The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
This discussion forum closed permanently on 25th February 2021.
7 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 >   Reply to this topic

Australian DJs un-funny prank

With very sad outcome

gplusa
post 13.Dec.2012, 07:42 AM
Post #76

What they have said is that they will donate the profits from their advertising revenue gathered between now and the end of the year, not the revenue itself. It would surprise me if a globally minor radio station would clear $500k in 2 weeks in advertising profits alone, but I'll take them at their word.

It's a bit naive to be blaming the UK media for all this. Of course they were going to pick up on a story that was relevant to a UK audience, regardless of where that story was generated. That's how they source their news. How do you think that a radio station in Sydney with an audience of 150k gets its news items to broadcast every hour. Once you put something out into the public domain, be it via mainstream media, blog sites, internet forms, you are making that item public property. Which is all the more reason to be very careful before publishing anything. Once its out there, you no longer control what happens to it. You can't really use the argument that somethng is funny because the victim never knew about it. The test is what the victim thinks of it, and the verdict in this case was very clear. Never was funny, never will be.
Go to the top of the page
+
Snoopy!
post 13.Dec.2012, 02:25 PM
Post #77

Well the media dogs have done a good job now haven't they

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/nationa...b-1226536454512
+
Coolrunnings
post 13.Dec.2012, 02:35 PM
Post #78

What kind of idiot commits suicide over a prank call?

Hmmm...
+
Pursuivant
post 13.Dec.2012, 04:08 PM
Post #79

I likewise can not understand at all why this nurse killed herself. That was an even more stupid act than forwarding a call as the night nurse at 5am. I could understand if the hospital's chief of security had committed suicide after being sacked. As far as I understand neither of the nurses on duty had faced any kind of action by the hospital, or even the Palace. Fair does, you get ridiculed, but a grown woman with two underaged children and a steady job (even it was a crappy shift job away from family)? Seriously she was without any mental problems? Or am I the one with mental problems I'd gone "o fuk" and had a larf over it in the mess. Who needs a serious kick in the ass is the Security chief of the hospital and the procedures - like someone said the way information is given and callers vetted. the nurses were in no way responsible if they hadn't been expressly taught security protocols - lacking common sense at 5am is human after all. What the Australian radio DJs should be done is given a commendation for exposing a security breach. The easiest way to "hack into" a computer system is to call somewhere and ask peoples passwords. .
+
Hisingen
post 13.Dec.2012, 07:41 PM
Post #80

QUOTE (Coolrunnings @ 13.Dec.2012, 02:35 PM) *
What kind of idiot commits suicide over a prank call? . Hmmm...

I am sure the family of this late nurse would be pleased to tell you, and no doubt thank you for calling her an idiot.
+
Rick Methven
post 14.Dec.2012, 10:31 AM
Post #81

QUOTE (Coolrunnings @ 13.Dec.2012, 02:35 PM) *
What kind of idiot commits suicide over a prank call?

You seem like a man who is full of the milk of human kindness cool.gif

Fair does, you get ridiculed, but a grown woman with two underaged children and a steady job (even it was a crappy shift job away from family)? Seriously she was without any mental problems? Or am I the one with mental problems I'd gone "o fuk" and had a larf over it in the mess.

Have you ever thought that some people are not as insensitive or as thick as to short planks as you are?
+
Pursuivant
post 14.Dec.2012, 12:37 PM
Post #82

Have you ever thought the world is full of idiots? We need more prank calls.
+
Hisingen
post 14.Dec.2012, 01:00 PM
Post #83

And by your reckoning, perhaps more suicides too. Who shall we begin with ? ? ? ? ? cool.gif
+
Pursuivant
post 14.Dec.2012, 01:28 PM
Post #84

I can give you a call.
+
Snoopy!
post 14.Dec.2012, 03:05 PM
Post #85

hmmm slowly a bigger picture will come out & perhaps will see who is covering whose ass !? and the media dogs will realize not ONE single denominator was a cause of this tragedy, but many current unknown factors.

Reports have claimed that one note specifically addresses her employers and criticism of hospital staff despite officials previously maintaining they were fully supportive of the nurse.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/kat...d-hospital.html
+
Rick Methven
post 14.Dec.2012, 03:33 PM
Post #86

Irrespective of subsequent factors that contributed to the way the woman reacted, it would never have happened if the idiot DJ's and their bosses at the radio station had not persisted in breaching broadcasting law and put the 'prank' on air. Without them and their actions, the woman would be at home with her family for Christmas.
+
Hede
post 14.Dec.2012, 06:48 PM
Post #87

I dont think she killed her self they killed him just like they did with princess Diana
+
Hamsterdam
post 15.Dec.2012, 10:25 AM
Post #88

Let's wrap this one up. A prank is a prank and the nurse overreacted to a situation that distressed her.

However the Aussie media seem to think the British media are using this to bash Aussies.

Wrong, prank calls and hospitals do not go together, the idiot DJ's are ultimately responsible for a woman's death.
+
byke
post 28.Dec.2012, 10:47 AM
Post #89

According to the sun (I know) ... said DJ's will most probably not face any charges.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/...ce-charges.html
+
The Nine
post 28.Dec.2012, 12:01 PM
Post #90

It has come to light in recent days, from her own family, no less, that this woman had attempted suicide on two previous occasions in the past 12 months. She was clearly very unstable prior to this prank call.
+

7 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: