The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Free to Come and Go

FR
post 26.Jan.2006, 09:27 PM
Post #1

Wouldn't temporary migrants all want to stay in their new countries? Not necessarily. The report says temporary migration is the norm around the world: millions of Asian workers move for seasonal labour each year before returning home. And when Greece and Spain joined the EU (in 1981 and 1986), it was widely assumed their workers would flood northern Europe. The opposite happened: as the economies in those countries took off, in part aided by EU funds, emigrant workers went home.

Full article at:
http://smh.com.au/news/world/free-to-come-...ge#contentSwap3

Wealthy countries are apparently under some pressure to open their borders. It seems as though every country is complaining about this issue and the sending countries are complaining of a brain drain. Is it time to shut the borders and keep everyone in their country of birth?

I found the linked article quite interesting as it also tackles the issue of "sojourners".
Go to the top of the page
+
Sweet As Man
post 27.Jan.2006, 01:20 AM
Post #2

I'm a tempory migrant to sweden no doubt... I can't even begin to imagine living out my existance here long term, and interestingly neither can my swedish girlfriend, even she likes NZ better...

I'm here for 5 years total, which will actaully span about 7 years since I'm leaving at the end of this year for some long term travel, then we come back and so my partner can go to university for 4 years, then we'll leave again after that. To where? Who knows... but NZ will always be home for me and it's where we will settle eventually.

We will come back and live in Sweden when we have children some time in the future as we would both like them to have some years in their mothers country.

I think this type of tempory migrtation will more and more become the norm... you go somewhere for a while for whatever reason but you dont stay for ever, you go home when you've got what you want or you've had enough.
+
*Drummingdave*
post 27.Jan.2006, 08:36 AM
Post #3

You seem to have it all figured out. Hope you're enjoying every day because nobody's plans go that smoothly.
+
Jimmy
post 27.Jan.2006, 08:51 AM
Post #4

I agree with you SAM as long as both people agree. It is always better for kids to know both parents countries. Also good for people to experience other cultures
Home is always Home. Not like a certain Swedish lawyer said in court " He lives in Sweden so Sweden is his home"
Hope it works like you planned. Don't want to put a downer on them but we bought a house in Oz in Aug 97 started to renovate it, came to Sweden in Christmas 97 and now I have just found out that my ex re registered herself in Sweden at that time. :? She hadn't lived here for 16 years.Careful careful
+
FR
post 27.Jan.2006, 03:59 PM
Post #5

Economic theory predicts that an open border policy on the part of all countries would raise world GDP, improving the lives of all human beings.

Stebro should like that idea because migration is a way of transferring wealth from the rich to the poor (and with no guns or taxes!)
+
*Nico aka the boy wonder*
post 17.Mar.2006, 01:00 PM
Post #6

Im pro EU for the reason i like the idea of open boarder policy between EU member states.. there is already discussions going on in Holland and other EU countries about opening up the free labour policy even more and letting the new members since 2004 in on it earlier.

As a EU citizen i can just take my stuff and move to another EU country without work permit, visa and papers. I think its great.
+
Benzed
post 17.Mar.2006, 02:30 PM
Post #7

I like Sweet As´ views and plan, hope things can be so easily predicted though...
+
*Carol*
post 18.Mar.2006, 04:17 AM
Post #8

Here in California, migrant labour is hardly ever temporary. People might work illegally for a long time, but eventually one of the family gets papers, and then it is easier for the rest.

Now, I like so many Mexican people I meet, that I don't have a problem with any of them individually, but I had an allergic reaction and went to my doctor, to be told that I had to go to the emergency room,as they were vaccinating babies, and yet my insurance will not cover more than a tiny fraction of the cost. Most of the practice is Mexican American, and not all of them legal. Yet they can all go to the emergency room with no expectation of having to pay the bill. Then there's education...so much money for education for recent Mexican arrivals, so they can speak English, but of course, tuition is through the roof here in California, and getting worse.

Of course if these arrivals become legal, we will get taxes, but there will be more competition for spaces at colleges later, as the immigrant is seen as disadvantaged and therefore does not need top test scores for a place, but fewer places will be left to other kids who have to compete even more intensely with other kids for limited spaces, and other problems such as this.

My solution? Send lots of money to third world countries where the cost of everything is far less than in the States, therefore the cost of education, health care, and all the rest will actually be less than it is than if they come here. People will still come here to work, but they won't need to stay, as home has more to offer. And there will be more money for citizens of the US.

(And of course, work this for overseas spending in Iraq and other places where we war. Just send them a smaller check than the cost of the military services (9.8 billion per month!) and there will be more money for Katrina victims, education, and so on.)

And how lucky are the Mexicans who can retire to homes in Mexico with years of American wages, and not have the threat of losing their homes, as Americans can, who chose to retire in Mexico. That really upsets me. We pay more taxes, get fewer chances, while immigrants really reap the benefits. I can't believe that Mexican labour really is saving me money on food, when food was cheaper in Holland without Mexican labour!
+
*Littlefair*
post 18.Mar.2006, 05:32 PM
Post #9

Free to WHAT and go? :twisted:
+
FR
post 21.Mar.2006, 02:00 AM
Post #10

QUOTE (Carol)
Here in California, migrant labour is hardly ever temporary. People might work illegally for a long time, but eventually one of the family gets papers, and then it is easier for the rest.

Now, I like so many Mexican people I meet, that I don't have a problem with any of them individually, but I had an allergic reaction and went to my doctor, to be told that I had to go to the emergency room,as they were vaccinating babies, and yet my insurance will not cover more than a tiny fraction of the cost. Most of the practice is Mexican American, and not all of them legal. Yet they can all go to the emergency room with no expectation of having to pay the bill. Then there's education...so much money for education for recent Mexican arrivals, so they can speak English, but of course, tuition is through the roof here in California, and getting worse.

Of course if these arrivals become legal, we will get taxes, but there will be more competition for spaces at colleges later, as the immigrant is seen as disadvantaged and therefore does not need top test scores for a place, but fewer places will be left to other kids who have to compete even more intensely with other kids for limited spaces, and other problems such as this.

My solution? Send lots of money to third world countries where the cost of everything is far less than in the States, therefore the cost of education, health care, and all the rest will actually be less than it is than if they come here. People will still come here to work, but they won't need to stay, as home has more to offer. And there will be more money for citizens of the US.

(And of course, work this for overseas spending in Iraq and other places where we war. Just send them a smaller check than the cost of the military services (9.8 billion per month!) and there will be more money for Katrina victims, education, and so on.)

And how lucky are the Mexicans who can retire to homes in Mexico with years of American wages, and not have the threat of losing their homes, as Americans can, who chose to retire in Mexico. That really upsets me. We pay more taxes, get fewer chances, while immigrants really reap the benefits. I can't believe that Mexican labour really is saving me money on food, when food was cheaper in Holland without Mexican labour!

Do you know how many Mexicans are repatriated each day? The length of stay is usually two years, but has increased lately becuase it is harder and more expensive to get back and forth across the border.

Your argument about the emergency rooms doesn't make any sense. A Mexican-American hospital? What on earth are you talking about? Same with education. Only 6 percent or so of illegal aliens have their children with them. That is such a minute amount it's just silly to even worry about it. It would cost a lot more in so-called preventative strategy than in simply paying for the education.

Btw, when last did a landlord offer an illegal alien a discount on his rent for property taxes? Never! The amount of property tax is included in the rent and therefore they do pay towards the funding of schools. They also pay sales tax. In most cases, they also pay income tax because they use fake identification.

Space in college? Now there's the most outlandish argument I've ever heard. Colleges have to recruit overseas because there are not enough American students (unless you want to lower the standards).

Btw, the largest population of illegal aliens in Mexico is US citizens. It is illegal for a US citizen to own land in Mexico, which is why they can lose the land there. It's all a risk, isn't it?
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: