The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
This discussion forum closed permanently on 25th February 2021.
9 Pages V   1 2 3 > »    Reply to this topic

What do the Swedish Gaza activists hope to achieve?

The Local
post 3.Jun.2010, 02:50 PM
Post #1

The Ship to Gaza incident was, to say the least, badly handled by Israel. The blockade of Gaza is wrong. But Swedish activists need to ask themselves tough questions about the consequences of their actions, says Stockholm-based Israeli journalist David Stavrou.

As Swedish activists return from Israel and stride towards the waiting microphones and television cameras, it's important to take a look behind the events which took place off Gaza and perhaps revaluate the way Swedish activists engage in one of the most complicated regions on earth.  

It's worth saying at the very outset that the nine people who died on the Mavi Marmara didn't deserve to die. This is true whether they acted violently or peacefully, whether they were terrorist sympathizers or not, whether one agrees with their politics or not. The whole affair was handled badly by Israel, to say the least, and there are many questions about the legality and reasonableness of Israel's actions.

1199 words remaining. Click to read the full article.
Go to the top of the page
+
pjtaipale
post 3.Jun.2010, 03:07 PM
Post #2

An intelligent article. Applause.
+
Guy with a big whang
post 3.Jun.2010, 03:44 PM
Post #3

Really really good article, this goes into my bookmark folder, thank you.
+
comfortably_numb
post 3.Jun.2010, 04:51 PM
Post #4

Good article, but I think it failed to mention that Hamas (although it acts violently) has agreed to accept resolution proposed from the UN General Assembly on a 2 state settlement based on borders from the pre-1967 borders.
This UN resolution which is voted on by 168 nations every year comes to more or less the same vote results each time: 161 in favor of the above resolution, and 7 against.
Who is against?
-Israel
-United States
-Marshal Islands (small clutter of islands in the pacific)... See More
-Micronesia (small clutter of islands in the pacific)
-Nauru (small island in the pacific)
-Palau (small island in the pacific)
-Panama
Its not hard to see that its almost unanimous. Israel and US, continuously vote against the rest of the world in a resolution which is not only accepted by the rest of the international community but a "terrorist" party, Hamas.
Here is the UN website on the outcome of this meeting, and the voting results as I mentioned above:
http://www.un.org/News/Press/docs/2009/ga10896.doc.htm
+
eddie UK
post 3.Jun.2010, 04:57 PM
Post #5

Mr Floyd, unfortunately, you are incorrect - Hamas has never accepted the righ tof a Jewish Israel to exist.
+
comfortably_numb
post 3.Jun.2010, 05:11 PM
Post #6

Eddie, here is a news item I pulled up by a simple google search from Haaretz.com, wherein Hamas leader accepts the resolution:
http://www.haaretz.com/news/haniyeh-hamas-...orders-1.256915
+
dmj123
post 3.Jun.2010, 05:13 PM
Post #7

The Blockade is less wrong than the palestinians shelling and rocketing civilians. If the attacks stopped the blockade would not be needed. If the only aim is to deliver humanitarian aid then they could be sent freely through either the UN, Egypt or Isreali ports. This was planned from the onset by the turkish organizers to cause just such a clash. I have served on ships and hatchets, truchens, bulletproof vests and wieghted clubs are not part of the normal equipment. What would Swedes reaction be if Finns or Norwegians started lobbing rocket and mortors over the border because they felt that 40% of stockholm belonged to them? How about if we added suicide bombers at weddings and buses? People in general need to look beyound the PR and see what the real issue is here. The Palestinians and Arabs say they will accept a two state solution, but they want 90% of what is now isreal as their "half"
+
flintis
post 3.Jun.2010, 05:19 PM
Post #8

At last a sensible article, congratulations extrenely well written, unfortunately I fear most of the smug faces on the above photgraph don't get the picture.
+
eddie UK
post 3.Jun.2010, 05:31 PM
Post #9

A message from Mr Floyd to Mrs Floyd:
Yes, they will accept the temporary Palestinian State, (they already have kicked Israeli occupation and settlements out of Gaza), until they can kick the smaller Israel out of the rest of Palestine.
I refer you to the Hamas Charter:
http://middleeast.about.com/od/palestinepa...me080106b_2.htm
especially Part III - Strategies and Methods
Article Eleven: The Strategy of Hamas: Palestine is an Islamic Waqf The Islamic Resistance Movement believes that the land of Palestine has been an Islamic Waqf throughout the generations and until the Day of Resurrection, no one can renounce it or part of it, or abandon it or part of it.
In fact , even the moderate Fatah has the same long term strategy - they just didnt translate their charter into English 100%.
The Jews paid the price once in Europe, for appeasement (thanks UK and France), they then made the slogan "never again". I believe this survivor mentality explains the Israeli military ethos.

In any case, parts of Sweden are now become under the Caliphate - eg malmo, where the muslim majority has driven out the Jewish minority.
+
alistairwhitman
post 3.Jun.2010, 06:54 PM
Post #10

Hamas accepts the borders but not the right for Israel as a state to exist.
These Swedes though well intentioned I am sure, seem typically naive and have allied their cause with that of radicals.
This flotilla had 6 ships in it. All where boarded by the IDF, violence occurred only one ship. Seems a bit odd doesn't it?
+
orwellian
post 3.Jun.2010, 07:08 PM
Post #11

"Who actually profited from what happened? Well, most analysts agree that the biggest beneficiaries are the radical Islamists of the Middle East, notably Hamas, the terrorist organization which currently rules Gaza."
Wrong. Hamas benefits from the blockade. End the blockade and and Hamas will have less support. Of course Israel does not want this because then it's harder for them to justify the occupation.
"...they must be extremely naïve if they call the flotilla a success"
Israel did exactly what they wanted. Now the world see what oppressors they are. This has to be one of the worst failures in Israeli history.
If that is not success I don't know what is.
+
eddie UK
post 3.Jun.2010, 07:17 PM
Post #12

George Orwell - i can agree with some of your points - but it's not as simple as Hamas benefitting or losing from the blockade being on/off
There is underlying hostility to Israel, both amongst left wing west, and Islamist nations.
When hamas blows up civilian buses or cafes in Israel, the same left wing defend hamas, as do the Islamists. They blame Israel for that (liek blaming the Jews for the nazi holocaust).
But then again, isn't that what muslim thugs say when they rape swedish women, they blame them for beign sexy.
+
calebian22
post 3.Jun.2010, 07:37 PM
Post #13

Indeed a well written article!
+
skyscraper
post 3.Jun.2010, 07:49 PM
Post #14

this is a completely biased article supporting Zionist regime.Israel is an illegitimate state on the face of the earth.on one hand this article says the attack was not fair but on the hand same old stereo type comments about Muslims. if Israel won't attack on fortila ship then it would have never happened and there was no point if hamas benefiting.so you guys must understand that Israel was created illegally on Palestinian land and they will never give up their legitimate stance.
+
wisdoms
post 3.Jun.2010, 08:23 PM
Post #15

A completely biased article! Well written, to hide the facts and prove the violent acts of Israel right. Instead of admitting and condemning, what Israel did wrong switched the focus to other matters. And let Israel do whatever they want, even they kill innocent unarmed people on daily basis?
Shame on Israel and shame on the writer
+

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: