54 PM
Post #33

I wouldn't worry the forum attracts quite a few who have never been to or worked in sweden, who just want to troll. Equally there are those where it hasn't worked, but they don't move on in life.

A positive happy outlook, combined with research will over come many obstacles that moving country will put in your way. On a positive note you'll find a dozen regular moaners here, but in the last 2 years 7000 Brits applied for Swedish passports before Brexit.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 20.May.2020, 05:35 PM
Post #34

Sadly this forum has always been a place for people to "potty mouth" Sweden and its peoples...

Constructive and enlightening posts are here but you have to go through a lot of trash to find their value...

So be it...
+
TheExpatEagle
post 20.May.2020, 07:17 PM
Post #35

I've lived in Sweden for almost 20 years in Stockholm and Sk?ne. I like living here and I like the Swedes but that doesn't blinker me to the difficulties in living here for Brits, especially ones moving here now.

I have worked in programs for Arbetsf?rmedlingen which mad mostly foreigners in as well as Swedes and the situation Grommet has described is, in my experience, fairly accurate. This is based on 2 of the 3 largest cities in Sweden.

The OP will either succeed here or not and we can only share our experiences. In my case it is also based on the 400 or 500 deltagare I had as well during my years working in that program.

There will be problems not foreseen. For example, the OP didn't think it would be a problem to swap his driving licence after Brexit goes through because he has German citizenship. It might not be a problem depending on the final deal but this kind of oversight or bad advice given to him can be the difference between a good start and a bad one.

For example, health care. When the OP moves here he will not be insured. Even under the current rules he would not be covered because once people move here they need to pay for health care either through tax or by some other way because the EU medical card does not cover people once they move to that country.

So after December 31st it could mean the OP moves here and has no medical insurance. I am happy to be corrected of course but at the time of writing who knows what the situation will be but I can't imagine it will be better than it is now.

In any case this is all by the by because in 2022 he will need a visa to move to Sweden in order to work or start a business so it may not even happen. Even today people can't just move to Sweden, they need a job within 3 months and they can't just move and put their kids in schools.

I can't speak for Grommet but for me I would rather paint a realistic picture for someone moving here than one of all sunshine and positivity because life is difficult here for a native English speaker, more so in the middle of rural Sweden.

Either way it doesn't affect me but if I can say something to help someone then I will because as I see things it won't be a simple to move here in 2022 from the UK as some people in this thread and in other threads think it will be.

I genuinely wish the OP luck but I suspect there will be more humps in the road than any of us can predict right now because the final deal to leave the EU has not been finalised but we know what the UK is doing to EU nationals regarding work permits so we can at least think that will be the same going in the opposite direction.

As a final thought, I know some people who moved to Sweden when their kids were around 5 or 6 years old and they have been in a year behind other kids because their Swedish wasn't the same standard. So this summer the kids are graduating as 19 year olds.

Maybe the OP might want his kinds to go to an international or English school to help and that might affect where he moves to?

From my experience working in schools I would say the UK is behind kids here of the same age and that is not taking language into account. Swedish kids tend to focus on fewer subjects than the equivalent kids in the UK.

Sorry this is a little here and there but I have had some distractions while writing it. :-/
+
skogsbo
post 20.May.2020, 07:46 PM
Post #36

The OP could use German citizenship to move here without any problems. His partner can work virtually so they'll have immediate income and potentially avoid the personal number issue. Kids, they have two years to start teaching Swedish. Driving licence will of course depend on any Brexit reciprocal rights deal, can resolve that until after December.

Most problems are solvable with planning and preparation!
+
Mrs Robinsson
post 20.May.2020, 08:07 PM
Post #37

Additional considerations... will Sweden be a better place in 10, 20, 30 years?

Will healthcare and education improve, these are crucial - you being a family man. These 2 areas are currently rated on the low end of western Europe. Will they improve?

What about immigration and asylum seekers and their grip on the society and culture in certain areas? I don't see a joyous integration anytime soon.

What about the worsening crime rate, rape rate, murder rate, etc. I don't see this improving especially with the morale of police evaporating.

This is why I left and will never go back (to live). Of course when I lived there things were much better than now.
+
JonathanR
post 20.May.2020, 09:48 PM
Post #38

+
Mrs Robinsson
post 21.May.2020, 12:46 AM
Post #39

Good luck, I feel your responses and approach are considerably preferable to the majority of people, who move there cluelessly.

In fact, your approach and planning is one of the best I've seen on these forums.

It does help immensely to have your brother's network and support. Keep us in the loop.

My actual time in Sweden itself was not that bad, it came down to the contemplation of planning a long term future with a family and I got the hell out.

+
Gimp
post 21.May.2020, 05:55 AM
Post #40

QUOTE (skogsbo @ 20.May.2020, 04:38 PM) *
Yeah. Lots of eu migrant workers come expecting the red carpet, job assistance, benefits, accommodation etc.. they don't get anything, so unsurprisingly only those with th ... (show full quote)

Wow, defensive are we? And yes there are many issues around the world... and Sweden is not free of them. I figured this forum would be specifically about Sweden. Pardon moi rolleyes.gif

What I say has been proven over and over. And yes there is a disparity of natives and non natives in probably all countries... and in Sweden it is a very very high disparity, and rate. This is not Sweden bashing. This is not calling it like I see it. This is the truth. The op is in for a hard time unless they are really going to fill a need.

Who knows, maybe his wife, who works remotely, is the bread winner so being profitable is not a necessity?

There are also many qualified non natives who are unemployed, underemployed etc. That is also the truth.

The expat eagle says it very well below.
QUOTE (TheExpatEagle @ 20.May.2020, 07:17 PM) *
I've lived in Sweden for almost 20 years in Stockholm and Sk?ne. I like living here and I like the Swedes but that doesn't blinker me to the difficulties in living her ... (show full quote)

Very well put. It?s not all rainbows and it?s not an escape.
+
Grommet
post 21.May.2020, 05:57 AM
Post #41

QUOTE (skogsbo @ 20.May.2020, 05:54 PM) *
I wouldn't worry the forum attracts quite a few who have never been to or worked in sweden, who just want to troll. Equally there are those where it hasn't worked, but ... (show full quote)

This forum also seems to have attracted a few whom have appointed themselves as cheer leaders for Sweden. They simply dismiss everything that is less than flattering. And then in the typical Swedish style, they discriminate against any perceived dissent, different experiences or different opinions, and harshly label people without knowing anything about them.

They try to bully contributors here because they have a different opinion. They kill any debate, any adult discussion because somehow they take any difference in opinion as a personal attack. That is why hyper-sensitive Skogsbo attacks when he finds something disagreeable. Actually, OP, you can expect such behaviour from the culture if you move to Sweden, from the locals. But when they attack, you don't even know it. Kind of like a high-school clique culture in some ways. Very immature, and quite nasty.

Like Sweden in general, this forum is a place where you are forced to agree (much like with, for example, the current corona handling) even when you can see things are going tits up. And as Gamla has already admitted, if you indicate something he doesn't like, he will try to delete you.

OP, I am a realist, not a pessimist. I wish you all the best in your adventure. Yes there are good things in Sweden, for sure. But so it is anywhere else as well, and Sweden has created problems for itself that are quite unique due to an extreme social ideaology that is equally unique.
+
skogsbo
post 21.May.2020, 06:10 AM
Post #42

QUOTE (Grommet @ 21.May.2020, 05:57 AM) *
This forum also seems to have attracted a few whom have appointed themselves as cheer leaders for Sweden. They simply dismiss everything that is less than flattering. And then ... (show full quote)

Debate the topic then.. share your experiences of sweden? What went wrong for you? What went right? Offer advice?

No country is perfect, but different countries suit different people. It's finding one that suit you personally which makes for a happy life, any problems which you then encounter become way less significant.
+
skogsbo
post 21.May.2020, 06:18 AM
Post #43

+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 21.May.2020, 06:44 AM
Post #44

I think the biggest problem that we encounter here is culture shock...People leave a country and culture and expect the culture to come with them and have it applicable to life in Sweden/elsewhere...that does not work...

You cannot judge a potato using rules that only apply to a tomato...naturaly they are quite different and so are the cultural aspects of people...you cannot judge a Swede by rules that are different in his/her society than what you are used to...I won't say when in Rome, etc...but I will say try to understand the people first before your offer of constructive critising of them for being...SWEDISH...

If you leave your culture behind...you won't be comfortable practicing it in other places, let alone Sweden...
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 21.May.2020, 06:49 AM
Post #45

"And as Gamla has already admitted, if you indicate something he doesn't like, he will try to delete you."

Not quite right, but I thank you for the kindness of your thoughts...
+

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topic
11 User(s) are reading this topic (11 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: