The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Transfer from Swedish to UK bank account

Thefall
post 14.Feb.2006, 08:06 AM
Post #1

Can anybody recommend the best (cheapest) way to transfer money between Swedish and English bank accounts?
Go to the top of the page
+
Beth
post 14.Feb.2006, 08:17 AM
Post #2

an international wire transfer between a swedish bank and a UK bank. you pay a one-time fee (can't remember amount) --at least that's how it was with Handelsbanken.
+
Robert Earl
post 14.Feb.2006, 08:25 AM
Post #3

Cost me 200 sek or so for a one off,if it's monthly wages get a swedish acc.
+
Simonb
post 14.Feb.2006, 08:26 AM
Post #4

QUOTE (Thefall)
Can anybody recommend the best (cheapest) way to transfer money between Swedish and English bank accounts?

I have a Handelsbanken account in both countries and so transfer between the two is simple and cheap
( Handelsbanken have several branches in uk where its possible to have a cheque/savings account. they dont have high street branches as such but I believe you can use natwest when necc.)
+
*Howie*
post 14.Feb.2006, 08:40 AM
Post #5

Last time it cost me about 40/50 SEK, my Swedish bank took 20 and Lloyds took the rest. Best to use your UK ISBN and a bank transfer via internet banking as this makes for the cheapest and quickest method.
+
Moomin
post 14.Feb.2006, 09:37 AM
Post #6

Annoyingly, I can't seem to be able to do online transfers between Foreningssparbanken and Barclays. I asked my bank here for any suggestions, and the best they could come up with was to take out as much cash as I could in the UK and then walk to the bank with it. Need to find an easier way that doesn't involve walking through Notting Hill with pockets stuffed with pounds from the cash machine.
+
etuna
post 14.Feb.2006, 10:15 AM
Post #7

I was told this was a general policy by my UK bank to avoid money laundering/ fraud. It was easy enough to do a transfer at the actual branch however.
+
Eciym
post 14.Feb.2006, 10:21 AM
Post #8

get an IBAN number (International BANk number). It was created specifically for international transfers. You will need the IBAN, branch sort codes and a smaller percentage fee, though I forget exactly what the % is, it is cheaper than most other methods, as far as I know.

Detailed information;
http://www.ecbs.org/Download/LFL9204V4.pdf

That is all...
+
etuna
post 14.Feb.2006, 10:25 AM
Post #9

But you still won't be able to do it onlne right?
+
Eciym
post 14.Feb.2006, 10:34 AM
Post #10

dunno... never tried... I cant see why not, as long as the transfering bank make a page, there is nothing tricky about it.
+
*Wilding*
post 14.Feb.2006, 10:35 AM
Post #11

Nordea lets you do it online. You need the IBAN number and the SWIFT code of the bank to which you are transferring.
+
*Mark Boy*
post 14.Feb.2006, 10:35 AM
Post #12

When I was younger I worked in a bank and to transfer money it is simple to do, all you need to do is call your bank here in Sweden and then give the details of the bank account in the UK, if you are wanting to open an account in the UK for the cash to be transfered into you have to have a proper address in the UK and you need proof of this! Since the terriorism provention money laundering laws have come into force in the UK, banking has become quite an ordeal.!

GOOD LUCK!

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2003/20033075.htm
+
*Gully Gull*
post 14.Feb.2006, 10:38 AM
Post #13

Don't know about internet but someone told me that with an internet account it is very simple.

With my Handelsbanken/HSBC accounts I have transferred both ways, the last time was from Handelsbanken to HSBC. Never thought I would say this, but Handelsbanken were very helpful, helped to fill out a form which I think included the international branch no. of my UK branch as mentioned upthread (they looked it up). It cost just 50sek to transfer 22,000sek.
+
Beef
post 14.Feb.2006, 11:20 AM
Post #14

QUOTE (Moomin)
Annoyingly, I can't seem to be able to do online transfers between Foreningssparbanken and Barclays. I asked my bank here for any suggestions, and the best they could come up with was to take out as much cash as I could in the UK and then walk to the bank with it. Need to find an easier way that doesn't involve walking through Notting Hill with pockets stuffed with pounds from the cash machine.

Hi Moomin! It works online. Just done it. Your IBAN number should be on your barclays statement otherwise just call them and they'll let you konw in a second.
+
Straad
post 14.Feb.2006, 11:24 AM
Post #15

IBAN is your banks Sort Code... I use SEB to do my transfers, it takes about 4 days and is bloody expensive...
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: