The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Sambo residence permit

Sambo of EU citizen not having permanent residence

post 18.Nov.2016, 11:16 AM
Post #1
Joined: 18.Nov.2016

Hi all,

I am a EU citizen (non-Swedish) living and working in Sweden since approximately 6 months ago.

I would like to request residence permit for my girlfriend (non-EU citizen) to become my sambo in Sweden and start living together. We have not yet cohabit together in any country so far and we are not married.

I have checked below page in Migrationsverket website:

It says "If you are a citizen of a non-EU country and want to move to a family member in Sweden, you require a residence permit. You can be granted a residence permit if you are planning to marry or become the common law spouse of someone in Sweden. The family member in Sweden must be a Swedish citizen or have a permanent residence permit."

As far as I understand I only have "right of residence" (automatically as EU citizen), but not "permanent right of residence" until I achieve 5 years in a row living in Sweden.

Thus, does it mean my application for sambo resident permit for my girlfriend would be rejected because I am not entitled to ask for this kind of permit (due to lack of permanent right of residence)? Only Swedish nationals and foreigners holding "permanent right of residence" may opt for this kind of permit?

Thanks for your comments!
Go to the top of the page
Case officer
post 18.Nov.2016, 12:39 PM
Post #2
Joined: 25.Jul.2012

Since girlfriends are not considered a family member in EU directive 2004/38/EC, you must have a permanent right of residence before your girlfriend can be granted a residence permit as your family member.
Go to the top of the page

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: