The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

golden syrup where?

best substitute or where to buy?

sparkles2
post 12.Sep.2010, 06:40 AM
Post #1

Have the unfortunate task of cooking something 'Australian', have settled on Anzac biscuits. Any suggestions for golden syrup substitutes or stockists?

Thanks!
Go to the top of the page
+
Puffin
post 12.Sep.2010, 06:49 AM
Post #2

Ljus bröd sirap (light bread sirap) - available in plastic bottles in the baking department of all supermarkets
+
richardbw
post 12.Sep.2010, 06:54 AM
Post #3

Ljus bröd sirap (light bread sirap) - available in plastic bottles in the baking department of all supermarkets

Ditto, I have a squeezey bottle of Ljus Sirap made by DanSukker, it makes a wonderful treacle pudding!
+
sparkles2
post 12.Sep.2010, 06:58 AM
Post #4

wow, thanks so much for the speedy replies!
+
Puffin
post 12.Sep.2010, 07:29 AM
Post #5

You can get several types of bread syrup - I use the dark one instead of Black Treacle in my Christmas Cake -

I like the squeezy bottles as well - I always seemed to lose half my tin of Tate & Lyle in the UK stuck on spoons and the table etc biggrin.gif
+
byke
post 12.Sep.2010, 07:39 AM
Post #6

The English shop in Stockholm has real golden syrup which is generally sweater.
+
sparkles2
post 12.Sep.2010, 08:35 AM
Post #7

While we're at the random baking ingredients, what about condensed milk?

Thank you!
+
byke
post 12.Sep.2010, 08:43 AM
Post #8

English shop again.

TBH - there are alternatives to golden syrup but they dont always give the desired results ... especially in regards to sweet breads and biscuits. I couldnt imagine getting the desired results of say a ginger snap from baking syrup ... yes it works, but the texture and taste wouldn't be what I was expecting.
+
Lilje
post 12.Sep.2010, 08:51 AM
Post #9

RE condensed milk. I have found this in most ICAs / Coops. 99% of the time it is in the foreign foods aisle.
+
Puffin
post 12.Sep.2010, 10:01 AM
Post #10

Yep most supermarkets sell condensed and evaporated milk - either in the baking section or under international foods
+
sparkles2
post 13.Sep.2010, 06:22 AM
Post #11

and... cream of tartar? (i know I can substitute lemon juice, but would prefer cream of tartar if possible)
+
SarahRF
post 13.Sep.2010, 08:00 AM
Post #12

Taylor and Jones have 2-3 types of golden syrup, the name escapes me now but one of them is in the green and gold can. They're in Stockholm though, don't know if you are.

About the cream of tartar, no idea if this helps but Wikipedia says this is the swedish name for it:
http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaliumv%C3%A4tetartrat

Good luck with your baking!
+
72Flutterby
post 13.Sep.2010, 08:02 AM
Post #13

Hi,
I am a Kiwi and of course we make them too (ANZAC-Australia New Zealand Army Corp)
This is the recipe I use from Edmonds Cook Book.
It does not have Tartaric acid (cream of tartar) it has bicarbonate soda (baking soda)
Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius
250 grams Flour 200 grams butter
300 grams Sugar 2 tablespoons golden syrup
2 cups Coconut 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
2 cups Rolled Oats 4 tablespoons boiling water

Mix together flour, sugar, coconut and oats in large bowl. Melt butter and golden syrup seperately. Dissolve baking soda in boiling water and add to butter and syrup. Make a hole in middle of dry ingredients and pour in liquid. Mix well. Place in spoonfuls on greased tray. Bake for 15-20 minutes. (makes a large batch)
Hope this helps :-)
+
sparkles2
post 13.Sep.2010, 11:30 AM
Post #14

thanks for the recipe! the cream of tartar is for pavlova (don't kill me for saying it's aussie!)
+
soultraveler3
post 14.Sep.2010, 03:02 AM
Post #15

You can buy cream of tartar at the pharmacy here, it's called vinsten. You can also substitute lemon juice or vinegar for cream of tartar in most recipes.

I also have a syrup question. In the states we have stuff called corn syrup, it's available in light and dark. The light one is used to make different cookies and candies and the dark one is used mostly when making gingerbread or molasses cookies. Does anyone know if you can get that here? Thanks! smile.gif
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: