The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »    Reply to this topic

Eating Animals- Book by Jonathan Foer

Good Book

AjayK
post 14.Nov.2009, 06:14 PM
Post #1

Am presently reading a book by JONATHAN FOER titled "EATING ANIMALS".

Hope everybody would read this book.

Tells about the meat industry, etc.
Go to the top of the page
+
smokin joe
post 14.Nov.2009, 06:16 PM
Post #2

i'm a stones throw from being vegan...have been for nearly 30 years now.
meat is mega cruel
+
futureishere
post 15.Nov.2009, 02:12 PM
Post #3

Me too. But coming from a place where restaurants cannot hope to make profits if they don't have "pure vegetarian" sign boards, it came easy to me. :-)
+
craicen
post 15.Nov.2009, 02:58 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (smokin joe @ 14.Nov.2009, 06:16 PM) *
i'm a stones throw from being vegan...have been for nearly 30 years now.. meat is mega cruel

Killing and eating plants is less cruel? How about when a lion eats its prey alive? Maybe should kill all the predators on earth so we can pretend like life is a disney movie. Life is cruel and man is a predator.

Besides not eating meat is bad for you especially when combined with a northern latitude. You should eat what your ancestors ate. Certainly the meat industry should be better regulated for higher standards of animal care but that is another issue.

Enjoy life. Don't sit around agonizing about the morality of this that and the other. That is Puritainism.

I like the way the Tao says it,
"The best life is a life well lived."
+
Nicklouse
post 15.Nov.2009, 05:22 PM
Post #5

I like a good cook book.
+
Princess P
post 15.Nov.2009, 06:31 PM
Post #6

I feel a bit guilty reading this thread. What with the smells of a lovely beef joint roasting in the oven.

Not.
+
Plowbridge
post 15.Nov.2009, 06:38 PM
Post #7

Attached ImageAttached Image
+
futureishere
post 15.Nov.2009, 07:13 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (craicen @ 15.Nov.2009, 02:58 PM) *
Besides not eating meat is bad for you especially when combined with a northern latitude.

How come?

*genuine question*
+
jack sprat
post 15.Nov.2009, 08:30 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (futureishere @ 15.Nov.2009, 07:13 PM) *
How come?. *genuine question*

Maybe if you tried surviving up in the Arctic on a diet of rabbit food rather than meat you would soon find the answer.
Even the more nutritious cereals often lack the right amino acids neccessary to provide sufficient protein.

Just enjoyed a giant T-bone that was hanging over both sides of the plate when I started.
Proper grub!
+
kaze2
post 15.Nov.2009, 08:39 PM
Post #10

Living in Sweden has already made me sort of a vegetarian. Meat is so expensive I can only have it every now and then.

And as said yeah, a vegetarian diet is unhealthy, my sister who is a veggie back in the UK needs to take all sorts of extra vitamins to make up for her deficient diet.
+
kindhearted
post 15.Nov.2009, 09:41 PM
Post #11

There is a simple principle that is at least 2800 years old and still practised today by a small minority:

'Every living thing has a desire to live. No living thing wishes to die. One should take the utmost care not to hurt other living things.'

To live one has to eat. Plants have only one sense - that of touch - and therefore feel the least pain, so yes it is much less cruel to eat plants than to eat animals with two or more senses. But even here, care is taken to minimise the taking of life. Root vegetables are avoided because they are full of micro-organisms. Green fruits and vegetables are avoided on certain dates when only dry grains and beans are eaten. And then there are days where food is avoided altogether by fasting.

This strict vegetarianism is practised for the twin purposes of respect for all life and one's own spiritual advancement towards the ultimate goal.

During recent years many people in the west have become vegetarians and vegans because they have realised the cruelty in eating meat, and I have the greatest respect for them.

It is becoming increasingly clear that hunger, poverty, de-forestation and the consequent droughts, not to mention many medical problems are all directly related to meat production and consumption.

It is not rocket science that 'meat is mega cruel' but as expected there are already comments on the lines of: "Biologically I'm an animal, in nature animals eat animals, I eat animals, why is this a problem?" So humans have not evolved that much from animals after all and still think like animals?

We are not talking about the relatively few people who live in the Arctic who have hardly evolved in their way of life for the last 10000 years or more. In Stockholm and the rest of Sweden there are fruits, vegetables, rice etc. from all over the world at all times. And people live and work in well heated buildings and travel in well heated vehicles. Thats hardly Arctic conditions. Its not Arctic conditions that determine diet - people living in the hot tropics are meat eaters too.

Only those whose mind and heart have evolved sufficiently do not have a problem being vegetarian or vegan wherever they live. Their will power is the most important factor. It is not possible to force anyone to become vegetarian. And those who don't eat meat because they can't afford it are not vegetarian.

If meat eaters get all their vitamins and amino acids from their diet, how come that the health services in heavy meat eating western nations cannot cope with the medical treatment demands of these people with 'healthy' diets?
+
mazz
post 15.Nov.2009, 09:46 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (AjayK @ 14.Nov.2009, 06:14 PM) *
Am presently reading a book by JONATHAN FOER titled "EATING ANIMALS".. Hope everybody would read this book.. Tells about the meat industry, etc.

did EHO training in the UK saw everything from farm to slaughter and still eat it.
+
futureishere
post 15.Nov.2009, 09:47 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (jack sprat @ 15.Nov.2009, 08:30 PM) *
Even the more nutritious cereals often lack the right amino acids neccessary to provide sufficient protein.

QUOTE (kaze2 @ 15.Nov.2009, 08:39 PM) *
And as said yeah, a vegetarian diet is unhealthy, my sister who is a veggie back in the UK needs to take all sorts of extra vitamins to make up for her deficient diet.

That doesn't sound right. I do eat meat here in Sweden more frequently (mostly fish...once in a week or two), but back home, my meat eating frequency went down to once in six months or something. But I (or countless other vegetarians around) never had any vitamin or protein deficiency problem. Shouldn't things like soy, lentils, nuts and beans more than make up for animal proteins?

Ofcourse when I say vegetarian, I mean lacto-vegetarian.
+
jack sprat
post 15.Nov.2009, 09:56 PM
Post #14

Some farm animals can and do enjoy a more idyllic stress free life than many humans.
Also if they are dispatched instantly and properly they suffer much less pain than humans.
Much improvement has been made regarding animal welfare in recent years in the West, but I would also accept that there is still much to do.
With regard to the reference to unhealthy diets,I would say that almost anything in excess can be bad for you.
The main problem is junk food such as burgers, that contain a lot of animal fat and other rubbish.
However good quality lean meat provides the basis for an excellent nutritious and healthy diet.
+
craicen
post 15.Nov.2009, 10:16 PM
Post #15

Save the planet: Kill yourself.

Come one folks. Just live. Those folks in africa aren't starving because cattle are grazing on the hills of old Eire.
+

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: