The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

The Picking and Plucking Thread

Gathering food from the wild

DidiE
post 13.Jun.2009, 04:04 PM
Post #1

You know there are hunters and gatherers, right? I am a gatherer. I love going out on walks and returning with the day's dinner, or at least part of it. I love Sweden for its access rights, and for the sheer quantity of food you can gather on a summer day. Just got back with 2 kilos of wild onions, am off to the store for butter and cream and will make a nice no-calorie soup for dinner. Can't wait for the berries to come in, too. Life is good, even if it's raining, and trust me, the neighbours up and down the street can smell what's cooking for dinner tonight.

Are there any other walker-picker-plucker type folks out there? Would be fun to hear what you pick, and where, and when, and compare notes. But I'm not expecting explicit directions to your favourite patch- we can keep our secrets, okay?
Go to the top of the page
+
Princess P
post 13.Jun.2009, 04:11 PM
Post #2

Is one allowed to gather on someone else's land? My neighbour has some rhubarb that would look very nice gathered into my pie dish.
+
DidiE
post 13.Jun.2009, 08:08 PM
Post #3

Yes, absolutely. You can even go into his kitchen and take some flour, if you need it.
+
Kikiduu
post 13.Jun.2009, 08:16 PM
Post #4

Guess people who do that will be the "hunters" laugh.gif
+
Mzungu
post 13.Jun.2009, 08:30 PM
Post #5

Please don't pluck my veggies,the resident hund happens to be a veracious meat eater!

Gathering yes,there is an abundance if one knows where and what to look for,apart from your mentioned onions,we have in the south at least 1/2 dozen different berries and numerous shrooms...All coming soon, as well as the wild carrot erb,the root can be used in stews,soups,cakes and marmalade.

*had the rain,now await the sun!
+
jack sprat
post 13.Jun.2009, 10:14 PM
Post #6

I am a hunter and a gatherer.

I hunt for tasty scraps in Swedish gardens.

I gather them through the night when all good Swedes are sound asleep.

I am particularly partial to hunds.

The bigger they are the better price they make at my local Korean.
+
bjornkallas
post 26.Jun.2009, 11:14 AM
Post #7

Last time my friend picked up wild onions, he was rushed to hospital with heavy poisoning. He had obviously eaten some wild-flower bulbs, daffodils or something similar. So, yeah, be careful with what you gather. I love picking berries and mushrooms, though. It is really nice and relaxing!
+
Inletwatcher
post 26.Jun.2009, 12:33 PM
Post #8

Oh I know DidiE! I just got back from the cabin and I could see miles of blossoms waiting to be berries. I can't wait for fall when I can go harvest and get my butt and knees and hands purple, back cramps but there are more over...there! I enjoy also the rubarb, as my Swedish neighbors seem to like the plant, but don't know the joy of a rubarb/strawberry pie! I have almost 2 lbs diced and individually frozen for this winters baking. You should hear me scream with glee when I find the first yellow canterella **spelling off I am sure. How beautiful they are, hidden under leaves. I can sniff them out like a hound. These wild onions you speak of.. how do you know which are really onions? Wild carrots!! oh my oh my
I so want to find the 'secret' cropping and go gathering!

Inlet, with bucket in hand
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: