The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3   Reply to this topic

A good bank for foreigners?

Pref. with an English customer service/online bank

deaninsweden
post 9.Mar.2012, 03:11 PM
Post #31

Picked up my ID card today. Walked into Swedebank and opened up an account. However they say that I need to have my salary paid Into the account. I'm employed by a UK employer into my Natwest account and want it to stay that way. My only wish was to have an account I can transfer money into (half my salary) but seems this is no longer allowed?

Anyone here doing something similar? If so what bank are you with?
Go to the top of the page
+
deaninsweden
post 9.Mar.2012, 03:23 PM
Post #32

I mean they want my uk salary paid in before I get a card
+
Johno
post 9.Mar.2012, 04:20 PM
Post #33

Once you have a decent balance in you ought to be able to get a Maestro card to get cash and pay in shops. Otherwise the account is rather useless. But you likely need a regular sum going in to qualify to get a Visa or Mastercard. Its a reasonable requirement. Branches seem to vary as to how and when they will give you access to internet banking. Equally some Sparbanks charge for this and some dont.
+
skogsbo
post 9.Mar.2012, 06:51 PM
Post #34

No dramas at handels, opened account, had visa card in post next day, pin the following, no regular salary at all for many months. Go rural, explain your situation and if they don't like it, take your trade elsewhere.
+
deaninsweden
post 9.Mar.2012, 07:54 PM
Post #35

Just contacted Handelsbanken

Thanks for the tip!
+
Cenk
post 28.Dec.2015, 10:24 PM
Post #36

Hello guys,
I wanted to update the topic since I will be needing a bank account soon and the info on the page is pretty outdated.
The basic question is what would be the best bank for an expat? By saying 'best' I refer to:
- low transfer charges
- easy availability of branches
- possibly no charges for salary account
- english online banking etc.
Thanks in advance for the help,
+
JeremyH
post 29.Dec.2015, 08:30 AM
Post #37

QUOTE (Cenk @ 29.Dec.2015, 12:24 AM) *
Hello guys,I wanted to update the topic since I will be needing a bank account soon and the info on the page is pretty outdated. The basic question is what would be the best b ... (show full quote)

Hi!

I am from the UK and I was able to open an account at Nordea with just a temporary personnummer. I don't believe that I have to pay any fees and there is online banking (not in English) where you can see your statement and send money. If you have a personnummer then I think that another bank would be better but if you have the same limitations as I did then i'd suggest that you try Nordea. I can't promise that they will let you open an account, it all depends on who you speak to!
+
Cenk
post 29.Dec.2015, 06:09 PM
Post #38

Thanks JeremyH for the comment.

I do actually have a personnummer. I am thinking of Swedbank but not sure about the quality of the services. I literally hate working with any bank but eventually there is no escape.
+
bonviveur
post 5.Jan.2016, 07:52 PM
Post #39

need to open account also, tried nearest bank to me which is sparbank branch, no success, clerk wanted swedish id to be presented. sad.gif
is there any banks accepting applications via internet? have personnumer and passport to show
is there other way to pay bills than banks?
thanks
+
*barnacles*
post 17.Mar.2016, 09:36 AM
Post #40

Hello everyone,

If you do not have a personnummer, but have a work permit, walk into SEB(I went to Liljeholmen branch)

Bring these documents with you
1. Passport
2. Residence permit card
3. When you apply for personnummer at Skatteverket, they will give you a copy of your application. Bring that.
4. Employment contract

Using these documents, without a personnummer, I opened a bank account. Bank staff was very helpful. You will get an account opened, and Maestro debit card will be sent to your address in 3 days(followed by PIN mailer)

You will not have Internet banking. When you have your personnummer, go to the bank to update it. When you get your ID card, go to the bank and ask for internet banking and VISA debit card

/b
+
Provocative
post 8.Feb.2017, 09:09 PM
Post #41

Hello guys,

I moved to Sweden recently. I have my personnummer and I am waiting my Swedish ID card, it will come in 1 week. The problem is I don't have a regular work in Sweden, I am working online and getting paid in a different system.

In which branch, can I open a bank account without any work contract and regular salary? Is there anybody experienced it?

Thank you.
+
RedGreenBlue
post 21.Nov.2017, 10:56 PM
Post #42

Does Nordea provide a bank account free of charge with a regular income by any chance?
+
wondering_again
post 22.Nov.2017, 12:16 PM
Post #43

you need to pay 24 sek / month as card fee
+
iacchi
post 9.Jan.2018, 06:18 PM
Post #44

Hi, information on this thread is a bit old, so I thought I would ask for an update. I've just arrived in Sweden (Uppsala) and I'm planning to work here for at least two years. I need to open a bank account in the near future and I would like some suggestions.
It would be a great plus to have a bank account without annual fees (or fees kept to a minimum) and a debit card (or anything to use for day-to-day payments) would be enough. It would be nice to have a home banking website in English (even if somewhat reduced in functionalities compared to the Swedish one) as I don't know any Swedish yet. I'm still in the process of getting a personnummer, so being able to open the account without such identification (I do have a passport and a letter of employment and I'm from an EU country) would be nice (to get my first salary directly in crowns) but it's not a showstopper: I'd rather open a more suitable bank account when I have all the information required rather than open it early.

Thanks in advance to everyone who will be able to help me.
+

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: