The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
18 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »    Reply to this topic

The misery of trying to find apartment in sweden

But everybody seems happy.

robbie1985
post 25.Jul.2018, 08:28 AM
Post #16

QUOTE (pepitoAndalucia @ 24.Jul.2018, 10:08 PM) *
Of course, you will never hear too much about that subject because they need to keep it quiet otherwise nobody will move to sweden.

QUOTE (pepitoAndalucia @ 24.Jul.2018, 11:04 PM) *
But nobody will ever report what's actually happening in sweden. Hypocrisy.

Then posts 10 links to stories or articles about it.

I completely agree that the rental market here is a bad solution to the problem. In the UK where I came from, I could call an estate agent, arrange 5 viewings for this afternoon, and pick one to move into within a month. But here's the thing, I left that behind, this is the situation in Sweden, if it was a deal breaker I would go back, because I can. It's one bad thing amongst a few bad things about an otherwise amazing place to live. Work out your priorities bud, and then act on them. Don't spend your life whinging about shit you CAN change, change it.
Go to the top of the page
+
pepitoAndalucia
post 25.Jul.2018, 10:48 AM
Post #17

QUOTE (robbie1985 @ 25.Jul.2018, 09:28 AM) *
Then posts 10 links to stories or articles about it.I completely agree that the rental market here is a bad solution to the problem. In the UK where I came from, I could call ... (show full quote)

Do you really think I haven't been trying to find a solution to that problem?. Seriously.

The solution is not as simple.

If you don't have the money to buy then things can be really tricky to survive in the swedish housing system.

If not a buyer then... You either queue or live in second hand.

I cannot change anything other than planning to move to another country.

When I repeat over and over that the swedish housing system is trap, it's because it's a trap, specially if you can't afford to buy.

There aren't too many options available.
- Queue for the first hand?.
- Second hand rental?.
- What else?.

I have tried to get in contact with the housing companies and they basically tell me to queue.
I recently talked with a swede who told me he sent a email to a housing company and he got the first hand contract without having to queue!!!. So clearly there is a double standard in sweden.

Second hand is short term rentals so the option in this case is to live like a nomad 6 months in one place and 6 months in another place hoping that the owner extends the contract to 1 year.

So this is a very well organized scheme.

Believe me I try every day to find a solution but it's only difficulties. Housing is key and they give it as a premium services in sweden and the reason is very obvious.
+
intrepidfox
post 25.Jul.2018, 12:39 PM
Post #18

QUOTE (pepitoAndalucia @ 25.Jul.2018, 10:48 AM) *
Do you really think I haven't been trying to find a solution to that problem?. Seriously.The solution is not as simple. If you don't have the money to buy then things ... (show full quote)

The renting system is difficult here. I know many Swedes that are on the waiting list including my step daughter (she lives with us). Many young adults have to live with their parents as they cannot rent. It´s not a Swede gets a flat, the foreigner doesn´t. Basically the stystem stinks
+
pepitoAndalucia
post 25.Jul.2018, 05:33 PM
Post #19

QUOTE (intrepidfox @ 25.Jul.2018, 01:39 PM) *
The renting system is difficult here. I know many Swedes that are on the waiting list including my step daughter (she lives with us). Many young adults have to live with their ... (show full quote)

I have a friend he is half swede half middle eastern, He still lives with his parents for the same reason. He has been in the queue for 6 years and nothing.

Then second hand is even worse. 6 months here, and then another 6 months in another place.

And I get the feeling it's getting worse. I hear people offering 18000sek for a second hand flat because they cannot find anything and are willing to pay any price.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 25.Jul.2018, 05:37 PM
Post #20

How many flats have you lived in???
+
Apache001
post 25.Jul.2018, 06:46 PM
Post #21

A population of just 10m people and they have this crazy housing problem and it’s nationwide...smh
+
Svedallas
post 25.Jul.2018, 07:12 PM
Post #22

QUOTE (pepitoAndalucia @ 24.Jul.2018, 11:21 PM) *
Because the job was in sweden. That's the only reason.We never thought it was this hard to find apartment let alone we had no idea about the second hand market. Also let&# ... (show full quote)

You're an idiot. That's why no-one will rent to you.
+
Apache001
post 25.Jul.2018, 07:17 PM
Post #23

@Svedallas then it means we have many idiots in Sweden who nobody wants to rent out to.
Next time learn to respond with your senses intact.
+
intrepidfox
post 25.Jul.2018, 07:28 PM
Post #24

QUOTE (Apache001 @ 25.Jul.2018, 06:46 PM) *
A population of just 10m people and they have this crazy housing problem and it’s nationwide...smh

it´s not nationwide, only the big towns. If you want to commute everyday, then there are plenty of places to live
+
Svedallas
post 25.Jul.2018, 07:29 PM
Post #25

QUOTE (Apache001 @ 25.Jul.2018, 08:17 PM) *
@Svedallas then it means we have many idiots in Sweden who nobody wants to rent out to.. Next time learn to respond with your senses intact.

No. This idiot is like Wallace.

Blaming an entire country for their problems.
There is a difference. This is a bashing idiot who hates sweden but wants an apartment, makes no sense.

I am irritated by the stupidity.
No-one is holding them with a gun to the head to stay.

Simply, leave.
+
Apache001
post 25.Jul.2018, 07:37 PM
Post #26

The housing queue and problem is nationwide in case anyone is wondering.
I’ve traveled a lot within Sweden and even the smallest villages of 30k people stay on queue for minimum of 3yrs.
+
pepitoAndalucia
post 25.Jul.2018, 07:51 PM
Post #27

QUOTE (Svedallas @ 25.Jul.2018, 08:12 PM) *
You're an idiot. That's why no-one will rent to you.

5 star comment. With that logic no wonder why housing is such misery in this country.

I wonder where you left off the other side of your brain?.

European Commission urges Sweden to tackle housing crisis
https://www.thelocal.se/20170523/european-c...-housing-crisis

Inside Sweden's housing crisis: when renovation means eviction
https://www.thelocal.se/20170209/inside-swe...-means-eviction

How Sweden's housing crisis is fuelling homelessness
https://www.thelocal.se/20171209/how-sweden...ng-homelessness

Housing crisis forces record number of young Swedes to live at home: report
https://www.thelocal.se/20170518/housing-cr...-at-home-report

How Sweden's housing crisis is impacting domestic violence victims
https://www.thelocal.se/20170405/how-sweden...iolence-victims

Housing crisis limiting Sweden's growth
https://www.thelocal.se/20141125/housing-cr...rowth-prospects
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 25.Jul.2018, 07:55 PM
Post #28

Could it be a fiendish plot to stifle immigration??? unsure.gif
+
Cheeseroller
post 25.Jul.2018, 07:57 PM
Post #29

No, as others have said, it also affects Swedes. Just less so, because Swedes don't want to rent to immigrants. And frankly, after my experience of renting to a highly educated Syrian woman who worked for the WHO, with two teenagers, neither would I. Unless you want your bathroom modified behind your back, and have to hire professional cleaners.
+
pepitoAndalucia
post 25.Jul.2018, 07:59 PM
Post #30

QUOTE (intrepidfox @ 25.Jul.2018, 08:28 PM) *
it´s not nationwide, only the big towns. If you want to commute everyday, then there are plenty of places to live

It's nationwide, it's everywhere. I recently met a guy who lived in a small town of just 40000 people and he told me the queues there are 5 years!!!.

As I have been saying the media, the system is hiding the problem, they don't want to say how big it is.

I look outside the cities even 3 hours away and there is NOTHING.

There is a list of towns and I check them all, like 25 of more and there is nothing available!!!. Sometimes only 1 or two apartments in the most isolated towns!!.

I am telling you the problem is worse than being told.
+

18 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: