The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

So Butternut Squash

Where to find them?

ShaneW
post 3.Feb.2010, 12:00 PM
Post #1

Does anyone know where to get hold of them in Stockholm?

I guess I can substitute them with Sweet Potatoes but would be nice to have the real thing...

Thanks

S
Go to the top of the page
+
JulesA
post 3.Feb.2010, 12:13 PM
Post #2

So strange not to find them everywhere right?? I am a butternut squash addict!! Always find them at the Ostermalm Saluhall and the food market underneath the Concert House in the main market square. I've no idea why they are so hard to find at local ICA's etc, tho the overall quality at those stores is of such stale veg anyways, I actually found a section of pumpkin at Vi Superstore Lidingo (by the bridge) on Monday, I'm in Pumpkin heaven!!! Maybe we should be asking our lcoal stores to stock them.,...tho I'm so bored of scavenging for basics like this I'm craving Waitrose and my farmers market back home ...
+
swozzie
post 3.Feb.2010, 12:20 PM
Post #3

I wish I could help but as I'm a butternut afficionado also. I find them over here on the west coast in wholesale/grossist places such as Snabbgross or Citygross.

good luck in getting a supply !
+
ShaneW
post 3.Feb.2010, 01:02 PM
Post #4

Thanks both.

I went to the hallarna at Östermalm and bought some.

Bloody expensive as well!

I actually bought an extra one as our HR Manager had never heard of one!
+
JulesA
post 3.Feb.2010, 01:07 PM
Post #5

You serious!!!! I thought they were a staple vegetable!!! How funny...I think without being mean Swedish food really does seem stuck in time...if you want to share any more foodie thoughts let me know, I'm a real foodie fan and as I'm not working at the mo (husbands job here) I am full time cooking when I don't lose the will to schlep into town for a basic ingredient...enjoy yours!!!
+
DidiE
post 3.Feb.2010, 01:14 PM
Post #6

Hej, Jules and all
My friend is the world's best cook, and she's coming for dinner on Saturday. I am no amateur, either, and we usually cook to impress each other, but I have no imagination this week. What menu ideas can you suggest?
+
Nicklouse
post 3.Feb.2010, 01:14 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (JulesA @ 3.Feb.2010, 01:07 PM) *
You serious!!!! I thought they were a staple vegetable!!!

I would not know what one was if I was looking at it.

I guess it just is not a European "stape".
+
swozzie
post 3.Feb.2010, 01:16 PM
Post #8

Glad you found them Shane. Price depends on which time of year you buy them - how far they have to travel to get here etc etc. They are often around 15 kronor a kilo over here in the "season" I always stock up big as they keep a very long time refrigerated

Jules- they are not a staple in Sweden as I doubt they would grow here even in the summer. I come from the sub tropics where they grow like weeds.*drool* but they don't like cool temps.
+
swozzie
post 3.Feb.2010, 01:26 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (DidiE @ 3.Feb.2010, 01:14 PM) *
Hej, Jules and allMy friend is the world's best cook, and she's coming for dinner on Saturday. I am no amateur, either, and we usually cook to impress each other, but ... (show full quote)

Oh I have to jump in here and suggest for anyone who hasn't had it - berenjenas al la miel . or eggplant/aubergine with honey.

Its a starter dish and basically is aubergine in a tempura batter (fried). ( I peel and blanche the aubergine first)

Drizzle over the honey which has been rendered down to a thick syrup with equal parts balsamic vinegar.

It is a delicacy of Granada and is most enjoyable with a fresh white wine sitting in a cafe in the Albaicin looking across to the Alhambra (which is where I first tried it) but hey - looking out on a snowy landscape could work just as well.
+
Puffin
post 3.Feb.2010, 01:35 PM
Post #10

Glad you found them - they have become much more widely available

I have bought them in both Hemköp and Ica Maxi
+
JulesA
post 3.Feb.2010, 02:00 PM
Post #11

DidiE, what lines are you thinking along? Fish/meat/rustic/showoff? I always have a good flap before a dinner party and the ideas go straight out my head. If you want to run anything by me let me know (lip smacking going on here), very rare I get a meal cooked for me so I can have a virtual treat haha. I'm quite strong on the meat and rustic side, let me knwo what ya' thinking!!!
+
DidiE
post 3.Feb.2010, 02:04 PM
Post #12

I got bubkis right now- there are no ideas except the eggplant with honey, which sounds really good. Ummm- hmmmm. I have never really tried anything middle easternish. Any ideas?
+
JulesA
post 3.Feb.2010, 02:09 PM
Post #13

I wouldn't normally follow a recipe from this show...but the guests seriously raved about this tagine...I'm going to try it too...without mentioning the fact there are dates in it to my husband...Come Dine With Me...new series is Brilliant!!!!!!

http://www.channel4.com/food/recipes/occas...recipe_p_1.html
+
DidiE
post 3.Feb.2010, 02:16 PM
Post #14

awesome
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: