The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
This discussion forum closed permanently on 25th February 2021.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Info on opening a bank account as a foreigner

Cash deposit

FreshEyes
post 5.Jul.2013, 03:50 PM
Post #1

I was curious about the process of opening a bank account as a foreigner without a personal ID number. I'll be living in Sweden (self-employed freelancer) but wanted the convenience of local banking with a debit card (not credit card). Judging from past posts I've read here, Handelsbankan and SEB are the two that seem to be recommended as foreigner-friendly options to open an account with just your passport. I've contacted them via email just to get some information but only get the runaround with customer service agents forwarding amongst themselves. Could anyone share any sort of experience with the ease or difficulty of opening a basic account (debit card, not credit card).

Moreover, would it be possible to make an initial cash deposit in the equivalent of $15,000+ (us dollars) or euros? Or are restrictive banking regulations on large cash deposits in Sweden?
Go to the top of the page
+
Belize
post 5.Jul.2013, 04:26 PM
Post #2

Although I have owned property in Sweden for the past 2 years, I am unable to open a Swedish bank account. I don't have a personal number. I must also admit that I have not spent much time trying to get one. However, I will be trying harder in the next couple months while I am here in Sweden. It will make many things easier. Bringing in any amount of money over $10,000 brings many questions in most banks around the world. The U.S. has seen to that. Any bank transfer over that amount is carefully scrutinized by banking officials both in the US and whatever country you are transferring the money to.
+
Johno
post 5.Jul.2013, 05:10 PM
Post #3

Its getting repetitive posting this fact, but "I am unable to open a Swedish bank account. I don't have a personal number." are not connected. You don't need a pn to open an account. You just need to find a bank who thinks you are the sort of person they want as a customer. "I must also admit that I have not spent much time trying to get one." Draw your own conclusion.
+
scandinavian leather
post 6.Jul.2013, 05:21 AM
Post #4

QUOTE (Johno @ 5.Jul.2013, 04:10 PM) *
Its getting repetitive posting this fact, but "I am unable to open a Swedish bank account. I don't have a personal number." are not connected. You don't need ... (show full quote)

And so you keep saying, Johno. For at least two or three years now.

QUOTE (Johno @ 5.Jul.2013, 08:54 AM) *
As a non resident cottage owner, its a fact in Sweden that if they want your business and dont perceive a risk, they will find a way round the system, if indeed a pn is requir ... (show full quote)

Interestingly enough, you never mentioned this salient little point in bold when we spoke about this back in 2011. That little line about dummy personnummers changes it, doesn't it?. No wonder you left it out laugh.gif

http://www.thelocal.se/discuss/index.php?s...c=38297&hl=

QUOTE (Johno @ 21.Jan.2011, 11:25 AM) *
You are loosing the plot here, and just enjoying having a rant. Its possible to have a bank account in Sweden without being Swedish or having a Swedish personnummer. Like myse ... (show full quote)

Ingenting there either.

QUOTE (Johno @ 21.Jan.2011, 12:48 PM) *
Just to nit pick here but on a matter of fact. You are forming a belief on your individual personal experience. But to get a Swedish bank account you find a sympathetic bank, ... (show full quote)

Nope, nothing there about dummy personnummers either. "sympathetic bank" or illegal but hey, you're investing money in their "sympathetic" bank so what's a blind eye if a profit is being off your account?
+
scandinavian leather
post 6.Jul.2013, 05:33 AM
Post #5

QUOTE (Johno @ 5.Jul.2013, 04:10 PM) *
Its getting repetitive posting this fact, but "I am unable to open a Swedish bank account. I don't have a personal number." are not connected. You don't need ... (show full quote)

And so you keep saying, Johno. For at least two or three years now.

QUOTE (Johno @ 5.Jul.2013, 08:54 AM) *
As a non resident cottage owner, its a fact in Sweden that if they want your business and dont perceive a risk, they will find a way round the system, if indeed a pn is requir ... (show full quote)

Oh really? Shucks, you never mentioned that salient little point in bold when we spoke about this back in 2011. That little line about dummy personnummers changes it all, doesn't it?. No wonder you left it out laugh.gif

http://www.thelocal.se/discuss/index.php?s...c=38297&hl=

QUOTE (Johno @ 21.Jan.2011, 11:25 AM) *
You are loosing the plot here, and just enjoying having a rant. Its possible to have a bank account in Sweden without being Swedish or having a Swedish personnummer. Like myse ... (show full quote)

Ingenting there either.

QUOTE (Johno @ 21.Jan.2011, 12:48 PM) *
Just to nit pick here but on a matter of fact. You are forming a belief on your individual personal experience. But to get a Swedish bank account you find a sympathetic bank, ... (show full quote)

Nope, nothing there about dummy personnummers either. "sympathetic bank" or illegal but hey, you're investing money in their "sympathetic" bank so what's a blind eye if a profit is being off your account?

Oh wait, what is the difference between a dummy personnummer and dummy "code"?

QUOTE (Johno @ 21.Jan.2011, 04:18 PM) *
Now as a foreigner in Sweden, if they want your business and it doesnt involve credit, almost all will find a way with eg a dummy code if necessary. Car hire as an example. I ... (show full quote)

No doubt any reply from you will use "dummy" as an insult for those who dare not accept all you say without question. No worries there. Your own words say it all wink.gif
+
Johno
post 6.Jul.2013, 08:43 AM
Post #6

And so you keep saying,

laugh.gif

Did you feel better for that ? You seem to be upset about my mentioning or is it not mentioning about being given a fictitious pn. Given that the key to so many Swedish systems is pn input, surprise, surprise, a dummy number or string of zeros is how they do it. Apparently you dont like the idea that the way into your bank account is quoting your pn, or the idea that banks are businesses or the word dummy either, you dummy tongue.gif
+
scandinavian leather
post 6.Jul.2013, 10:09 AM
Post #7

Upset? Heavens to Betsy, no. I was chuckling as I re-read your sanctimonious posts.

From the number of posts I've made on here over the years, I don't take this seriously at all. I have had my real PN for over a decade now. I still think you're offering shit advice to people. And that you're full of it as well.

So, spit the dummy. Go on biggrin.gif
+
Belize
post 6.Jul.2013, 06:44 PM
Post #8

I'm sorry that I am not as smart as you Johno about how to trick the system. I can only relate the experience I have with trying to get a bank account here. I spent about 700,000sek on property for which I will have to pay property and a road tax (it's on a private road). Now I have permission to build so will also have to buy materials and pay for labor at least another 700,000SEK. I will also now have to start paying for electricity. But when I go to a bank here iin Sweden and explain my situation to a banker, they still ask for a pn. According to what you write the bankers are dummies for not allowing me to get a dummy pn. Maybe you can help me by telling me which bank I should use not just tell me I am a dummy. I was simply explaining to thOP what my experience was as an ordinary outsider trying to get a bank account, not someone who has a special situation.
+
Johno
post 6.Jul.2013, 07:16 PM
Post #9

Guess we are all dummies then biggrin.gif

ps Don't forget to bring this up to remind us all in a couple years time. laugh.gif
+
scandinavian leather
post 6.Jul.2013, 08:18 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (Johno @ 6.Jul.2013, 06:16 PM) *
Guess we are all dummies then biggrin.gif . ps Don't forget to bring this up to remind us all in a couple years time. laugh.gif

Speak for yourself.

A couple of years? Hell, with the number of times you've piped up on this topic another line of crap is just around the corner.

Or is it?

http://www.ekobrottsmyndigheten.se/en/

Reporting crime and leaving tip information

Do you have information that could be of use for the Swedish Economic Crime Authority, and want to tip us off? Or do you want to report suspected economic crime?

Why, yes. Yes, I do laugh.gif
+
Yorkshireman
post 7.Jul.2013, 11:16 AM
Post #11

QUOTE (FreshEyes @ 5.Jul.2013, 02:50 PM) *
I'll be living in Sweden (self-employed freelancer) but wanted the convenience of local banking with a debit card (not credit card).

Once you register with the Tax Office to pay taxes on your income you will be given either a personal number or co-ordination number, and can then open a bank account.
+
Mpf
post 7.Jul.2013, 04:33 PM
Post #12

Just curious but if you spend more than half the year in Sweden are you not automatically resident for tax purposes, in which case you should receive a personal number. Just a thought!
+
Rebekah Olsen
post 10.Jul.2013, 01:19 PM
Post #13

I can only talk from my experience. I've been here for 5 weeks (from the US). I have a person number, a residence card, employment contract, consistent Swedish income, and I still can't open a bank account. They tell me I need to also have a Swedish ID which will take 4-6 more weeks to get from skateverkette (tax agency). I have been really anxious to get a bank account so I can also apply for a bank loan to buy an apartment. So to the poster who owns his/her own property without a person number, I have no idea how you did it. Maybe you paid cash for the property and didn't use a bank - i dunno. Good luck.
+
Swindon_Jimbo
post 10.Jul.2013, 02:17 PM
Post #14

How will you get paid Rebekah? Surely your first pay cheque will be due before the 4-6 weeks?
+
agw9262
post 10.Jul.2013, 07:38 PM
Post #15

QUOTE (Rebekah Olsen @ 10.Jul.2013, 12:19 PM) *
I can only talk from my experience. I've been here for 5 weeks (from the US). I have a person number, a residence card, employment contract, consistent Swedish income, and ... (show full quote)

Try http://www.skandiabanken.se/hem/ - I moved here from the UK, registered ROR, found a place to live (had a job that I moved here for), got a PN. Applied and had an account open and a debit bank card in little over a week from Skandia. No real branches but given I didn't visit my UK bank branch in over 10 years, that's no big deal.

Not sure any lender will let you borrow money so quickly though, I imagine there is normally some period of time where you might accrue credit history before they consider you trustworthy but I am not sure.
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: