The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Tax Advice for UK National/Swedish Citizen

Repatriating to Sweden

benmdavis
post 3.Jan.2018, 06:53 AM
Post #1

My wife (Swedish National) and I (UK National) have been married and lived overseas for nearly 10 years. Accordingly, I will soon be eligible to apply for Swedish Citizenship. We are considering moving back to Malmo and I would likely seek employment in either Skane or Copenhagen. I have a number of questions regarding taxation and would appreciate some guidance and/or the names of some good tax advisors.

- Tax advantages/disadvantages as a Swedish Citizen vs. UK national working in either Denmark or Sweden
- Tax advantages/disadvantages of working in Denmark and living in Sweden vs. working and living in Sweden

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Go to the top of the page
+
yet another brit
post 3.Jan.2018, 10:04 AM
Post #2

QUOTE (benmdavis @ 3.Jan.2018, 06:53 AM) *
- Tax advantages/disadvantages as a Swedish Citizen vs. UK national working in either Denmark or Sweden

None per se that I am aware of - Sweden will regard you as tax liable if you are resident for tax purposes (meaning more than 180 days per year to a first approximation of the rules), irrespective of citizenship. As far as I know, the tax treaty between the UK and SE would work the same in both cases, and will presumably continue to work post-Brexit.

I am not sure how you are eligible for Swedish citizenship though (and would be genuinely curious to know how you think you are) as I thought the five year residency requirement was mandatory.

QUOTE (benmdavis @ 3.Jan.2018, 06:53 AM) *
- Tax advantages/disadvantages of working in Denmark and living in Sweden vs. working and living in Sweden

Normally you pay tax where you work (under the Nordic tax agreement), but if you commute over the bridge then you can pay tax in Sweden. See here (ask your missus to translate it!). This is likely to be to your advantage (especially if you want to have a car, which are ferociously taxed in Denmark).

https://www.skatteverket.se/privat/skatter/...bc80003398.html
+
Cheeseroller
post 3.Jan.2018, 12:37 PM
Post #3

Malmo - this is one place I would never live. Have you not read about the arson attacks, grenade attacks, jewish community leaving, drug crime? At least look at Lund or Helsingborg.

Citizenship has nothing to do with taxes, it's an issue of which country you are tax resident. In Europe, if you live in one country and work in another, there are dual taxation agreements between countries - so usually you end up paying the highest of either tax system. However, as yet another brit stated, in this case there is also the Nordic agreement.

The only way to compare tax systems is to ask accountants in both countries to make calculations of your net salary for a stated gross salary. Issues like health insurance, unemployment taxes, pensions, tax for old age care etc need to be considered and may be separate. It's also important to find out what is needed to qualify for unemployment support, and how the pension systems work in both countries and what you could reasonably expect to receive.

However, in general, Denmark is considered to be a higher tax country and have higher living costs. But higher salaries may offset some of this.
+
benmdavis
post 3.Jan.2018, 12:58 PM
Post #4

Exceptions from period of residence requirement
•An emigrant, formerly a Swedish citizen, who returns to Sweden.
•A person who is employed on a Swedish ship and who is registered in Sweden.
•A person who is in the employ of a Swedish company abroad and who has previously lived in Sweden.
•A person who has been married to a Swedish citizen abroad for at least ten years and who does not live in their country of origin. The person must have strong ties with Sweden, e.g. through frequent visits or having a strong need to become a Swedish citizen.

https://www.migrationsverket.se/English/Pri...-in-Sweden.html
+
yet another brit
post 3.Jan.2018, 03:38 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (benmdavis @ 3.Jan.2018, 12:58 PM) *
Exceptions from period of residence requirement•An emigrant, formerly a Swedish citizen, who returns to Sweden.•A person who is employed on a Swedish ship and who is regis ... (show full quote)

Interesting; be curious to see how long it takes for them to adjudicate that one! Good luck though!
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: