The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Need to get vaccination administered

Cervical cancer vaccination

pg9241
post 17.May.2017, 08:32 AM
Post #1

Hello everyone, I am moving to Helsingborg from India next month. I recently started my cervical cancer vaccination which is supposed to be taken in three doses. I've already taken the first shot and the next two are to be taken in June and October end respectively. My doctor has advised that I carry the vile and the syringe and get it administered by a nurse/professional wherever I go. Can anyone guide me in terms of what I can do. It's a simple injection and I will be carrying my prescription.
Go to the top of the page
+
mjennin2
post 17.May.2017, 12:01 PM
Post #2

Whilst I can't help answer your question, I thought it would be important to note that this isn't a cancer vaccination - it's a series of shots designed to help reduce risk of contracting 5 to 9 of over 200 strains of the human papilloma virus ("HPV") depending on the vaccine you get. It's usually sold under the name Gardasil or Cervarix.

But it doesn't 100% protect you (especially since virus strains mutate every year) and it doesn't eliminate cervical cancer caused by other natural factors. So, as always, just note that it's important to still get annual exams and to practice safe sex.

/end PSA smile.gif
+
ChocOwl
post 17.May.2017, 01:51 PM
Post #3

Perhaps a vaccination clinic would be happy to administer this for you... or maybe they would prefer that you get a prescription in Sweden and buy the vaccine here.
I don't know any clinics to recommend but here are two I found by googling:
http://vidavarldensvaccin.se/
http://www.hbgvaccinationsbyra.se/#!/home/
I'm sure it's fine to contact them in English.
+
yet another brit
post 19.May.2017, 06:06 AM
Post #4

Any of the many vaccine companies will likely be able to provide you with the third shot - just ask. Alternatively, the MVC (midwife service) may be able to do it.

It is true that there are many HPV strains, and that the vaccine doesn't cover them all. However, it covers the most common ones that cause cervical cancer (and genital warts), so the effective coverage is large, though not total. But, if enough people are vaccinated (over the "herd immunity" level) then those strains of the virus are no longer present in the population, which is where you want to be.

It seems to really work too - the levels of cervical cancer in young women have dropped enormously.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: