The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Tea for Dee

My new addiction is a healthy one, I think

DidiE
post 14.Sep.2009, 05:47 PM
Post #1

Shocking news in Didi E's very tiny world. I have tried tea, and found it good. Not that regular black schmutz you all call tea, but rooibos tea, noncaffeinated, and slightly flavoured with vanilla.

I tried that black and green leaf crap many times over in my life, but could never ever adapt to the tannins in the taste. Can't abide the taste of coffee, either. Pepsi Max has been the sustaining force of my studies and work life for lo, these many years. However, I have the vague feeling that 16 liters or however much it is I consume a day is probably not healthy so I've been wondering what I could use to slowly move the crap cola lite monkey off my back. Picked up a pack of this stuff on sale at Ica and have decided I could definitely do this one.

The only thing that is turning me off from making a full switch immediately is how tea drinkers behave. I had a boss who would summon you in for a conference, and then insist that you sit quietly and wait while he heated up the water, dunked his tea the precise number of times, and then slurped. If he didn' t like what you had to say, he'd just slurp over you and go on with his own diatribe. Every tea drinker I've known has some kind of ritual attached to their drinking, and it is all sort of annoying. At least with coffee drinkers who are fans of the moccachoccolata foo foo drinks they are able to talk to you while they get their drinks, since they usually have someone else brew for them. But tea drinkers...meh. I like this drink, but am not sure I want to join the Tea as Lifestyle Church. Maybe I'll just brew it in the morning, throw it in Pepsi Max bottles and pretend it's not tea.
Go to the top of the page
+
Plowbridge
post 14.Sep.2009, 08:14 PM
Post #2

I wonder what Dodie thinks of it all?
+
Gwrhyr
post 14.Sep.2009, 08:45 PM
Post #3

I know what you mean about tea rituals. I didn't like tea at all until living in Taiwan and then basicly became addicted to the "old timer's tea ritual" which is a way of making tea in a tiny, miniature clay teapot... Taiwanese Oolong brewed that way is sooooo good and a thousand times better than the way tea is brewed in the West. BUT everyone laughed at me because I was 17 and that way of drinking tea was for the elderly, because of its ritualized and solitary nature (normally tea there for young people is a fast-food beverage, and for middle aged people it's a social/business/home-visit ritual).
I guess there's something about tea that promotes ritual, but that's no excuse for people to subject unwilling others to their teascapades. In my opinion, that is agains the Odes of Tea... shame on them!
Glad you found something you like though, rooibos is definitely healthier than crapola.
ph34r.gif
+
smokin joe
post 14.Sep.2009, 08:48 PM
Post #4

pg tips from willys in uppsala.
it rocks
+
boojiboy
post 14.Sep.2009, 08:58 PM
Post #5

Yep PG Tips! thats REAL tea! none that poncy flavoured coloured water stuff. Cant say i have a ritual just boil kettle shove teabag in cup add sugar, water and milk hey presto! and drink!
coffee drinkers annoy me!
+
smokin joe
post 14.Sep.2009, 08:59 PM
Post #6

good post dude
all that flavoured tea is for poofs imho
+
futureishere
post 14.Sep.2009, 09:39 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (boojiboy @ 14.Sep.2009, 09:58 PM) *
Yep PG Tips! thats REAL tea! none that poncy flavoured coloured water stuff. Cant say i have a ritual just boil kettle shove teabag in cup add sugar, water and milk ... (show full quote)

sugar, water and milk??? Yoohoo! One more of my kind!
+
OMaHTLD
post 15.Sep.2009, 06:03 AM
Post #8

Tetleys, half a sugar and plenty of cow juice.

In saying that I like coffee too, and I have promised myself one of those super duper fancy coffee makers that grinds the beans and brews it for you, though I'm not looking forward to the six hundred quid price, but sometimes you just have to spoil yourself :-)
+
DidiE
post 15.Sep.2009, 07:11 AM
Post #9

The thing is, if you drink something every single day of your life, you should have the best quality you can afford. If you drink the foofy coffee stuff, then go for the super duper ultra coolio machine.

What is this PG tips that everyone goes on about? Regular black mud type drink? No thanks. And why do you all have to put so much milk and sugar in it? In my mind, that is evidence that the unadulterated stuff is umm, ooooky.

I like your description of Taiwanese tea customs, G. But the abosolute worst tea I ever tasted was in the teahouse on the top floor of the national museum in Taipei. They had something called butter flavoured tea, which the always foolish Didi E thought sounded...intriguing. Intriguing like boiled goats tail, is more like it. I was trying so hard to be polite, but had to excuse myself for a while to recuperate from that one.
+
smokin joe
post 15.Sep.2009, 07:56 AM
Post #10

sitting here as i type drinking a strong cuppa pg tips with sugar and a little milk.
i'm a builder.when i used to work in london many customers would make us flavoured tea and all that crap.
we used to throw it in the flower pots.
pg tips or nothing for joe peeps
+
Mzungu
post 15.Sep.2009, 09:41 AM
Post #11

^
Sounds like you could be happy with a cup or two of, 'Superior Gunpowder loose leaf green tea '...

*add a drop of scotch at will*
+
smokin joe
post 15.Sep.2009, 09:47 AM
Post #12

QUOTE (Mzungu @ 15.Sep.2009, 09:41 AM) *
^. Sounds like you could be happy with a cup or two of, 'Superior Gunpowder loose leaf green tea '.... *add a drop of scotch at will*

Attached Image

+
Jamtjim
post 15.Sep.2009, 10:14 AM
Post #13

I found that if you leave the skin and fur of a squirrel in hot water to infuse for a minute or two, you can make a lovely Flightless Partridge Tea. It goes really well with ratatouille... made with real rat of course.
+
unkle strunkle
post 15.Sep.2009, 10:37 AM
Post #14

I was really into the yerba mate ritual for awhile. Complete with gourd and filter tipped metal straw. But it woke me up a little too much more than coffee, so I gave it up. That's a powerful brew!
blink.gif
+
Dodie
post 15.Sep.2009, 12:02 PM
Post #15

QUOTE (Plowbridge @ 14.Sep.2009, 08:14 PM) *
I wonder what Dodie thinks of it all?

Well...
I love tea, and I too drink a lot of Redbush (Roobios) tea, and I used to drink the vanilla flavoured one a lot.
Now mostly I drink mint tea.
I'm not into your bog standard PG tips or Tetely, I preffer Assam and Ceylon. But I find the tannins and caffein give me a headache if I drink it all the time, so I stick to the redbush and mint for regular drinking.

I agree there are a lot of tea rituals, but I find them rather endeering, alhtouhg I'm not aware of having any myself.
Go on join us, become tea drinker and celebrate all it's glory.
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: