The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Awesome baking or dishes from your home country

Recipes for food usually unavailable in Sweden

wellygirl
post 23.Oct.2007, 08:56 PM
Post #1

OK so Sweden has it's Kanel Bullar and so on and so on...

I just got inspired to make some ANZAC biscuits!

So yummy!

And for you Kiwis thinking "OH NO! But my golden syrup supply has just run out!" It's ok!! I found this recipe which uses honey instead...

They did seem to go very very flat on baking, so 20 biscuits ended up being one GIANT one!! hehe, but still very tasty!
(Sorry Ben but I can't promise there'll still be any left by next time I see you, but they are piss easy to make so you never know...)

So here goes:

Ingredients

1 cup plain flour
1 cup rolled oats (regular oatmeal) uncooked
1 cup desiccated coconut
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
2 tbsp golden syrup (or honey)
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tbsp boiling water

Method

Combine the flour (sifted), oats, coconut and sugar in a bowl.
Melt the butter and Golden Syrup (or honey) in a saucepan over a low heat..

Mix the bicarbonate of soda with the water and add to the butter and Golden Syrup.

Pour the liquids into the dry ingredients and mix well.

Spoon dollops of mixture, about the size of a walnut shell, onto a greased tin leaving as much space again between dollops to allow for spreading.

Bake in a moderate oven, 180C / 350F, for 15-20 minutes.

Cool on a wire rack and seal in airtight containers.

So what's your little delicassy from your corner of the world??
Go to the top of the page
+
Michele
post 23.Oct.2007, 09:08 PM
Post #2

BUCKEYE BALLS

1 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
16 oz. confectioners sugar
6 oz. semi-sweet chocolate
2 Tablespoons solid vegetable shortening

Mix the peanut butter, butter, vanilla and sugar together in a bowl with your hands until completely blended. The dough is very stiff. Roll into balls about 1 inch across and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Put into the fridge. In a double boiler, melt the chocolate and shortening together until smooth. Take the balls out of the fridge and use a toothpick to dip the balls into the chocolate until there is only about 1/4 to 1/3 left without chocolate, place the balls back on the parchment paper with the chocolate side down and put back into the fridge until chocolate is firm. Store in the fridge in an airtight container.

These are something I grew up with as a wonderful treat in the back woods of Maine. Careful, you can only eat a couple as they are soooooooo rich! wink.gif
+
roch
post 24.Oct.2007, 09:49 AM
Post #3

CORN FRITTERS

2 Cans of corn (can be normal or creamed but I dont think you can get creamed corn here...)
2 Eggs separated
2 1/2 Tblespoons flour
Salt and pepper

(Optional is to add finely diced 1/2 onion, or maybe some finely diced ham or bacon etc... in to the mixture, whcih is what I normally do)

Put corn and egg yolks into bowl.. mix and add four, salt and pepper. (If you are putting in extras put them in here...)

Beat the egg whites in seperate bowl until white and stiff and then fold into the corn mixture. (if mixture is still too wet add a little bit more flour..not too much)

In a frying pan melt some butter but not too hot or it will burn!
Take spoonfuls of the mixture and drop into the pan and fry both sides until golden.
(dont be alarmed if the corn sometimes makes popping sounds like popcorn hehe..)

Eat with anything, add some tomato sauce and extra salt and papper on top if you like.
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
+
Puffin
post 25.Apr.2009, 09:56 AM
Post #4

QUOTE (wellygirl @ 23.Oct.2007, 09:56 PM) *
And for you Kiwis thinking "OH NO! But my golden syrup supply has just run out!" It's ok!! I found this recipe which uses honey instead...

Use Swedish Golden syrup instead! - it's much cheaper than using honey

It goes by the name of 'ljus brödsirap' and can be found in plastic bottles of the baking section in supermarkets - costs about 15-20kr for a large bottle
http://www.recepten.se/info/broedsirap.html

There is also a dark bread syrup (mörk brödsirap) which tastes the same as treacle and can be used in place of treacle or molasses etc
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: