The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Pita bread recipes

This one is great

roch
post 13.Apr.2008, 03:46 PM
Post #1

Thought would share this recipe for pita bread. I made some today and we stuffed them with salad etc...

They really do puff up and become hollow and were super easy to cut. Have half the dough in the fridge to bake some more up for lunch over the next few days.

Makes 10 Pita breads.

Pita Bread
INGREDIENTS:
• 1 package of yeast, or quick rising yeast
• 1/2 cup warm water
• 3 cups all purpose flour
• 1 1/4 teapsoon salt
• 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
• 1 cup lukewarm water
PREPARATION:
Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup of warm water. Add sugar and stir until dissolved. Let sit for 10-15 minutes until water is frothy.

Combine flour and salt in large bowl.

Make a small depression in the middle of lour and pur yeast water in depression.

Slowly add 1 cup of warm water, and stir with wooden spoon or rubber spatula until elastic.

PLace dough on floured surface and knead for 10-15 minutes.
When the dough is no longer stick and is smooth and elastic, it has been successfully kneaded.

Coat large bowl with vegetable oil and place dough in bowl. Turn dough upside down so all of the dough is coated.

Allow to sit in a warm place for about 3 hours, or until it has doubled in size.

Once doubled, roll out in a rope, and pinch off 10-12 small pieces. Place balls on floured surface. Let sit covered for 10 minutes. Preheat oven to 270deg C. and make sure rack is at the very bottom of oven. Be sure to preheat your baking sheet/tray also.

Roll out each ball of dough with a rolling pin into circles. Each should be about 5-6 inches across and 1/4 inch thick.

Bake each circle for 4 minutes until the bread puffs up. Turn over and bake for 2 minutes.

Remove each pita with a spatula from the baking sheet and add additional pitas for baking.

Ok I cheated as I have a breadmaker so I used the dough cycle which takes 2 hours from start until in the oven.
If you use a breadmaker for the dough cycle make sure you add the extra half cup of water that would have been added if you had done it by hand... so it total 1 1/2 cups water...
Also add the ingredients as you normally would for your maker.. water, sugar, salt, flour and then yeast last.

The end result was fantastic... super easy and really great, especially still warm out of the oven with whatever you are gong to have inside...I also brushed the top of mine after baking with a TINY amount of olive oil as I had too much flour on the baking tray and they had a bit too much flour on them.

Storing Pita Bread

Pita bread can be stored for up to a week in a pantry or bread box, and up to a month in the freezer. Be sure to use freezer bags when storing in the freezer.
User Reviews

Overall Rating: 5 out of 5
Absolutely Perfect Recipe, January 11, 2008
By MaryTab (read all my reviews)

"I have been making pita bread for quite a few years, and have never really found a recipe that resulted in that sort of 'soft/rough/chewy' texture I like so much. This recipe is like a jewel of a find! The bread came out exactly the way I remember the breads from my youth.
I did one thing differently though. I placed the hot loaves in a baking pan, and covered them with a damp cheesecloth until they deflated. I then moved them to a paper bag so the remaining steam could dissipate. Only after they were completely cooled, did I place them in plastic bags.
Heavenly bread! Many thanks for this recipe."

Go to the top of the page
+
evakaram
post 13.Apr.2008, 04:57 PM
Post #2

Sounds good...I always wondered how easy or not it is to make them. Will try one day when feeling ultra domestic.
+
s_tock_holm
post 23.Apr.2009, 11:35 PM
Post #3

Thanks for the recipe! Will try when I have time.

Do you know how long they will keep?
+
Joemath
post 24.Apr.2009, 04:21 AM
Post #4

Next, how do you make gluten-free pita bread?
+
CHL0E
post 24.Apr.2009, 10:20 AM
Post #5

Nice recipe~ Gonna try it this weekend.
+
Kind Man
post 24.Apr.2009, 10:42 AM
Post #6

Thanks for sharing

here is video for those who cant read English so click on link and learn how to cook and dont forget to invite me for eating LOL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq9goyWzfso
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: