The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
This discussion forum closed permanently on 25th February 2021.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Microsoft Office 2007

Does anyone understand it?

Essingen
post 3.Feb.2010, 04:29 PM
Post #1

OK...be warned...this is a rant.

I've recently started my own company and want to buy a legal copy of this. It seems pretty near impossible to understand what one should buy. My requirements are simple...to be able to write and spell check in both English and Swedish. My issues are the following:

1. The "home" and "Student" version is only licensed for non-commercial use. Fair enough. The "Small Business" version seems appropriate, but what the hell is the full "professional" version. Is this for businesses or individuals?

2. My new PC came with a free trial version...but of the "home" and "student" version so this isn't legally OK. They are all the same but apparantly I can't just buy a business license and install it. I must remove the software and install a new version. In addition I must be careful not to just buy the license key which frequently comes without any software. And of the course the English versions here in Sweden cost a packet. Maybe I could install a test version on line?

3. As for the spell checking and so forth. I believe (though am not 100%) that there have been changes and that the newer Office 2007 only contains language support for one language whereas the earlier versions contained multi language support. Does anyone know if this is correct?
Go to the top of the page
+
Rick Methven
post 3.Feb.2010, 04:45 PM
Post #2

Unless you want access all the extra business contacts crap etc that comes in the prof version or even the small business version use the cheaper home version.

The labels Home. Student Small business, professional has got absolutely sweet FA to do with who can use it. it is just a marketing tool. Buy a home users licence in your name and then charge it to your company.

I have both the home and the professional versions installed - I need the pro version for some of my work. For everyday use of word etc the home version is fine
+
Nemesis
post 3.Feb.2010, 04:48 PM
Post #3

This is the reference selection I would recommend for 2007.

Office 2007 All-in-one Desk Reference for Dummies (Paperback)
by Peter Weverka (Author)
Paperback: 816 pages
Publisher: John Wiley & Sons (10 Jan 2007)
Language English
ISBN-10: 0471782793
ISBN-13: 978-0471782797

Office 2007 Library: Excel 2007 Bible, Access 2007 Bible, PowerPoint 2007 Bible, Word 2007 Bible (Paperback)
by John Walkenbach (Author), Faithe Wempen (Author), Herb Tyson (Author), Cary N. Prague (Author), Michael R. Irwin (Author), Jennifer Reardon (Author), Michael R. Groh (Author), Joseph C. Stockman (Author), Gavin Powell (Author)
Paperback: 4200 pages
Publisher: John Wiley & Sons; Pap/Cdr edition (20 April 2007)
Language English
ISBN-10: 0470169931
ISBN-13: 978-0470169933

Office 2007 Bible (Paperback)
by John Walkenbach (Author), Herb Tyson (Author), Faithe Wempen (Author), Cary N. Prague (Author), Michael R. Groh (Author), Peter G. Aitken (Author), Michael R. Irwin (Author), Gavin Powell (Author), Lisa A. Bucki (Author)
Paperback: 1224 pages
Publisher: John Wiley & Sons (1 Jun 2007)
Language English
ISBN-10: 0470046910
ISBN-13: 978-0470046913

As for what version. The full professional version is best if in Business.
+
Essingen
post 3.Feb.2010, 04:49 PM
Post #4

The labels Home. Student Small business, professional has got absolutely sweet FA to do with who can use it. it is just a marketing tool.

The "home " version is licensed for "non-commercial use".
+
byke
post 3.Feb.2010, 05:16 PM
Post #5

Get a copy of "Open Office".
Its free and just the same without licensing issues.
+
Rick Methven
post 3.Feb.2010, 06:28 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (Essingen @ 3.Feb.2010, 04:49 PM) *
The "home " version is licensed for "non-commercial use".

This is so much bullshit. All it means is that it is not sold to companies, because they can screw a higher price from a company than an individual.

Microsoft can not stop you using any piece of software that you have bought and hold a legal license for in any way that you choose.

If you take the non-commercial use literally. I would mean that if you have the home version of Office on your home PC that you can not use it to write a letter to a business laugh.gif

It would also mean that if you have a personal laptop with Office home you could not take it to your companies office!

Microsoft are the biggest money grabbing crooks around and make obscure statements regarding licencing that are either illegal or unenforceable in most of Europe.

If all you want it for is word processing, I would follow Bykes advice and get open office. It is good and FREE.

The only reason that I use Microsoft Office is that I have developed some systems for clients who use MS Office Pro and therefore I am stuck with it. Open office is actually a better product and is compatible and can read anything done in MS Office
+
Rick Methven
post 3.Feb.2010, 06:39 PM
Post #7

OpenOffice.org 3 is the leading open-source office software suite for word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, graphics, databases and more. It is available in many languages and works on all common computers. It stores all your data in an international open standard format and can also read and write files from other common office software packages. It can be downloaded and used completely free of charge for any purpose.

here is the download link

http://download.openoffice.org/other.html#en-US

You can even have a chinese version
+
Essingen
post 3.Feb.2010, 09:18 PM
Post #8

It stores all your data in an international open standard format and can also read and write files from other common office software packages.

So I could use it and then save files so that they could be read by Microsoft office users?
+
byke
post 3.Feb.2010, 09:20 PM
Post #9

yes
+
byke
post 3.Feb.2010, 09:21 PM
Post #10

Infact Open office looks almost identical etc ...
Try it and you will see.

And best of all its 100% free
+
Essingen
post 3.Feb.2010, 09:27 PM
Post #11

Thanks. I am downloading it now.
+
Nemesis
post 3.Feb.2010, 09:47 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (byke @ 3.Feb.2010, 09:21 PM) *
Infact Open office looks almost identical etc ... . Try it and you will see.. And best of all its 100% free

Actually it has more or less the same functionality as office 2007 corporate and can save files in all office formats if needed.

It can save a lot of money.
+
Essingen
post 3.Feb.2010, 10:00 PM
Post #13

Ok well thanks guys for the tip. I have downloaded and installed it and I must say that it looks brilliant. I will certainly be happy to dump Microsoft Office for this.

Are there any pitfalls with it that I should be aware of?
+
David S
post 4.Feb.2010, 01:06 AM
Post #14

If Open Office doesn't suffice then another option is to try out Office 2010. It's in free beta at the moment and will work until October. I've had no significant problems with it.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/2010/en/do...us/default.aspx
+
DidiE
post 4.Feb.2010, 07:50 AM
Post #15

I tried Open Office- the only pitfall I found is that the powerpoints from MS do NOT transfer very well to OO. It was a real hassle for me, but if you don't use the powerpoint apps much, it won't matter.
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: